[comp.sys.amiga] RAM expansion info wanted

andrew@alberta.UUCP (12/10/86)

I'm looking for some extra memory, and I'd like to hear from anybody and
everybody who has added memory to their machine.  The latest AmigaWorld
has a list of all available hardware, but they just give the bare essentials
(a full review will be in the May/June issue, according to "Help Key") :

Name              Company              Price   AC  PT  Description

Alegra	          Access Associates    $379    Y   N   0.5M
aMEGA             C Ltd.               $550    Y   Y   1M
AX1000            Comspec              $729    Y   Y   1M
AX2000            Comspec              $899    Y   Y   2M
PowRCard          RS Data Sys          $800    Opt Y   2M, up to 4M
RAM-BOard-1       Techni Soft          $500    Y   Y   2M + 3 RAM-EXP-1 slots
Starboard 2       Microbotics          $495    Y   Y   0.5M + 0.5M sockets
1 Megabyte RAM    Academy Comp.        $399    Y   N
1.05Meg Memory    Skyles Electric W.   $700    Y   Y
2.15Meg Memory    Skyles Electric W.   $1000   Y   Y

[Type of addon, port used, availability left out]
AC = Auto Config,  PT = Pass Through

One other company in the running is ASDG :
Convertible 0.5M  $450
Convertible 1.0M  $650
Convertible 2.0M  $900
Mini-Rack         $500  - 3 slots, 9 amp power supply
Mini-Rack B       $300  - 2 slots, 6 amp power supply

According to the review, the chassis have "substantial discounts if
purchased with a convertible memory board". Their ad in "Amazing
Computing" states that the Mini-Rack B will be available for $150 if
purchased with any memory board, the memory boards are also on a 10+%
discount (15+% if you're in a user's group), giving a total price for
1 Meg of $575 + $150 = $725, 2 Meg = $795 + $150 = $945 (at 10% discount).
How long are these discounts on for?  Does ASDG have plans for hard disks?

I'm aware of ASDG's recoverable ram disk capability, do any of the
other boards have this? Can I buy the software for this separately?

The Alegra board is upgradable to 2 Meg by replacing the RAMs with 1 Mbit
DRAMs (as these "become widely available").  Are they, and if so, how much
do they cost and where can you find them? A quick check of the mail order
ads in "Radio Electronics" returns a null result.

Questions:
- Number of wait states? (Does anyone make 1+ wait state boards?)
- Quality of board, case, design, etc.  Description of any special features.
- Have you had any problems with the board?  What is the company's
  warantee period, repair/replace policy?
- Desireability of passing the bus?  I'm not interested in adding
  anything more than a hard disk, so could I get away with one of
  the cheaper boards?
- Can the information in the board survive a warm boot?

So, I am interested in any information anyone has about any of these
(or any other) products, I'll even summarize for the net if there are
enough responses and/or requests.  Thanks in advance.

hamilton@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu (12/11/86)

>I'm looking for some extra memory, and I'd like to hear from anybody and
>everybody who has added memory to their machine.

    i've had the C Ltd ram for a few months, and i've been very happy
with it.  don't believe the $550 price; i got mine for $430, and $450
is common.  if i were looking to get ram now, however, i would probably
get one of the small chassis units like the ASDG or Pacific Cypress.

>The Alegra board is upgradable to 2 Meg by replacing the RAMs with 1 Mbit
>DRAMs (as these "become widely available").  Are they, and if so, how much
>do they cost and where can you find them? A quick check of the mail order
>ads in "Radio Electronics" returns a null result.

    Micros Unlimited and IC Express are advertising 100ns 1Mb's for $40/ea;
that's about 10x the price of 256K's, for 4x the memory, or 2.5x premium
for reduced real estate/power requirements.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink: w hamilton

ee162faq@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (>) (12/11/86)

I am using the Alegra.  Works fine under 1.2 (auto) or 1.1 (addmem).
Very compact, looks good.  The only problem I had was that my
Mimetics Audio Digitizer would no longer plug into mouse port 1.
(the rear mouse port) because the Alegra case is a little too close
to that port, and the digitizer is a bit too wide.  So I just made
a little 6 inch extend-o-matic using 2 db 9 connectors.  Now, no
problems...

In the San Diego area, 1 meg drams are currently available.  The
price? $29 a piece, so 16 for 2 megs = $464.
Total retail price for a 2 meg Alegra would be $379 + $464 = $843.

Phil Mercurio of SDAUG is using the ASDG 2 meg board.  The current
case is (I'm guessing) 8" wide by 12" tall.  Finished in matte black
with red pin stripes, and a little red LED indicating power status.
The memory board contains all 256k drams,
which are soldered in place.

Phils says it works fine, and the recoverable RAM disk it excellent
for development work.  All RAM is not saved, only what was saved in
the RAM disk (good enough, eh?).  The trade-in upgrade rack is
supposed to be lower profile and sit on top of the amiga.

It would appear that ASDG will allow group discounts as well. (They
at least said they would for the SDAUG developers....).

hope this info was useful,

John
7OHN

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (12/12/86)

In the referenced  article, mention  was  made  to  ASDG's pricing for Amiga
memory expansion. This information is outdated. Also, here's some additional
information:

	.5M  $370 (unsocketted)
	.5MS $445 (socketted)

	This is a 2M (see  below) with  only .5Mbytes installed. Upgradeable
	by user to 2Mbytes.

	1M (noone ever buys this)

	2M  $750
	2MS $800

	This is a 2Mbyte Zorro expansion  board with  0 wait states and full
	autoconfig. It makes a great ram expansion for TurboAmiga's.

	All ram products:

	o	come with the RRD(tm). This is the ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk
		which allows up to an  8Mbyte  fully AmigaDOS compatible ram
		disk to be recovered (instantly) upon rebooting after crash,
		reset, reboot, or guru.

	o	come with 1 year warranty and full set of diagnostics.

	Quantity pricing to user groups (etc):

	At five "units" (units defined as any combination of 2M's or .5M's):

	2M	from 750	to 700
	.5MS	from 445	to 400

	At ten "units":

	2M	from 700	to 675
	.5MS	from 400	to 370

	Special Pricing for people who purchase before February 1st:

	if you bought 1 2M, get second 2M for $499.
	if you bought 1 .5M or .5MS get 2M for $549.

	Rack products:

	Mini-Rack-B DOES NOT EXIST! Rather, it did exist at one time but was
	disappointing to us, so we trashed the design and went with:

	Mini-Rack-D $325

	Two slot FULL Zorro. With power internally (for *both* slots - some
	people!). Does not pass the bus (but...see further down).  Measures
	6''w 10''h 10''d. Does not  obscure  mouse or joystick ports.  Very
	fine quality metal construction. Has cabeling ports in rear.

	Mini-Rack-C $195

	Two slot Zorro SUBSET. Same metal work as MRD. Does *not* have +12V
	or -5V available to  expansion  bus. Great for interim expansion or
	for people who want memory only. But...

	Both racks can be bought  back  at full purchase price by ASDG when
	our four slot (top mounting) rack becomes available. In essence, if
	you want a  four  slot  box (with internal disk mounting etc) we'll
	loan you a 2 slot now (with your MRC or D purchase price acting as
	a deposit on the four slotter).

	New Product Announcement: 8MX

	A single 8Megabyte Full Zorro memory board  to be available around
	March to  April  of 87. This board will run with  2, 4, or 8Mbytes
	installed. Also, to the best of our knowledge, noone else can make
	the following statement: It will also run with 6Mbytes. (There  is
	no generic autoconfig support for a 6Mbyte board on the Amiga). We
	provided this extra logic so that people with  2M's can get a full
	8Mbytes without pain or hassel.

	Yes, we have plans for a disk controller. Unlike any available today.

	Hope this clears things up.

	Perry

hr@uicsl.UUCP (12/14/86)

RE: ram expansion

Could someone mail me some information about the ASDG boards?
A recent article mentioned that the .5MB board was user upgradeable
to 2 MB. How difficult is this? Would I have to order a PAL or some
other special chip? What kind of memory chips are used? Standard
256kx1 or 64kx4 that I could get from Microprocessors Unlimited
or something esoteric that would require me to fly to Japan?

thanks
----

	harold ravlin		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr

ee162faq@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) (12/15/86)

For Alegra owners (or future):  In the San Diego area, 1 M drams are
only $29 ea.(120 ns). You will also need a new PAL chip, about $15.  Almost
everyone in our development group has one.  Works great, and we will
probably purchase the extra memory and PALs at once for a major
discount...

John
7OHN

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (12/15/86)

In article <154@pembina.alberta.UUCP>, andrew@alberta.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) writes:

> I'm looking for some extra memory, and I'd like to hear from anybody and
> everybody who has added memory to their machine.
  .
  .
  .
> I'm aware of ASDG's recoverable ram disk capability, do any of the
> other boards have this? Can I buy the software for this separately?

An outfit called "Side-Effects, Inc." (in Raleigh, NC) has advertised
in a couple of AmigaWorlds and in Amazing Computing.  Their ad claims
they have a memory card called "Side-Store" that is 2 Meg/card with no
wait states.  Comes with "RAM-disk that survives resets/reboots".

They're also advertising Side-ARM ... a 6/12 slot backplane that passes
the bus;  Side-Track ... an ST-506 compatible Hard Disk controller (with
built-in clock);  Side-Band ... a MIDI interface;  and Side-Port ... a
serial, parallel, and SCSI interface.

All products are said to provide full Zorro compatibility, auto-config,
6-month warrenty, etc.  No prices are given.

Anybody had anything to do with these products?  Are they vaporware or
available?

/kim

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

In article <2200@well.UUCP>, perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:

> 	Two slot FULL Zorro. With power internally (for *both* slots - some
>       people!). Does not pass the bus (but...see further down).
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[ ... ]
> 	Hope this clears things up.

Almost, Perry.  I didn't see anything "further down" about passing the
bus ... did you mean that your 4-slot boxes *will* pass the bus?

Also, anything you can say about larger expansion boxes ... say about
8-12 slots?

/kim

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462
CIS:   76535,25

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

eric@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Eric Lavitsky) (12/18/86)

The ASDG .5M board is upgradeable to 2Mbytes. - if you buy the board
socketed, it is a painless job, otherwise you will need to solder
chips and bypass caps (or sockets and caps) into the motherboard.
No extra PAL is necessary for the upgrade - our boards use standard
256K x 1 DRAMs, 150ns access time or better (but faster chips won't
do anything more for you).

Eric

--
ARPA:	Lavitsky@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...ulysses!eric

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (12/19/86)

A .5M can be upgraded to a 2M by the addition of 48 256Kx1 150ns DRAMs.
A .5MS upgrade  is trivial,  just  insert chips. A .5M upgrade requires
by pass capacitors also. (Recall,  a .5MS is a .5M with everything that
requires soldering replaced with sockets).

ASDG can be reached at (201) 540 - 9670.