[comp.sys.amiga] Juggler HAM demo executable doesn't work.

	I've succesfully downloaded and triple checked the Juggler
demo...  But the executable gives me 'NOT AN OBJECT FILE' error when
I try to run it... Has anybody else been able to get a working executable
from the uuencoded one sent over the net??

				-Matt

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) (12/27/86)

In article <8612270207.AA04865@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	I've succesfully downloaded and triple checked the Juggler
>demo...  But the executable gives me 'NOT AN OBJECT FILE' error when
>I try to run it... Has anybody else been able to get a working executable
>from the uuencoded one sent over the net??
>
>				-Matt
I used Kermit to download the file on my Amiga.  When I used Xmodem, I had the
same problem.  Now that I have the file on my Amiga correctly, I receive error
103: something like insufficient free store.

daveb@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Berezowski GUEST) (12/27/86)

In article <8612270207.AA04865@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	I've succesfully downloaded and triple checked the Juggler
>demo...  But the executable gives me 'NOT AN OBJECT FILE' error when
>I try to run it... Has anybody else been able to get a working executable
>from the uuencoded one sent over the net??
>
>				-Matt

	I have a different problem with it.  Whenever I run the juggler I get
an error 103 (insufficient free store).  I have made a boot disk with only
the jugggler, movie.data, and assign on it and I STILL get an error 103.

	Has anyone out there been able to get this to work?

	PS. Here are my final file sizes for the three files:
	Juggler		 13833
	Juggler.info	   526
	movie.data	305578
				Does anyone concur with these? - daveb

cherry@husc4.harvard.edu (michael cherry) (12/27/86)

I get the GURU with 1.2 Gamma after the juggler appears. With 1.1 it locks
up the system after about 3 frames. I'm running with a 68010/68881 and
512K. My file sizes agree with those that were resently posted.

Mike Cherry

billa@sci.UUCP (Bill Ames) (12/27/86)

In article <8612270207.AA04865@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

> 	I've succesfully downloaded and triple checked the Juggler
> demo...  But the executable gives me 'NOT AN OBJECT FILE' error when
> I try to run it... Has anybody else been able to get a working executable
> from the uuencoded one sent over the net??
>
> 				-Matt

Our copy of part 5 of 8 of the juggler demo has one line which
is larger than all the rest (62 chars instead of 61).  The
uudecode program didn't complain, but this is probably the problem.
Can anyone verify?

Bill Ames
Silicon Compilers Inc.

andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (12/28/86)

In article <1183@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski GUEST) writes:
>In article <8612270207.AA04865@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>>
>>	I've succesfully downloaded and triple checked the Juggler
>>demo...  But the executable gives me 'NOT AN OBJECT FILE' error when
>>				-Matt
>

>	I have a different problem with it.  Whenever I run the juggler I get
>an error 103 (insufficient free store).  I have made a boot disk with only
>	PS. Here are my final file sizes for the three files:
>	Juggler		 13833
>	Juggler.info	   526
>	movie.data	305578

Sorry Dave, your files are the wrong size.  The correct sizes are:
(and, I know that Fred Fish has decoded them into files of the correct size)

Juggler		13784
Juggler.info    562
movie.data      295610

I'm not sure what Matt's trouble is.  Dave's is probably the version
of Kermit he's using.  (I think I mentioned this to you, Dave...)

I do hope someone gets this working, otherwise I'll feel really silly.
Oh, well.  Just remember, no background processes, addbuffers, etc.
because it uses a lot of memory.  (Of course, if you have expanded memory
you have less to worry about).

			andy finkel
--

			andy finkel
			Commodore/Amiga

"Never make anything simple and efficient when it can be complex and wonderful."

andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (12/28/86)

Re: Juggler woes...
just a thought, but did everyone remove the junk before and after the
portions of the uuencoded files before cat'ing or otherwise joining
them together ?  (including the .signature file) Maybe uudecode is having
problems with that.

Matt, check the length of the executable you xmodem'ed.  Xmodem
fills the length of the file out to the nearest block with ^Z.  AmigaDos
has problems with this.

(As an aside, I did put these things together, and downloaded them to
my Amiga after I uploaded them to the VAX to make sure that it was
done properly.  And I did have problems when I used Kermit, but figured
it was due to lack of Kermit manual, since once I got them into the Amiga
using another method I had no problem)

Make sure you got all three files...actual lengths should be:

Juggler		13784
Juggler.info    562
movie.data      295610

Sorry about all the problems, people.  This is just as much fun for me :-)
(yes, Grr, you were right, I probably shouldn't have done it.)

(Where are you, mod.binaries.amiga ???)

			andy finkel
--

daveb@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Berezowski GUEST) (12/28/86)

In article <382@ritcv.UUCP> msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) writes:
>In article <8612270207.AA04865@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>>
>>	I've succesfully downloaded and triple checked the Juggler
>>demo...  But the executable gives me 'NOT AN OBJECT FILE' error when
>>I try to run it... Has anybody else been able to get a working executable
>>from the uuencoded one sent over the net??
>>
>>				-Matt
>I used Kermit to download the file on my Amiga.  When I used Xmodem, I had the
>same problem.  Now that I have the file on my Amiga correctly, I receive error
>103: something like insufficient free store.

	I get the same error.  My AMIGA file sizes are:

Juggler.info	   562
Juggler		 13833
movie.data	296823

ray@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Ray Tripamer) (12/29/86)

In article <8612270207.AA04865@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	I've succesfully downloaded and triple checked the Juggler
>demo...  But the executable gives me 'NOT AN OBJECT FILE' error when
>I try to run it... Has anybody else been able to get a working executable
>from the uuencoded one sent over the net??

I have successfully downloaded it.  No problems.  Maybe some sites uuencoded
versions got somewhat munged along the way.  The icon transferred correctly
also.

Should just the juggler program (less the huge data file) be re-posted so
those sites can perhaps receive a correct version?
--
Ray Tripamer
CSNET:	ray%JIMI.CS.UNLV.EDU@relay.cs.net

papa@bacall.UUCP (Marco Papa) (12/30/86)

Andy writes:
> Sorry Dave, your files are the wrong size.  The correct sizes are:
> (and, I know that Fred Fish has decoded them into files of the correct size)
>
> Juggler		13784
> Juggler.info    562
> movie.data      295610
>
> I'm not sure what Matt's trouble is.  Dave's is probably the version
> of Kermit he's using.  (I think I mentioned this to you, Dave...)
>
> I do hope someone gets this working, otherwise I'll feel really silly.
> Oh, well.  Just remember, no background processes, addbuffers, etc.
> because it uses a lot of memory.  (Of course, if you have expanded memory
> you have less to worry about).
>
> 			andy finkel

I followed the instructions (no .signature, cat the files, etc..) and ended
up with the sizes given above. The icon seems OK, but when I run the juggler
(on a standard 512K Amiga, no background procs, no addbuffers, etc...) I
get the following:

1. from the CLI, when I run the juggler (with or without the assignment
   assign movie: df1:) the light comes up, juggler is loaded (?!), then after
   3 seconds I get back the CLI 1> prompt. Absolutely nothing happens.

2. From workbench, if I have not done the assignment of movie: to df1:,
   a system requester comes up and says that it cannot find volume movie.
   If I have done the assingment, or if I have renamed the juggler disk movie,
   the disk light comes up after the double click, then three seconds of light,
   then the cursor comes back again.  Again absolutely nothing happens.

Has anybody gotten this to work? Fred, did your copy run an a 512K Amiga?

-- Marco Papa
   Felsina Software