[comp.sys.amiga] Computerland pulls out

lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac) (11/30/86)

In article <1986Nov29.125248.15249@utcs.uucp> wagner@utcs.uucp (Michael Wagner) writes:

>I called my local dealer today, and he told me that, as of yesterday,
>Computerland doesn't handle Amigas any more.  Not here in Canada, not
>in the states; nowhere.
>The reason given by headquarters is that the price of the Amiga has
>dropped too low.

Seems to be an anti-rumour of something I heard when the Amiga first hit
the market.  It seems "business" machines  must be priced >$1500 or they
don't classify as business.  The Amiga was artificially inflated at first
so that CBM *COULD* sell it as a business machine.
	At least that is what I heard about a year ago...

				lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu

dwd@ttrda.UUCP (Dave Dykstra ) (12/04/86)

I just called my local Computerland (in Niles, IL) and they knew nothing
about Computerland pulling out of the Amiga market.  They expect to continue
selling the Amiga.

Back in March I bought my Amiga from them with a different monitor.  That was
during the first deal of "buy your Amiga get a free $500 monitor".  I pushed
hard and got them to sell me a Sony CPD-1201 monitor for an extra $150.
I expect they then sold my "free" monitor after the deal went off.  They
probably wouldn't do that any more since the current deal doesn't appear
to have an expiration date.

Commodore, why don't you sell the Amiga with a better monitor?

	- Dave Dykstra
	  AT&T (Teletype)
	  {any major AT&T machine including ihnp4}!ttmcsa!dwd

ee162faq@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (JOHN SCHULTZ) (12/06/86)

computerlands are franchised (french-fried?), so it is up to the
local owners as to what they'll carry.  out here, local CL's are
carrying their own cheapie pc turbo-x deluxe special with their own
name on it. I guess 7-eleven will have their own line out before
xmas.