[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Compatable Monitor Info coming Real Soon Now

sean@ukma.ms.uky.csnet (Sean Casey) (12/14/86)

I've been compiling information about the various monitors available that
are compatable with the Commodore Amiga.  I've gotten information about
the entire product line from Amdek, Sony, Taxan, Nec, and Princeton Graphics
Systems.  The only monitor that I don't have info on is the 1080 from
Commodore.  Could someone tell me a bit about this monitor?  I need:

	Screen Size
	Dot Pitch
	Resolution H and V
	Input Types	(Dig RGB, Analog RGB, Composite)
	Bandwidth
	Horizontal Sync range
	Suggested Retail Price

This is the information I'm including for each monitor.  Is there anything
else you would like to know?  One thing I don't know about is the availability
of matching cables for the monitors I'm listing.

A preview:

The best monitors seem to be from SONY.  All of theirs take both Digital and
Analog RGB input.  They are all based on their famous Trinitron line.  They
all have microblack masking.  Some also have the finest dot pitch (.25mm) of
*any* monitor I've researched.  Sony also makes a projection monitor with
900 H lines or resolution that can project a 200" diagonal image!!! All of
their sets have flat (vertically) tubes so that light from above is reflected
down from the screen.  I always did like Sony.  Nice stuff.

Sean
Sean Casey      UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean           CSNET:  sean@ms.uky.csnet
		ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa    BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET

In article <5319@ukma.ms.uky.csnet> sean@ukma.ms.uky.csnet (Sean Casey) writes:
>The best monitors seem to be from SONY.  All of theirs take both Digital and
>Analog RGB input.  They are all based on their famous Trinitron line.  They
>all have microblack masking.  Some also have the finest dot pitch (.25mm) of
>*any* monitor I've researched.  Sony also makes a projection monitor with
>900 H lines or resolution that can project a 200" diagonal image!!! All of
>their sets have flat (vertically) tubes so that light from above is reflected
>down from the screen.  I always did like Sony.  Nice stuff.

Well, that flat vertical is great at work where all of the lights are overhead,
but at home where the lights are around the room at eye level, it's the pits.

What does everyone out there think of monitors with etched glass screens?
One of the best screens I've ever used at 640x400 (tho noninterlaced) was
the Canon PC.  It had a 'Sharp' monitor built in, .31 dot pitch I believe,
and I was very impressed with the display quality.  I use etched glass
monitors here for non-Amigas much, and I like them.  My biggest complaint
with the Sony tube is I have a hard time making out the graphics from among
the reflections of the room I'm seeing on the screen.

If filters are an answer, then WHY aren't they included plain vanilla?
I'm amazed that no one else complains about this problems.  Maybe you
all sit and program in dark rooms, or with hoods over your CRTs?  Have
you ever tried to use it for presentations (oh that's right, at work
the lights are overhead!)?

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

eric@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Eric Lavitsky) (12/17/86)

I've been told by Jeff Porter at CBM that a crt with a black
matrix picture tube provides an excellent display on the Amiga.
Anyone out there care to comment on the merits of this technology?
What it does, what monitors have it and how much do they cost?

Eric

--
ARPA:	Lavitsky@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...ulysses!eric