[comp.sys.amiga] Query about an INTERNAL ram expansion board

dcall@dadla.tek.com (Dale Call;1513;92-734;LP=A;60pB) (12/18/86)

I just read an ad in the latest Computer Shopper from an outfit called
InterComputing Inc. of Dallas TX.  They are advertising an INTERNAL ram
expansion board with 1 MB of memory and a battery backed up real time
clock.  The shocker was the price: $349.00!!!!  I assume that if you
hooked this baby up it would use up the power allocated to the external
expansion connector (i.e. anything you plug into the external port must
be self powered).

What I would like to know is:
	Has anyone heard of this company?
	Has anyone seen/bought/used this product?

I called them this morning, and they are sending me an information
packet.  I'll post any additional info at that time.  Any information
from folks on the net will be appreciated.

Dale Call

eric@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Eric Lavitsky) (12/19/86)

>clock.  The shocker was the price: $349.00!!!!  I assume that if you
>hooked this baby up it would use up the power allocated to the external
>expansion connector (i.e. anything you plug into the external port must
>be self powered).

Don't assume so much - find out for sure. Most internal expansions
have the following drawbacks:

	1) Void your warranty
	2) Draw more power off *internal* connections than they were
		rated for. Only the expansion connector is rated to
		take around one amp current draw, nothing else.
	3) Generate more internal heat (wanna melt your case?)
	4) Will never Auto-Config. What happens when you get auto
		config stuff. What if you try and AddMem your board
		into an already configured address space?

Caveat Emptor!
Eric

--
ARPA:	Lavitsky@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...ulysses!eric

sean@ukma.ms.uky.csnet (Sean Casey) (12/24/86)

In article <1013@zeus.UUCP> dcall@dadla.tek.com (Dale Call) writes:
>I just read an ad in the latest Computer Shopper from an outfit called
>InterComputing Inc. of Dallas TX.  They are advertising an INTERNAL ram
>expansion board with 1 MB of memory and a battery backed up real time
>clock.  The shocker was the price: $349.00!!!!  I assume that if you

I talked to a salesman at a mail order place that sells these.  The board
plugs into your 68000 socket.  You can put your 68000 on it or a 68010.
The ram is 1 wait state memory meaning that certain applications can run
considerably slower.

Sean
Sean Casey      UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean           CSNET:  sean@ms.uky.csnet
		ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa    BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET