[comp.sys.amiga] Arrrrrgh!

macdonald@author.dec.com (Paul MacDonald -- DTN 223-3439) (11/21/86)

Frrrrredddd!!!!

Is it really necessary to upload all that Amiga cross-reference
material to the net? A really pain to scroll through. How 'bout
placing it into a net-accessible directory somewhere?

Paul

chapman@eris.UUCP (11/22/86)

In article <6538@decwrl.DEC.COM> macdonald@author.dec.com (Paul MacDonald -- DTN 223-3439) writes:
>Frrrrredddd!!!!
>
>Is it really necessary to upload all that Amiga cross-reference
>material to the net? A really pain to scroll through. How 'bout
>placing it into a net-accessible directory somewhere?
>
>Paul

YES!  It is very useful info if you do any significant programming on
the Amiga, or if you're curious about how the existing software works.

What do you mean, "all that stuff"?  There were exactly 3 messages, by
my count.  And "really pain to scroll through?"  What are you doing,
using some brain-dead news interface that makes you read all of every
article?  That's _your_ problem, not ours.

BTW, there _is_ no such thing as a "net-accessible directory" if you're
at a strictly-USENET site, which many (if not most) people in comp.sys.amiga
are.  The closest thing we have is the mod.amiga.sources group, which
has been doing a wonderful black hole immitation lately (probably through
no fault of the mod.amiga.sources moderator, however)...

Brent

--
Brent Chapman

chapman@eris.berkeley.edu	or	ucbvax!eris!chapman

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (11/22/86)

In article <6538@decwrl.DEC.COM> macdonald@author.dec.com (Paul MacDonald -- DTN 223-3439) writes:
>Is it really necessary to upload all that Amiga cross-reference
>material to the net? A really pain to scroll through. How 'bout
>placing it into a net-accessible directory somewhere?

Paul, from your return address I would guess you are on some net other
than usenet, and receive usenet postings via some gateway (I never have
figured out this gateway stuff :-).  So I really can't respond to your
suggestion of placing the information in a "net-accessible directory",
since I'm not sure what you mean.  I really hope you didn't HAVE to read
the entire posting if you weren't interested in it...

I did have some misgivings about such a large posting that is probably
of interest only to developers, and then only to that subset that has
Lattice C (although the Manx C header files are very similiar).
Since it is Amiga specific, it certainly didn't belong in net.sources,
or its equivalent under the new organization.

So, what say you developers, was it worthwhile or should I just stick
stuff like this on one of my disks and not post it?

-Fred

Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976

stever@videovax.UUCP (11/22/86)

In article <6538@decwrl.DEC.COM>, Paul MacDonald (macdonald@author.dec.com)
writes:

> Frrrrredddd!!!!
>
> Is it really necessary to upload all that Amiga cross-reference
> material to the net? A really pain to scroll through. How 'bout
> placing it into a net-accessible directory somewhere?

No, no, no, no, NO!!  Please, Fred, keep posting such useful things to
the net!  I just got finished writing and running a very simple shell
script that piped the concatenated input through _pr_ and _awk_ to
format it for printing.  Seventy-four pages later, I have some classy
documentation I can put in a notebook and refer to!

Thanks, Fred, for all you've done for the Amiga and us, the users.
Keep up the good work!

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (11/23/86)

>From: macdonald@author.dec.com (Paul MacDonald -- DTN 223-3439)
>Frrrrredddd!!!!
>
>Is it really necessary to upload all that Amiga cross-reference
>material to the net? A really pain to scroll through. How 'bout
>placing it into a net-accessible directory somewhere?
>
>    Paul

	Of course it's necessary!  It's not Fred's fault that you have
a defective news reading program.  I wonder what you do with all the
source people post to the net?

					-Matt

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (11/24/86)

In article <6538@decwrl.DEC.COM> macdonald@author.dec.com (Paul MacDonald -- DTN 223-3439) writes:
>Is it really necessary to upload all that Amiga cross-reference
>material to the net? A really pain to scroll through. How 'bout
>placing it into a net-accessible directory somewhere?
>Paul

Paul -
	Buy yourself a copy of "rn" and use the 'n' key.

keith

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (11/25/86)

>From: macdonald@author.dec.com (Paul MacDonald -- DTN 223-3439)
>Frrrrredddd!!!!
>
>Is it really necessary to upload all that Amiga cross-reference
>material to the net? A really pain to scroll through.

DEC's gateway (at decwrl) batches all the day's news together per
newsgroup and ships it off as one large mail message.  People
reading via VMS mail can't even know how large the file is until
they get to the end of the message.

Paul - extract the message to a file, and use an intelligent
utility (are there such things on VMess?) to skip articles (look
for Subject: lines).

Fred - keep 'em coming, man!

..Bob
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (11/25/86)

To whom it may not concern.

I appreciate the posting of the Lattice .h file cross reference.

To whom it does concern (Fred).

Please don't let the opinion of a few sway you.  Like all public
information provided in these times, it's the ranting and raveing few
who get heard instead of majority who remain silent (and appreciative).
Continue posting..

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

jones@dg_rtp.UUCP (Greg Jones) (12/03/86)

In article <6538@decwrl.DEC.COM> macdonald@author.dec.com (Paul MacDonald -- DTN 223-3439) writes:
>Frrrrredddd!!!!
>
>Is it really necessary to upload all that Amiga cross-reference
>material to the net? A really pain to scroll through. How 'bout
>placing it into a net-accessible directory somewhere?
>
>Paul

If you don't like it don't read it !! q-quit k-kill

--

				Greg Jones
				Data General, RTP, NC