[comp.sys.amiga] Bug in console.device?

page@ulowell.UUCP (11/27/86)

When I use some escape sequences to move the cursor (like CSInD to move
the cursor back n spaces), the cursor moves across line boundaries like
you would expect.  For example, if I want to move across a word that is
split between lines because the end of the window cuts it, it will do
so correctly.

However, the delete character (CSInP) command does not cross line
boundaries.  In fact, if I'm at column 70 of 77 and say 'CSI10P' to
delete 10 characters, it deletes the first 8 (70 through 77) as expected
but then instead of deleting 0, 1 and 2 of the next line, it deletes
69, 68 and 67 of the same line!

Is this a bug, or a feature?  I would say a bug, since the whole idea
of 'console' device is that it is a virtual terminal, and the program
should not have to constantly worry about what size the window is.

Sigh.  My only regret (besides the fact that now I have to write
code to emulate what the console.device should be doing) is that I
just found this, and two months ago it might have been fixed in time
for V1.2.

..Bob

PS All references to 'CSI' mean hex 9b, the Control Sequence Introducer.
PPS I am using 1.2 (KS 33.180).
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (12/03/86)

In article <791@ulowell.UUCP> page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:
>When I use some escape sequences to move the cursor (like CSInD to move
>the cursor back n spaces), the cursor moves across line boundaries like
>you would expect.  For example, if I want to move across a word that is
>split between lines because the end of the window cuts it, it will do
>so correctly.
>
>However, the delete character (CSInP) command does not cross line
>boundaries.  In fact, if I'm at column 70 of 77 and say 'CSI10P' to
>delete 10 characters, it deletes the first 8 (70 through 77) as expected
>but then instead of deleting 0, 1 and 2 of the next line, it deletes
>69, 68 and 67 of the same line!
>
>Is this a bug, or a feature?  I would say a bug, since the whole idea
>of 'console' device is that it is a virtual terminal, and the program
>should not have to constantly worry about what size the window is.

There are actually 2 bugs here...the first is that the cursor moves across
line boundaries, when moved with the cursor commands.  According to my
VT101, this is wrong.

The second is the way it deletes when it hits the end of line.
As you noticed, it then deletes too much.

>Sigh.  My only regret (besides the fact that now I have to write
>code to emulate what the console.device should be doing) is that I
>just found this, and two months ago it might have been fixed in time
>for V1.2.

me too.  (sigh)
>..Bob

			andy finkel

--

			andy finkel
			Commodore/Amiga

"Never make anything simple and efficient when it can be complex and wonderful."