[comp.sys.amiga] PageSetter program -- query

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (12/13/86)

Could someone please tell me whether or not PageSetter is available
*now*, the publisher's address, and how much it costs?

I have a friend that does a lot of C hacking for a business that sells
industrial solvents and other boring products of the type.  They have
to put together a catalog of their current offeings.  Basically, they
want to:

	1) Use a video camera connected to a frame grabber to digitize
	   a photo of the product in question.

	2) Use a "desktop publishing" program to lay out a page for
	   the catalog that includes the digital image along with a
	   textual description (using different typefaces and sizes).

	3) Print this on some output device (does NOT have to be a
	   LaserWriter...they'd be satisfied with an Epson) to produce
	   the output for each page in the manual.

Obviously, the Mac has programs to do exactly this, and the
Thunderscan hardware and software can be obtained rather cheaply.
However, they don't want to pay the price tag for a Mac.  They tried
an ST (on loan) with some package that a dealer supplied but it didn't
have the right combination of features.  The Amiga wasn't even in
consideration since it just didn't have the software to do the job.
Right now they plan to purchase the ST as soon as this company comes
out with a new version of their software.

A reconditioned Amiga from Micro-World (about $1000) combined with the
Digi-View digitizer and a desk-top publishing program would really
suit their needs.  If someone supplies me with information about
PageSetter I might be able to abort the purchase of an ST.

| Mike Portuesi								     |
| Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department		     |
|									     |
| ARPA: mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu						     |
| UUCP: {harvard | seismo | ucbvax | decwrl}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp	     |
|									     |
| "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"		     |
|			--Laurie Anderson, "Home of the Brave"		     |

eric@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Eric Lavitsky) (12/14/86)

Yeah - PageSetter is available now - my dealer is expecting several
in from the distributor next week - The software is nice, I have
played with it (dang VT100 isn't letting me type periods in here!)
If you want to find it, I suggest you call them at 416-828-0913,
ask for Becky Ashwell (you'll probably get her by default, and please
tell her where you got her number) and see if she can get you the name
of a distributor in your area that has it - Then, call that
distributor and find the nearest store that will have it

Good Luck,
Eric

PS - Mike, I haven't forgotten about you - I'm sending the material
out Monday!
--
ARPA:	LAVITSKY@RUTGERS or LAVITSKY@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...topaz!eric

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (12/16/86)

> Could someone please tell me whether or not PageSetter is available
> *now*, the publisher's address, and how much it costs?

I've got a copy of it, which I picked up at the World of Commodore show
in Toronto.  The company is "The Gold Disk", P.O. Box 789, Streetsville,
Ontario L5M 2C2.  They don't have a US distributer yet last I talked to
them, though you should be able to order direct from them.  Their price
at the show was around $190.00 Canadian, which is probably somewhere around
$150.00 US $$$.  Their number is (416) 828-0913.

> they want to:
> 	1) Use a video camera connected to a frame grabber to digitize
> 	   a photo of the product in question.

No problem, use Digiview, digitize to an IFF image.  You can pull most
IFF images into the PageSetter, I think it normally handles 640x200 or
320x200 images.  There only cover part of a page, though, I've been able
to very easily create a larger image by overlaying smaller sections.  The
program give you very fine control of the position of any image.

> 	2) Use a "desktop publishing" program to lay out a page for
> 	   the catalog that includes the digital image along with a
> 	   textual description (using different typefaces and sizes).

Should work with no problem at all, here.  PageSetter can use any Amiga
font.  It comes only with the standard Amiga supplied fonts.  But there
are at least 2 commercial font collections (Zuma, one other), plus various
public domain collections that might be useful.  The program will allow
you to adjust the attributes of any font, to result in bold, underlined,
italic, boxed, shadowed, and possibly other styles.  And of course, the
Font Editor in 1.2 can be used to create your own, if you've got any
special needs.

> 	3) Print this on some output device (does NOT have to be a
> 	   LaserWriter...they'd be satisfied with an Epson) to produce
> 	   the output for each page in the manual.

The current PageSetter works with any standard Amiga supported printer, which
basically means anything you can write a Preferences selected driver for.
The Gold Disk folks out at the show were using a laser printer that emulates
an Epson dot-matrix, and its output looked very nice.

> Right now they plan to purchase the ST as soon as this company comes
> out with a new version of their software.

Big mistake, buy the Amiga!

> A reconditioned Amiga from Micro-World (about $1000) combined with the
> Digi-View digitizer and a desk-top publishing program would really
> suit their needs.  If someone supplies me with information about
> PageSetter I might be able to abort the purchase of an ST.

Wanna know anything else, lemme know.  Or call Commodore, in West Chester,
and ask for Dave Haynie if you're in a hurry (though I'm often easier to
reach via computer).

 Mike Portuesi
 Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department

Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"Laws to supress tend to strengthen what they would prohibit.
	 This is the fine point on which all the legal professions of
	 history have based their job security."
						-Bene Gesserit Coda

These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they may be yours too.

higgin@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Paul Higginbottom GUEST) (12/17/86)

In article <1106@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>Could someone please tell me whether or not PageSetter is available
>*now*, the publisher's address, and how much it costs?
>| Mike Portuesi
>| Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
>| ARPA: mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu
>| UUCP: {harvard | seismo | ucbvax | decwrl}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp

Gold Disk is the company that developed it (I believe), and I have a business
card from someone at the company and it reads...

Gold Disk, Inc.
2179 Dunwin Drive, #6, Mississauga, Ontario L5L 1X2 (CANADA)
(416)828-0913

This is a card from one of the technical staff so I sure hope I haven't just
posted his home address and phone #!  Oh well, he's probably on royalties
so he'll be glad to know people want his program... :-)

	Paul.

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine, and I work for nobody.

mikeb@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Mike Brenner SW) (12/17/86)

In article <1106@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>Could someone please tell me whether or not PageSetter is available
>*now*, the publisher's address, and how much it costs?
>
>	1) Use a video camera connected to a frame grabber to digitize
>	   a photo of the product in question.
>
>	2) Use a "desktop publishing" program to lay out a page for
>	   the catalog that includes the digital image along with a
>	   textual description (using different typefaces and sizes).
>
>	3) Print this on some output device (does NOT have to be a
>	   LaserWriter...they'd be satisfied with an Epson) to produce
>	   the output for each page in the manual.
>
>| Mike Portuesi								     |
>| Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department		     |
Pagesetter will do this just fine. I have done it myself, including
the digitzed image.

The product is from The Gold Disk in Toronto Cdn.

The Gold Disk
P.O. Box 789
Streetsville, Ontario  Canada
        L5M 2C2

P.S. Get him a copy of the Fish fonts as well. They look great in Pagesetter.

Mike Brenner, Commodore Business Machines