[comp.sys.amiga] 68010 W/1.5MEG INTERNAL - WILL IT WORK?

jwhitman@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Jerry Whitman) (12/18/86)

There is a mail-order outfit in Texas advertising the Amiga a 68010
CPU, 1080 monitor, clock w/battery,and (the attention getter) 1.5 Meg
of memory *INTERNAL* for $1595.  This *sounds* like a goodly deal,
but....I have questions!
a.  I have seen past articles discussing the 68010 in the AMIGA and
they left me with these questions:
   1 - Is the 68010 fully upward compatible with the 68000.  If not
       does it negatively affect existing software products?
   2 - Can/will the existing C/A software (V1.2 OS, Basic, utilites
       etc) take advantage of 68010 features?
   3 - Can/will existing commercial software take advantage of 68010
       features?
b.  I have been laboring under the impression that the AMIGA could only
see 500K of internal RAM.  This appears not to be so, but...
   1 - Can the special function chips (graphics, audio, etc) see and
       utilize any of the additional 1Meg of internal memory?
   2 - Can/will existing software (C/A or commercial) use it?  If so
       how does any software know it is available?  (Maybe Autoconfig?)
   3 - Can it be used for RAM:?
c.  Doesn't this modification void the C?A warranty?

These are issues that come to mind.  If you have the answers to any of
them or recognize other issues please let me know.

Thanks for listening.     Jerry Whitman

JWHITMAN@ALMSA-1.ARPA

In article <877@ulowell.UUCP> jwhitman@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Jerry Whitman) writes:
>There is a mail-order outfit in Texas advertising the Amiga a 68010
>CPU, 1080 monitor, clock w/battery,and (the attention getter) 1.5 Meg
>of memory *INTERNAL* for $1595.  This *sounds* like a goodly deal,
>but....I have questions!

>a.  I have seen past articles discussing the 68010 in the AMIGA and
>they left me with these questions:
>   1 - Is the 68010 fully upward compatible with the 68000.  If not
>       does it negatively affect existing software products?
>   2 - Can/will the existing C/A software (V1.2 OS, Basic, utilites
>       etc) take advantage of 68010 features?
>   3 - Can/will existing commercial software take advantage of 68010
>       features?

A) The 68010 is not completly compatible with the 68000, but a little
help from the trap routines in the OS can smooth things over.
Unfortunatly, the added features don't help much in an Amiga - it runs
a few percent faster, but that's it.  Most of the features that were
added to the 68010 were to make it easy to do virtual memory systems
with a some kind of mmu.

>b.  I have been laboring under the impression that the AMIGA could only
>see 500K of internal RAM.  This appears not to be so, but...
>   1 - Can the special function chips (graphics, audio, etc) see and
>       utilize any of the additional 1Meg of internal memory?
>   2 - Can/will existing software (C/A or commercial) use it?  If so
>       how does any software know it is available?  (Maybe Autoconfig?)
>   3 - Can it be used for RAM:?

B) There are various places in the memory map where you can stick RAM
and have it automatically detected, or add it to the available memory
list later.  These places may/will change in future machines and may
require internal decoding to work reliably, so we make no big fuss
about it.

The current generation of custom chips can only access the first 512K of
internal RAM.  Various paging schemes are conceivable, but without support
from AmigaDOS and the graphics libraries would be of limited utility.

Most software can use any RAM that the system has been told about.  I don't
see why it couldn't be used for RAM: although I understand that the current
C/A RAM: device wouldn't limit itself to it.

>c.  Doesn't this modification void the C?A warranty?

Unless they have received some kind of special authorization from C/A then
these modifications would void the warranty.  It would then be up to this
Texas company to offer their own warranty.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (12/21/86)

Hi,

Yes, the 68010 will work with Workbnech 1.1 and 1.2 software 95% or
greater of the time.  It seems like most of the commercial writers
have avoided things to work differently a-la 68010.

Don't expect amazing things to happen when you throw in (or buy it
with it already thrown .. er.. plugged in) a 68010.  In my case, I
saw about a 10 to 15% gain in speed (yawn).  Of course, that is
what I expected.

Alas, there is one thing that I know for sure does break when you
have a 68010-- Transformer to name names.  We all know that
transformer is s-l-o-w, but I do have times when it is useful since
I don't have a pee-cee at home, so I ditched my 68010 until the
(hopefully affordable) sidecar shows up around here.

As far as the 1.5 meg internal memory goes, it may or may not be
useful.  I'll bet that it doesn't follow the "Zoro" standard, and
thus will require a special driver in order to be recognized by the
operating system.  Make sure you ask them if the memory can
autoconfigure, and if it can't if they provide the necessary
software to make it useful to the operating system.

That aside, the price you mention seems at least reasonable.

  --Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP    ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)
As far as tgh

wagner@utcs.UUCP (12/23/86)

In article <1154@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>A) The 68010 is not completly compatible with the 68000, but a little
>help from the trap routines in the OS can smooth things over.
>Unfortunatly, the added features don't help much in an Amiga - it runs
>a few percent faster, but that's it.  Most of the features that were
>added to the 68010 were to make it easy to do virtual memory systems
>with a some kind of mmu.

I thought the speedup was on the order of 10%.  Did I mis-remember?

Two features in the 68010 make for a faster chip.  Loop mode, and a
general stream-lining of the multiply and divide algorithms.  According
to the upgrate notes on fish disk 18, one can expect a speedup of from
4-50% (8-50% claimed in Motorola Documentation).  Multiply/divide performance
can be expected to be 10% better (without recoding).  Loop mode performance
(needs recoding, I expect) can be from 20-80% better.

Loop mode, for those who haven't dived into the hardware manuals yet,
is this (amazing) scheme for keeping a few instructions in an on-chip
'cache'.  When the loop runs 'in' the cache, the only storage fetches are
for operands.  Tight loops such as looking for blanks could potentially
use such a feature and speed up considerably.

So, question:  Did anyone go to the trouble of trying to exploit loop mode
in the Amiga EXEC?  Does BCPL try to exploit it?  Does the Lattice C code
generator?  How about the Lattice library?  How about MANX?

In any case, if the cost of a 68010 was low enough, it might be worth it
for the 4-8% worst case speedup.  After all, it does buy back some of the
17-20% of the CPU that seems to be leaking away all the time.  And who knows,
maybe the little loops that it's running when it's leaking are the sort that
can be speeded up by loop mode! :-)

Michael