[comp.sys.amiga] Ultima III and other gripes

brent@well.UUCP (Brent Southard) (12/02/86)

I recently bought Ultima III for the Amiga, and was very disappointed to find
that I cannot back it up.  I've tried Marauder, but I don't have any codes, and
I don't want to wait for Discovery Software to answer my pleas.  I've also
tried QuickEA (seeing that this product is at least distributed by EA), but it
also fails.  In any case the copy seems to work until I try Transactions, at
which time I'm told that "Honesty is a virtue.  I will not help you.".  C'mon,
am I really expected to use my master disk for a game with constant reading and
WRITING of/to the disk?  Has anyone found a way to back this game up yet?
have any other purchasers of Marauder been notified by Discovery of an update
path for Marauder II?  Is it still vaporware?  So far, the only company who
has sent me any promised update information is CSI, for their Multi-Forth
system.  The ones who haven't include Electronic Arts, Discovery, and Amiga
(for Amiga Lattice C).  This is getting ridiculous.  I understand Aegis, a
company with a seemingly sparkling reputation, is also guilty of the same
promises.

"They say 'so what?'
 I say 'so this.'"  - Iggy

brent

lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac) (12/02/86)

In article <2149@well.UUCP> brent@well.UUCP (Brent Southard) writes:
>have any other purchasers of Marauder been notified by Discovery of an update
>path for Marauder II?  Is it still vaporware?
>
>brent

I called Discovery the day before Thanksgiving, and this is what I was
told:

	Registered owners of Marauder will be notified beginning of Dec that
Marauder II is available.  Upgrade of $10 + $5 shipping and ORIGINAL DISK!
	They suggested that if I wanted to beat the rush, to send it out
now.  They said they were expecting a turn over rate of about 4 weeks because
of the volume of users.

			lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu

flocchini@ucdavis.UUCP (flocchini) (12/02/86)

> I recently bought Ultima III for the Amiga, and was very disappointed to find
> that I cannot back it up.  I've tried Marauder, but I don't have any codes, and
> I don't want to wait for Discovery Software to answer my pleas.  I've also
> tried QuickEA (seeing that this product is at least distributed by EA), but it
> also fails.  In any case the copy seems to work until I try Transactions, at
> which time I'm told that "Honesty is a virtue.  I will not help you.".  C'mon,
> am I really expected to use my master disk for a game with constant reading and
> WRITING of/to the disk?  Has anyone found a way to back this game up yet?
> have any other purchasers of Marauder been notified by Discovery of an update
> path for Marauder II?  Is it still vaporware?  So far, the only company who
> has sent me any promised update information is CSI, for their Multi-Forth
> system.  The ones who haven't include Electronic Arts, Discovery, and Amiga
> (for Amiga Lattice C).  This is getting ridiculous.  I understand Aegis, a
> company with a seemingly sparkling reputation, is also guilty of the same
> promises.
>
> "They say 'so what?'
>  I say 'so this.'"  - Iggy

i called discivery software and they said marauder II should be
shipping by dec 10. updates will be available for a nominal charge.

aegis has sent an announcement regarding updates for draw. i received
this about a week ago.

lattice has announced update for c compiler ( 3.1) if you pur-chased
from them you should have got a card.

bob flocchini
ucdavis

> brent

timothyb@crash.UUCP (Timothy Burleson) (12/04/86)

I called Copperstate Software, makers of the QuickNibble copy program, and
they said that version 1.1 of QNibble will NOT copy Defender of the Crown or
Ultima III. However, if you mail them your original disk, they will have the
new update in 2-4 weeks, which they will send to you if you include the
proper return postage.

Timothy B. Burleson
San Diego Swamplands

{akgua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}!crash!timothyb