[comp.sys.amiga] Alternative Amiga monitors

sean@ukma.uky.csnet (Sean Casey) (11/19/86)

I am going to buy an Amiga in January, and I'd like consider an alternate
monitor.  The monitor from Commodore is pretty good, but I need the text
fonts to be as sharp as possible because I will be doing development work
in C.  Does anyone out there own an alternative monitor?  If you do, what
do you think of it?

I'm very fond of Sony products, and if they make a good monitor that uses
the Amiga output (I don't know what video format it uses -- forgot to ask),
can you tell me the model number and possibly a dealer?

Thanks,

Sean
Sean Casey      UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean           CSNET:  sean@ms.uky.csnet
		ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa    BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET

daveb@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Berezowski GUEST) (11/20/86)

In article <5132@ukma.uky.csnet> sean@ukma.uky.csnet (Sean Casey) writes:

>I am going to buy an Amiga in January, and I'd like consider an alternate
>monitor.  The monitor from Commodore is pretty good, but I need the text
>fonts to be as sharp as possible because I will be doing development work
>in C.  Does anyone out there own an alternative monitor?  If you do, what
>do you think of it?

	I have seen the Amiga on a 'black matrix picture tube' monitor and the
picture was nothing short of fantastic!!! It looked just like an Atari 520 ST
screen. in fact when I first saw it I thought it was an Atari 520 ST.

	Apparently these monitors aren't that easy to find and cost about
$100- $150 more, BUT if you're going to look at the screen all day, perhaps
its worth the extra cost.  If you are going to go this route, keep in mind
that these monitors are available with non-glare screens as well.  I've
been told by people who use these monitors that while the non-glare version
at first is nice to look at it tends to smear the picture a bit so they
prefer the normal version.

	Sorry, but I don't know of a manufacturer or any place to get them.

	Good luck, Regards, David Berezowski

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) (11/20/86)

In article <5132@ukma.uky.csnet> sean@ukma.uky.csnet (Sean Casey) writes:

>I am going to buy an Amiga in January, and I'd like consider an alternate
>monitor...
>
>I'm very fond of Sony products, and if they make a good monitor that uses
>the Amiga output (I don't know what video format it uses -- forgot to ask),
>can you tell me the model number and possibly a dealer?

   The Sony KV1311-CR displays the Amiga RGB-analog video nicely.
It runs about $500 and I believe it has composite, digital RGB, and
analog RGB inputs.  In addition, it is a color TV.

   Don't know where you can get one.  I've never seen one in a
department store.  I would suggest trying video stores, computer
stores and large appliance outlets.  Or call Sony and ask them
where the nearest dealer is.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

rogue@well.UUCP (L. Brett Glass) (11/28/86)

   Here, lineater, lineater, lin

Well, if you're able to get an Amiga dealer ANYWHERE to sell you an A1000
without a monitor, PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHO S/HE IS! Apparently, due to
Commodore's pricing structure (as well as the "free" monitor promotion
earlier this year), virtually every dealer I've encountered has ordered
an Amiga monitor for every Amiga and will not unbundle the two. My local
dealer (and he's a friend on mine!) suggested that I buy the system WITH
the monitor and try to sell it when I get my 25" XBR. Suuuuure, everyone
wants an Amiga monitor, right?

Apparently, the only source which has EVER willingly sold the Amiga
without a monitor is Commodore itself back in the early days of the
developer program. If I'm wrong about this, I'd sure like to know about it!
<rogue>

robinson@shadow.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Robinson) (11/28/86)

In article <2131@well.UUCP> rogue@well.UUCP (L. Brett Glass) writes:
>dealer (and he's a friend on mine!) suggested that I buy the system WITH
>the monitor and try to sell it when I get my 25" XBR. Suuuuure, everyone
>wants an Amiga monitor, right?

No, but *everybody* wants a color monitor that accepts composite NTSC and
has an audio amplifier :-)!

Amiga monitors can be sold for use with Apples, IBM clones, VCR's, etc.
My monitor is the most versatile piece of electronics I own.

         "If you study the logistics and heuristics of the mystics,
          You will find that their minds rarely move in a line"

Abu Nidal is conspiring to assasinate Reagan and smuggle bombs into the NSA.

Mike Robinson                                 USENET:  ucbvax!ernie!robinson
                                              ARPA: robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu

conte@uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU (11/30/86)

>dealer (and he's a friend on mine!) suggested that I buy the system WITH
>the monitor and try to sell it when I get my 25" XBR. Suuuuure, everyone
>wants an Amiga monitor, right?

I have used my monitor with a inexpensive VCR to make a great color TV.
The Amiga monitor performs very well.  I'm interested to hear what other
interesting things people have used their Amiga monitors for (besides
tornado-resistant paper weights :-).

						Tom

Tom Conte      University of Illinois
uucp:	 {ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uicsrd!conte
arpanet: conte%uicsrd@a.cs.uiuc.edu  or  conte@huey.udel.edu
csnet:	 conte%uicsrd@uiuc.csnet	usnail: 208 W. Oregon, Urbana, IL 61801
bitnet:	 conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

hadeishi@husc4.harvard.edu (mitsuharu hadeishi) (12/05/86)

	Quite a few dealers sell the Sony KV-1311CR or the Sony KV-1310
RGB monitors with the Amiga.  In fact, Winner's Circle Systems
in Berkeley, CA was selling A1000's with KV-1311's for about $150
more than with the A1080; also KV-1310's for the same price as with
the A1080  (the KV-1311 is a mirrorblack cylindrical tube fine pitch
RGB monitor with a built-in tuner, composite input, and remote control.
The KV-1310 is the same as the 1311 but with only the RGB input.
Supports both digital and analog RGB.)

	However, that was during the non-free monitor deal days.
Don't know what the current situation is.

				-Mitsu

eric@umbc3.UMD.EDU (eric messick) (12/09/86)

In article <2131@well.UUCP> rogue@well.UUCP (L. Brett Glass) writes:
>Well, if you're able to get an Amiga dealer ANYWHERE to sell you an A1000
>without a monitor, PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHO S/HE IS! Apparently, due to
>
>Apparently, the only source which has EVER willingly sold the Amiga
>without a monitor is Commodore itself back in the early days of the
>developer program. If I'm wrong about this, I'd sure like to know about it!
><rogue>

Well, I already had a monitor I was reasonably happy with when I bought
my Amiga, and my dealer was quite happy to sell me one without a monitor.
This was, lessee, when did I get it?  Well, it was more than 6 months ago,
anyway...  The dealer?  Software Advantage in Rockville, MD.

-eric messick

--
#include <standard/disclamer.h>
#define SILLY_QUOTE	I've lost my harmonica, Albert....