[comp.sys.amiga] Hard disk through parallel port

nick@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Nick Flor) (12/15/86)

The other day, I was flipping through a friends AmigaWorld, when I
saw an advertisement for a 20mb hard disk that connected, not to
expansion connector, but to the parallel port.

Are there any drawbacks to this implementation?

Just curious...

Nick
--
+ Disclaimer: The above opinions are my own, not necessarily my employers.
/ Nick V. Flor / ..hplabs!hp-sdd!nick / Hewlett Packard, San Diego Division

In article <634@hp-sdd.HP.COM> nick@hp-sdd.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:

>The other day, I was flipping through a friends AmigaWorld, when I
>saw an advertisement for a 20mb hard disk that connected, not to
>expansion connector, but to the parallel port.
>
>Are there any drawbacks to this implementation?

Well, since there is no DMA support available for the Parallel Port, the
actual data transfer part of the disk activity will be slower than a DMA
type disk controller attached to the Expansion Bus.

Does the device have some kind of pass through for the printer?

However, the benefits of having a reliable Hard Disk may easily outweigh
the these issues.  A hard drive is much nicer than a rackful of floppys...

eric@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Eric Lavitsky) (12/17/86)

>George Robbins (cbmvax!grr) Writes:
>Well, since there is no DMA support available for the Parallel Port, the
>actual data transfer part of the disk activity will be slower than a DMA
>type disk controller attached to the Expansion Bus.

A bit of clarification here: George is correct, but: The only thing DMA
really buys you on the Amiga currently, is the fact that data trasnfers
don't interrupt the CPU. The maximum *actual* throughput for current DMA
vs. non DMA disks is currently limited by AmigaDOS, which can only chug
through about 35K/Sec. So, a disk on the parallel port, if designed correctly,
will get you at least close to that limit and a DMA disk cannot surpass
that limit (at least not the ones that currently exist). Of course, if
you're not using AmigaDOS, that's another story...

Has anyone used the disk benchmark recently posted by Rick Spanbauer on
some of the popular Amiga hard disks?

Eric

>vs. non DMA disks is currently limited by AmigaDOS, which can only chug
>through about 35K/Sec. So, a disk on the parallel port, if designed correctly,
>will get you at least close to that limit and a DMA disk cannot surpass
>that limit (at least not the ones that currently exist). Of course, if
>you're not using AmigaDOS, that's another story...

	Actually, if you take RAM: timing as the theoretical maximum, it's
more around 150-200K/Sec.

					-Matt

eric@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Eric Lavitsky) (12/18/86)

>        Actually, if you take RAM: timing as the theoretical maximum, it's
>more around 150-200K/Sec.
>
>                                        -Matt

Actually, it isn't. Using RAM: speeds is not a good metric for
measuring AmigaDOS throughput. RAM: implements it's own handler -
l:Ram-Handler and does not use a normal AmigaDOS filesystem. A
physical disk device or Recoverable Ram Disk like ASDG's uses a
normal AmigaDOS file handler which provides only 35K/Sec maximum
throughput, and you had better use it on a disk if you want to be
100% compatible...

Eric

--
ARPA:	Lavitsky@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...ulysses!eric

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (12/19/86)

In article <8612180630.AA23659@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>>vs. non DMA disks is currently limited by AmigaDOS, which can only chug
>>through about 35K/Sec. So, a disk on the parallel port, if designed correctly,
>>will get you at least close to that limit and a DMA disk cannot surpass
>>that limit (at least not the ones that currently exist). Of course, if
>>you're not using AmigaDOS, that's another story...
>
>	Actually, if you take RAM: timing as the theoretical maximum, it's
>more around 150-200K/Sec.
>
>					-Matt

Wrong Wrong Wrong Matt. RAM: does  not give an accurate indication of true
AmigaDOS filesystem throughput because the RAM: is a handler not a device.
Thus it implements  it  OWN file system. RAM: is much faster than AmigaDOS
would otherwise let it.

ross@ulowell.UUCP (Ross Miller) (12/20/86)

In article <1537@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@ulysses.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) writes:

>>        Actually, if you take RAM: timing as the theoretical maximum, it's
>>more around 150-200K/Sec.
>Actually, it isn't. Using RAM: speeds is not a good metric for
>measuring AmigaDOS throughput. RAM: implements it's own handler -
>l:Ram-Handler and does not use a normal AmigaDOS filesystem. A
>physical disk device or Recoverable Ram Disk like ASDG's uses a
>normal AmigaDOS file handler which provides only 35K/Sec maximum
>throughput, and you had better use it on a disk if you want to be
>100% compatible...
Hmmm,
	If this is true, then it would greatly benifit all hard disk
users, if the hard disk company in question supplied a non-standard
driver with their disk.

						Ross
uucp: wanginst!ulowell!ross
csnet: ross%ulowell.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

bj@well.UUCP (Jim Becker) (12/21/86)

mer.nj.att.com>

In article <1527@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@ulysses.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) w
rites:
>>George Robbins (cbmvax!grr) Writes:
>>Well, since there is no DMA support available for the Parallel Port, the
>>actual data transfer part of the disk activity will be slower than a DMA
>>type disk controller attached to the Expansion Bus.
>
>A bit of clarification here: George is correct, but: The only thing DMA
>really buys you on the Amiga currently, is the fact that data trasnfers
>don't interrupt the CPU. The maximum *actual* throughput for current DMA
>vs. non DMA disks is currently limited by AmigaDOS, which can only chug
>through about 35K/Sec. So, a disk on the parallel port, if designed correctly
,
>will get you at least close to that limit and a DMA disk cannot surpass
>that limit (at least not the ones that currently exist). Of course, if
>you're not using AmigaDOS, that's another story...
>
>Has anyone used the disk benchmark recently posted by Rick Spanbauer on
>some of the popular Amiga hard disks?
>
>Eric

Eric,

I know that you are int the know, but in this case you are incorrect. the DMA
is much faster than what can happen on the parallel port. What transpires on
the expansion bus if difficult to get used to, although one adapts to the speed
in time and cna await the 2 to 3x speed improvement in the DOS that is coming.

The Parallel port doesn't have DMA, but the serial port does. Noone has tapped
this yet though. It will be inconsiquential though, when the Pal Jr comes out
there will be a new standard that will take a while for the human to get
used to, especially with InfoMinder Plus.

Amiga will be the future, espiecially if C-A realizes it.

-Jim Becker
Terrapin Software

wagner@utcs.UUCP (12/22/86)

In article <1527@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@ulysses.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
>Has anyone used the disk benchmark recently posted by Rick Spanbauer on
>some of the popular Amiga hard disks?

Just a word of warning...Rick's program has some problems.  It leaves a file
lock on one of it's files, and doesn't check when creating the file.  This
means that it can't be run a second time.  The net result seems to be a zero
(error) return code is being used as a file lock, and the benchmark program
tries to use DF0: instead of what it was given.  Still investigating....

Michael

wagner@utcs.UUCP (12/22/86)

Since we're on the topic of disk performance, I thought I'd point out a
surprising result that I've gathered so far.  The cache incorporated in
1.2 doesn't really seem to improve the timings of Rick's benchmarks, in
general.  That isn't too surprising....he goes to some trouble to make it
difficult for a cache to work well in his benchmarks.  However, one thing
does speed up tremendously....deleting files!  So now we can say that the
cache makes it quicker to trash things....a great improvement!

Michael

miner@ulowell.UUCP (Richard Miner) (12/22/86)

In several articles lots of people write:
...a disk on the parallel port can be close to the speed of a board on
the expansion bus... - They even mention DMA on the serial port.

A board on the expansion bus can grab the Amiga's bus and blast data into
memory as fast as it takes to light up the address and data buses and trip
the read/write strobes.  Once the board has the address of an internal data
buffer the DMA cycle far surpasses an assembly loop reading the serial
or parallel ports.

When we speak about DMA for hardrives we mean direct access to the systems
bus. The solution is a nice address generating chip and a little 680xx
bus arbitration logic. Perhapse all on a single LSI chip like the hardware
group at Commodore came up with.

Why are'nt more people taking this aproach?  The logic to interface with
the Zorro bus is not that complex, are address generators that expensive?

PS (to weschester support)
Thanks for the response to manx multitasking question, and great suport
in 86, happy holidays and new year.
--
Rich Miner   ...!wanginst!ulowell!miner
Ulowell, Center for Productivity Enhancement        (617) 452-5000 x2693

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (12/22/86)

bj@well says:
> The Parallel port doesn't have DMA, but the serial port does. Noone has tapped
> this yet though.

    fascinating, if true.  could you amplify?

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink: w hamilton

eric@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Eric Lavitsky) (12/23/86)

In article <881@ulowell.UUCP> ross@ulowell.UUCP (Ross Miller)
.>In article <1537@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@ulysses.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
.>>
.>>>        Actually, if you take RAM: timing as the theoretical maximum, it's
.>>>more around 150-200K/Sec.
.>>Actually, it isn't. Using RAM: speeds is not a good metric for
.>>measuring AmigaDOS throughput. RAM: implements it's own handler -
.>>l:Ram-Handler and does not use a normal AmigaDOS filesystem. A
.>>physical disk device or Recoverable Ram Disk like ASDG's uses a
.>>normal AmigaDOS file handler which provides only 35K/Sec maximum
.>>throughput, and you had better use it on a disk if you want to be
.>>100% compatible...
.>Hmmm,
.>	If this is true, then it would greatly benifit all hard disk
.>users, if the hard disk company in question supplied a non-standard
.>driver with their disk.
.>
.>						Ross

No no!, Please no! Do *not* supply a non-standard driver!!! That is
not the way to solve the situation. The way to solve it is to attack
it at its' heart - AmigaDOS itself, which apparently Tim King has done
according to Phil Lindsays' latest tidbits...

Eric
--
ARPA:	LAVITSKY@RUTGERS or LAVITSKY@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...topaz!eric

In article <2241@well.UUCP>, bj@well.UUCP (Jim Becker) writes:
.>In article <1527@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@ulysses.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) w
rites:
.>>>George Robbins (cbmvax!grr) Writes:
.>>>Well, since there is no DMA support available for the Parallel Port, the
.>>>actual data transfer part of the disk activity will be slower than a DMA
.>>>type disk controller attached to the Expansion Bus.
.>>
.>>A bit of clarification here: George is correct, but: The only thing DMA
.>>really buys you on the Amiga currently, is the fact that data trasnfers
.>>don't interrupt the CPU. The maximum *actual* throughput for current DMA
.>>vs. non DMA disks is currently limited by AmigaDOS, which can only chug
.>>through about 35K/Sec. So, a disk on the parallel port, if designed correctly
.>>will get you at least close to that limit and a DMA disk cannot surpass
.>>that limit (at least not the ones that currently exist). Of course, if
.>>you're not using AmigaDOS, that's another story...
.>>
.>>Eric

>Eric,
>
>I know that you are int the know, but in this case you are incorrect. the DMA
>is much faster than what can happen on the parallel port. What transpires on
>the expansion bus if difficult to get used to, although one adapts to the speed
>in time and cna await the 2 to 3x speed improvement in the DOS that is coming.

Well Jim, thank you - I know that you are in the know as well, and I
think that InfoMinder is a great product, but... I never suggested
that there was any DMA on the parallel port, or that the parallel port
was as fast as the expansion bus. I still stand behind what I said.
Perhaps a little further clarification is necessary...

Imagine the following: you drive a Lamborghini :-). Of course, this car
can outpreform just about any other car in America. Bring the car onto
your average American highway however, and you will be forced to do
about the same speed as the other cars on the road (though it may take
you less effort). Why?, because the American roads are so bad they
limit you to a slower speed (this is a documented fact :-)...

So currently (and I underline that word), the bottleneck is AmigaDOS
(as you even pointed out). Yes, it is good news that Tim King has
finally done something about it, and when it's finally generally
available (how long do you think it will take?), there will be no
question that DMA disks are oodles faster than any other. But for now,
everyone has to travel on the same road (note that I'm still talking
about throughput through AmigaDOS, *not* raw data transfer rates).

So:
	Parallel port 30K/Sec => AmigaDOS =>User ~=
		Expansion Bus 10Mbit/Sec => AmigaDOS =>User

Does that explain my point better? Another important thing to mention
is that Phil's news about Tim Kings' fixes was news to me after I sent
my message out... so all this may be moot (when the improvements see
the light of customers' hands)...

>The Parallel port doesn't have DMA, but the serial port does. Noone has tapped
>this yet though. It will be inconsiquential though, when the Pal Jr comes out
>there will be a new standard that will take a while for the human to get
>used to, especially with InfoMinder Plus.

Yes, but to tie up the serial port with a hard disk would be a very
big mistake - one often wants his disk available while online with
another host, you could always wait for the printer, right? :-)

>Amiga will be the future, espiecially if C-A realizes it.
>
>-Jim Becker
>Terrapin Software

Eric (I hate inews) Lavitsky
--

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (12/23/86)

In article <8088@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> eric@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
>In article <2241@well.UUCP>, bj@well.UUCP (Jim Becker) writes:
>.>In article <1527@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@ulysses.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) w
>rites:

>>The Parallel port doesn't have DMA, but the serial port does. Noone has tapped
>>this yet though. It will be inconsiquential though, when the Pal Jr comes out
>>there will be a new standard that will take a while for the human to get
>>used to, especially with InfoMinder Plus.
>
>Yes, but to tie up the serial port with a hard disk would be a very
>big mistake - one often wants his disk available while online with
>another host, you could always wait for the printer, right? :-)

Hmmm.. from all that I've seen, the serial port doesn't do DMA.  It just
generates interrupts.  Both the hardware manual and disassembly of the serial
driver seem to bear this out.  It's a real shame it doesn't.

In any case, another issue to examine when considering a DMA disk vs. an
interrupt driven one is the effect on the rest of the system.  Even though
the bandwidth to the disk is the same, the DMA design should all the CPU time
to service other tasks in the system.  The non-DMA version will consume more
CPU resources to get its job done.

Ain't this multitasking just grand?  A computer that can walk and chew gum at
the same time!
Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming