[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Hires

min@jplpro.UUCP (kun chung) (12/04/86)

I was very disappoionted with the flickering of the 640x400 interlaced hires
mode.  Is there any easy/inexpensive solution for this ?  I understand that
this is so because the video output is inherently interlaced.  However, is it
possible to remove/lessen the flickering using a good/special color monitor ?

Thanks for your responses.
--
Min-Kun Chung
Jet Propulsion Laboratory

>I was very disappoionted with the flickering of the 640x400 interlaced hires
>mode.  Is there any easy/inexpensive solution for this ?  I understand that
>this is so because the video output is inherently interlaced.  However, is it
>possible to remove/lessen the flickering using a good/special color monitor ?
>
>Thanks for your responses.

	The video output is not inherently interlace.

	There was a huge discussion of this on the net a while back the
general points being:

	-On a normal monitor, the lower the brightness, the less the flicker

	-I have found a dark (almost black) green background with a
	 white-blue forground best.  But even so, I went back to using
	 a non-interlace workbench to save my eyes from long term strain.

	If you want to get rid of the flicker entirely, you have to by a
	long-persistance phosphor monitor, which can get expensive.

				-Matt

ee162faq@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (Here/There at once) (12/08/86)

Two simple solutions:
  1. Wear circularly polarized sunglasses.
  2. Buy a "                 " filter for your monitor.

John
7OHN

dickow@ui3.UUCP (12/08/86)

It looks like a high-persistence color monitor is required to really get rid
of all the HAM mode flicker. Very expensive proposition -- circa 700-1000
bucks. However, very selective color usage can minimize the effect, and I
have read that some commercial programs are using this in their programs.
The flicker varies. I saw a monitor on an Amiga system that just jiggled
a little at the top of the screen...not tooo bad!

carolyn@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) (12/10/86)

In article <383@jplpro.UUCP> min@jplpro.UUCP (min-kun chung) writes:
>I was very disappoionted with the flickering of the 640x400 interlaced hires
>mode.  Is there any easy/inexpensive solution for this ?  I understand that
>this is so because the video output is inherently interlaced.  However, is it
>possible to remove/lessen the flickering using a good/special color monitor ?

Some ways to reduce flicker:

1. Reduce light/dark contrast between displayed colors by adjusting
   colors and/or monitor.  Try colors with similar luminance but
   different hues.

2. Use a font designed for interlace.  There are some floating around.
   (on this net I believe)

3. If you are writing interlace software, avoid thin horizontal
   contrasting lines.

4. Sony analog RGB monitors like the KV1311CR seem to have slightly
   longer persistence than ours.  If you can find one, they're nice.
   Analog, digital, composite AND it's a TV.   $500

5. If you want to spend MORE bucks, get a REAL high persistence
   monitor, try Electrohome ECM1301 HR Color, or Mitsubishi
   C-3479LPAG-WC.

6. Wear sunglasses.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/12/86)

In article <1083@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner) writes:
>5. If you want to spend MORE bucks, get a REAL high persistence
>   monitor, try Electrohome ECM1301 HR Color, or Mitsubishi
>   C-3479LPAG-WC.

I am seriously considering getting one of these.  I would appreciate mail
from any users that have either of these monitors, with a quick summary of
your experience and where you ordered yours from.

Thanks.

(I will summarize responses if I get enough)

-Fred
Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976

czhj@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (Ted <^_^>) (12/15/86)

Ahh...more flicker comments.  People, as has been said before, this isn't
the Amiga's fault (no, this isn't an attack on previous poster's comments)
it is simply the way things work with an NTSC interlaced screen.  You can
easilly see 30hz flicker if the contrast is set up high, the way people like
to set it.  Try setting up the screen preferences so that the screen looks
like a Mac -- that is, inverse video.  Medium gray background, dark foreground
colors.  Then, when you draw thin lines and other stuff that would normally
flicker, there ain't nothing to flicker, as it's always dark!  If you insist
on drawing many horizontal lines separated by only one line, then the
background will flicker (single pixel bright lines always will), however
keeping the contrast low will reduce the problem to a minimum.  You might
also try turning off that annoying overhead fluorescent light, as the two
flickering togethering can drive you insane (literaly, some studies showed
that flickering lights is enough to cause mental disorders -- no, I have no
references, sorry).  Anyway, unless somebody comes out with a scan doubler,
which is a box that keeps the flicker away by filling in the lines, you just
have to play with your preferences and/or change lighting.

And another thing, try proper adjustments on your monitor.  It's frightening
how few people really know how to adjust their screens.  it takes a steady
hand on the V-hold, but if you set it just right, you can get rid of almost
any indication of raster lines, which won't do much for flicker, but will
allow you to take superb photos from the monitor (use long exposures and a tripod as well for best results.  Also, watch out for reflections...).

Well, that's about it for now.  Have phun and keep the contrast LOW.

---Ted Inoue

steve@wlbreng1.UUCP (Steve Childress) (12/16/86)

-------
Re: Interlaced flicker in 640 mode:

I run emacs and cli in the 48 line mode, routinely, with no complaints.
I could never understand all the gripes about flicker, as my system is
acceptable with preferences-set white at 80% on a blue background.

One day, however, a fellow visited and remarked "WOW! How do you get so
little flicker?"   The answer seemed to be that I use a 1070 monitor
whereas he used a 1080.

None the less, I really prefer the 48-line EMACS to vi on a Wyse-75 at work!

	Regards,
		Steve Childress
		(818) 706-5247 (days)
		{trwrb, scgvaxd, ihnp4, voder, jplgodo} !wlbr!wlbreng1!steve

hull@hao.UUCP (Howard Hull) (12/17/86)

In article <152@wlbreng1.UUCP>, steve@wlbreng1.UUCP (Steve Childress) writes:
> -------
> Re: Interlaced flicker in 640 mode:
>
> I run emacs and cli in the 48 line mode, routinely, with no complaints.
> I could never understand all the gripes about flicker, as my system is
> acceptable with preferences-set white at 80% on a blue background.

One day while I was comfortably using Aegis Draw in a brightly lit room
(after having invoked setlace) a guy walked in and said "My GOD how can
you stand looking at that display!"  I said "Huh?"  He said "It is
kajumpin all over the bejezzes place - don't you see it?"  I said "No."
We got into discussion about this, and dragged in a bunch of others.  It
drove half of them nuts.  Since we are photodetector phreaks around here,
the discussion eventually expanded to the matter of why - and we tripped
across the matter of night vision.  A substantial fraction of the guys who
couldn't stand the Amiga admitted problems with night vision (i.e. finding
it necessary to slow down at night to feel comfortable, even with roads
they knew fairly well).  A substantial fraction of the guys that weren't
bothered by the interlace flicker admitted having a poor batting average
in softball (day or night).  So I am beginning to think that there are
two kinds of people - those with long-time-constant integration (who see
well at night) and those with short-time-constant integration (who can
accurately track rapidly moving objects with minimal position-phase error).
It is important, therefore, that none of you ever show your Amiga to any
corporate execs who are good at softball...  keep the demos to the ones
that hang out in dark, cool bistros...
								Howard Hull
[If yet unproven concepts are outlawed in the range of discussion...
                   ...Then only the deranged will discuss yet unproven concepts]
	{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo} !hao!hull

cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) (12/18/86)

Howard Hull wrote  :

>				... A substantial fraction of the guys who
> couldn't stand the Amiga admitted problems with night vision ...

This is at least correlated by the fact that a) I have trouble with seeing
things at night an the screen flicker bothers me, and b) my wife can see
perfectly well in low light conditions and the flicker doesn't bother her.

As a side note I have also noticed my eyeballs scan faster than hers do,
(you no that tiny barely perceptable side to side motion your eyes make
 to scan the scene) all very interesting. Sounds like the stuff of a
Scientific American article.

--
--Chuck McManis