[comp.sys.amiga] Simple question on printers

rminnich@dewey.udel.EDU (Ronald G. Minnich) (11/29/86)

Does anyone out there have a Star Delta 10? Have you used it
with Deluxe Paint? Have you noticed that your pictures look BAD?
What do you do?

I have tried messing with all the preferences. No matter what
I do with either the CBM10000 or EPSON drivers what I get just plain
looks lousy. 1.1 and 1.2 gamma 1 both have the same problem: some
horizontal lines made wider than others, letters with lines dropped
out or squashed horizontally, etc. Do I have to go back to MacPaint
as one person suggested? Any ideas?

Thanks,
   ron (rminnich@dewey.udel.edu)

andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (12/03/86)

In article <800@ulowell.UUCP> rminnich@dewey.udel.EDU (Ronald G. Minnich) writes:
>Does anyone out there have a Star Delta 10? Have you used it
>with Deluxe Paint? Have you noticed that your pictures look BAD?
>What do you do?
>
>I have tried messing with all the preferences. No matter what
>I do with either the CBM10000 or EPSON drivers what I get just plain
>looks lousy. 1.1 and 1.2 gamma 1 both have the same problem: some
>horizontal lines made wider than others, letters with lines dropped
>out or squashed horizontally, etc. Do I have to go back to MacPaint
>as one person suggested? Any ideas?

The Epson driver is compatible with Epson X-80s, etc.
The MPS-1000 driver can be used with IBM compatible printers.

I'm not familiar with the Star Delta 10.  But if its not compatible
with either of those, you could write a driver for it yourself.

It also could be a hardware problem with the printer line feed mechanism,
or with the printer head.

Or, since the first thing that happens when you start a graphic print is
that the printer is sent a HARDWARE RESET, perhaps the Star needs more
time than we allow to recover, and be ready to accept data.

If you have MacPaint, you probably have an ImageWriter...V1.2
supports the ImageWriter II.  I think that the ImageWriter I was
moderately compatible, right ?

>Thanks,
>   ron (rminnich@dewey.udel.edu)

				andy finkel
--

			andy finkel
			Commodore/Amiga

"Never make anything simple and efficient when it can be complex and wonderful."

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (12/03/86)

> Does anyone out there have a Star Delta 10? Have you used it
> with Deluxe Paint? Have you noticed that your pictures look BAD?
> What do you do?
>
> I have tried messing with all the preferences. No matter what
> I do with either the CBM10000 or EPSON drivers what I get just plain
> looks lousy. 1.1 and 1.2 gamma 1 both have the same problem: some
> horizontal lines made wider than others, letters with lines dropped
> out or squashed horizontally, etc. Do I have to go back to MacPaint
> as one person suggested? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>    ron (rminnich@dewey.udel.edu)

NO! Don't go back to MacPaint, PLEASE!  I haven't seen many here, but in
general I've seen quite a few Public Domain printer drivers, including
at least a couple Star drivers.  I don't know much about Star printers,
but they'd be worth a look-at.  You can probably find some of these on
the Fred Fish disks, definately on Compuserve, and likely as well on
local private BBSs.

Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"Laws to supress tend to strengthen what they would prohibit.
	 This is the fine point on which all the legal professions of
	 history have based their job security."
						-Bene Gesserit Coda

These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they may be yours too.

conte@uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU (12/05/86)

> .... Do I have to go back to MacPaint
> as one person suggested? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> ron (rminnich@dewey.udel.edu)

Who suggested that?!

Tom Conte      University of Illinois
uucp:	 {ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uicsrd!conte
arpanet: conte%uicsrd@a.cs.uiuc.edu  or  conte@huey.udel.edu
csnet:	 conte%uicsrd@uiuc.csnet	usnail: 208 W. Oregon, Urbana, IL 61801
bitnet:	 conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu