[comp.sys.amiga] Speedy3

ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP (Roger Egeberg) (12/19/86)

In the Jan/Feb issue of AmigaWorld, a letter mentioned a program called
Speedy3 which is supposed to speed up the Transformer.  Does anyone know
how well this works and where I could find a copy of it?  Another person
has attempted to get it off CompuServe, but hasn't been able to get a good
copy yet

Any BBS numbers, or if someone could send it to me, I'd really appreciate it.

One other question:  Does anyone have any experiece with the Academy Computers
1 Meg RAM board?  AmigaWorld indicates that it is available for less than
$399 (list) in kit form.  It is supposed to be available now, auto-configs,
but does not pass the bus.

Thanks,  Roger Egeberg        ...ihnp4!{dicome,umn-cs}!ndsuvax!ncegeber

eric@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Eric Lavitsky) (12/23/86)

For what it's worth, Speedy3 is available on the JAUG BBS, (201)
750-4409. My understanding is that it is something that can be used on
*any* MS-DOS machine, not just the Transformer, and it does something
to speed up console I/O...

Eric
--
ARPA:	LAVITSKY@RUTGERS or LAVITSKY@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...topaz!eric

phillip@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Phillip Lindsay) (12/23/86)

> In the Jan/Feb issue of AmigaWorld, a letter mentioned a program called
> Speedy3 which is supposed to speed up the Transformer.  Does anyone know
> how well this works and where I could find a copy of it?  Another person
> has attempted to get it off CompuServe, but hasn't been able to get a good
Speedy3 is a MSDOS program for MSDOS 2.11. It speeds output to the console.
There is a very noticeable speed improvement in screen I/O when used with
the Transformer. Joe Marlino in marketing has it and I believe he got it
through CompuServe.
  Phillip Lindsay - Commodore Business Machines - Amiga Technical Support
  UUCP: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!phillip      - Phone: (215) 431-9180
  No warranty is implied or otherwise given in the form of suggestion or
  example. Any opinions found here are of my making. 	/* eof */

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (12/23/86)

> In the Jan/Feb issue of AmigaWorld, a letter mentioned a program called
> Speedy3 which is supposed to speed up the Transformer.  Does anyone know
> how well this works and where I could find a copy of it?  Another person
> has attempted to get it off CompuServe, but hasn't been able to get a good
> copy yet
>
> Thanks,  Roger Egeberg        ...ihnp4!{dicome,umn-cs}!ndsuvax!ncegeber

There shouldn't be any problem getting this from Compuserve.  But you
should realize that the program, Speedy3.COM, is an IBM side program.
Not an Amiga program in any way, shape, or form.  It'll certainly
speed up the transformer, but as I understand it it'll also speed up
most any other PC, whether that PC happens to be a hard or soft PC.
The program does  something to the display software routine in the
PC to speed up display.  Anyway, you'll have to get this over on your
PC-"DOS" disk and run it there.

Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

      Why look here for inspiration, when its all around you anyway.

ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP (Roger Egeberg) (12/23/86)

In article <279@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP (Roger Egeberg) writes:

>In the Jan/Feb issue of AmigaWorld, a letter mentioned a program called
>Speedy3 which is supposed to speed up the Transformer.  Does anyone know
>how well this works and where I could find a copy of it?  Another person

Please cancel this request.  I found the program on the local PC BBS - by
accident.  I had mistakenly assumed that it was an Amiga program when it
was really an MS-DOS program.

Speedy3 speeds up writes to the screen.  It does make a noticeable difference
when used with the Transformer, if you're running a program that does a lot of
writing to the screen.  A side effect though, is that it seems to disable the
ability to redirect stdout.

carroll@unirot.UUCP (mark carroll) (12/23/86)

In article <279@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP (Roger Egeberg) writes:

>In the Jan/Feb issue of AmigaWorld, a letter mentioned a program called
>Speedy3 which is supposed to speed up the Transformer.  Does anyone know
>how well this works and where I could find a copy of it?  Another person
>has attempted to get it off CompuServe, but hasn't been able to get a good
>copy yet
>
>Any BBS numbers, or if someone could send it to me, I'd really appreciate it.

   Anyone in the NH area looking for Speedy3, its downloadable from the
Conference Room, 201-231-0704, along with some other Amiga software. The
Sysop doesnt grant you DL access first call though, so be prepared to call
at least twice.

        <MC>