[comp.sys.amiga] Next Amiga?

mcinerny@rochester.ARPA (Michael McInerny) (12/15/86)

[sorry if this was posted already]
I've been pondering the subject for a while now, and I decided it was
time to post my results.

It seems to me that for a minimal expense (the cost of higher speed
components, possibly just the RAMs), you could really enhance the
abilities of the Amiga with one simple trick...

Double the system clock.

What would happen if you did this?  Well...

.  You'd have twice (at least) the current CPU performance.
.  The custom chips would be able to get at the same amount of
   data twice as fast or twice the amount of data in the same time.

So what?  Well, with the extra CPU cycles you could:

.  Get real performance out of the iAPX86 emulator.  Heck, you'd
   probably have enough cycles to run the thing under Exec, either
   on a seperate sceen or in a superbitmap (read: scrollable) window.
   While you're at it, integrate the file system with a pctrackdisk.
   device.  This is important for people who care about compatibility
   (btw:  read 720K format 3.5" disks).
.  Enhance the speech synthesis software for even more intelligibility.
   This is to starve off competition from the Apple ][GS.  Also,
   add user-programmable dictionaries and accents, as well as foreign
   language translators.  C'mon, Commodore:  EuroKeyboards but not
   speech?  This is good for world markets, handicapped services,
   educational programs, telecommunications, etc.
.  Add "grey scale" text routines.  3x5x2 (4 grey levels) is actually
   legible.  8x8x8 would be awesome!  The original PARC PC left out
   grey scale because they were planning on using LCDs.  We're not
   so put this valuable feature back in.  How do you think text on
   TV ads looks so nice?
.  Anti-aliasing routines would be nice for the same reasons.

What about the custom chips?
.  Don't bother increasing the resolution--NTSC won't take it.  But,
   please do increase the number of bit-planes.  640x400x8 would be
   terrific (esp. with dithering) and 320x400x12 would be awesome
   (true 4K colors on screen).
.  Blitting should be faster--better animation, faster text, etc.
.  Sound could use a big shot in the arm.  Many possibilities here.
   Currently the Amiga has 4 channels 8-bit D/A ~28KHz, 6-bit envelopes
   per channel.  This is nice, but not great.  Two problems:  the
   rate and the resolution.  Sure, more voices would be nice, and
   you could double the number to 8.  Not bad.  You could also
   Double the rate to 56KHz (overkill).  You can double the
   resolution to 16-bits (nice).  As a comparison, CDs are 16-bit,
   2-channel (L&R), 44KHz.  Sony PCM 8mm Digital Audio is 8-bit,
   2-channel, 31.5KHz.  Professional is generally considered at least
   12-bits.  Now, the 6-bit envolopes could be considered part of
   the resolution, yielding 14-bits, but I don't buy it.  How about
   12-bits, four voices (the same), 31KHz sample rate, and 6-bits
   envelope.  I think this is a good compromise.  Probably the
   choice should be programmable.  In any case, you can use the
   newer resolutions and rates for even better speech synthesis.
   (I think that serious musicians are going to use MIDI devices
   for real output anyways).

Now, in addition to/instead of doubling the system clock, you
could add the following:

.  an MC68010.  This, with some kernel tuning, could pay off handsomely.
   maybe even for the iAPX-86 emulator (so-called SoftDOS).
.  1-Mbyte CHIP memory and make it standard equipment.  You'll
   need the extra memory for the new video modes.
.  An extra serial port and/or (gulp)  AppleTalk software.  Why?
   Well, the Amiga needs SOME kind of network, and the current
   hardware should be able to support this simple and cheap network
   with inexpensive software.  Besides, it would open the door
   for the Amiga to Mac houses which already have nets (including
   schools).  Plus, you can now use the venerable LaserWriter at
   high speeds.
.  One or more of the following:
   .  IEEE-488 for old Commodore users and labs (and HDisks)
      (should be easy software hack for parallel port).
   .  SCSI port, either via current parallel port or NCR SCSI chip.
      This opens the door to large, fast disks and even networks.
.  Oh, and for crying out loud, put a stupid clock circuit in the
   system.  It's one lousy chip!

Please note that a lot of software mods could be made (see above) without
changing the hardware, although the hardware mods aren't hard either.

Finally, a cosmetic issue:

I see the Amiga as being the ideal 'component computer'.  I think that
a repackaging of the Amiga as a 'stereo-like component' (including
a genlock interface), makes a lot of sense.  You could allow for
an IR keyboard interface (with optional cord as well), make a keyboard
with a trackball (as a mouse substitute, for laptop use--don't forget
to make the tball side selectable for lefties), and even put a zorro
connector on top for an expansion chassis box.  I think that this
packaging would really work.

Also, consider new storage technology:

.  3.5" hard drives.
.  Higher density uFloppies (1.7 megs)
.  Sysgen's 4" hard disk packs (15megs)
.  Vertical media (~100 megs/floppy)
.  CD-ROMs.

Just some thoughts.  Comments very welcome.

-Michael

ccplumb@watnot.UUCP (12/15/86)

>[Very long, very good posting about Amiga enhancements deleted.]

  In one word: YES!!

  *All* of your ideas are good.  The only point of disagreement is
over a 68010... I'd go straight to a 68020 and be done with it.  Then
we'd *really* see some performance.

  I'd also like to suggest that C-A make a bigger hunk of memory
standard... 1 Meg *at least*.  I'm sure 4 Meg machines would sell
quite well.  I think could get by with 2 Meg chip, 2 Meg fast....

  Sometime in the distant future, hardware memory management would be
nice, but I guess it's too much to ask for now.  (But, gee, wouldn't
non-fatal Gurus be nice?)

  Oh, yes...  Would someone at C-A like to tell me if the planned
ROMming of kickstart will mean someone who *wants* to boot from disk
will have to find a used machine, or if the WCS will still be available.
Thanks.

	-Colin Plumb (ccplumb@watnot.UUCP)

Zippy says:
NEWARK has been REZONED!! DES MOINES has been REZONED!!

aburto@marlin.UUCP (Alfred A. Aburto) (12/17/86)

In article <12299@watnot.UUCP> ccplumb@watnot.UUCP (Colin Plumb) writes:
>>[Very long, very good posting about Amiga enhancements deleted.]
>
>  In one word: YES!!
>
>  *All* of your ideas are good.  The only point of disagreement is
>over a 68010... I'd go straight to a 68020 and be done with it.  Then
>we'd *really* see some performance.

I agree with you!  Go for the 68020/68881 particularly since the Amiga
operating system already supports these devices. Operate the 68020 and 68881
and fast RAM at 14.32 MHz or higher clock speeds.  CSA has demonstrated that
you can do this relatively easily and it need not cost an arm and a leg to
do so. Don't fool around with the 68010----go to the top.

>  I'd also like to suggest that C-A make a bigger hunk of memory
>standard... 1 Meg *at least*.  I'm sure 4 Meg machines would sell
>quite well.  I think could get by with 2 Meg chip, 2 Meg fast....

Gee, I agree with you again---At least one Meg (even 512K but its marginal)
much better than the dinky 256K the original came with...
Also TWO disk drives is essential.

Al Aburto

gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (12/17/86)

In article <918@marlin.UUCP>, aburto@marlin.UUCP (Alfred A. Aburto) writes:
> In article <12299@watnot.UUCP> ccplumb@watnot.UUCP (Colin Plumb) writes:
> >>[Very long, very good posting about Amiga enhancements deleted.]
>
> >  I'd also like to suggest that C-A make a bigger hunk of memory
> >standard... 1 Meg *at least*.  I'm sure 4 Meg machines would sell
> >quite well.  I think could get by with 2 Meg chip, 2 Meg fast....
> >

> Gee, I agree with you again---At least one Meg (even 512K but its marginal)
> much better than the dinky 256K the original came with...
> Also TWO disk drives is essential.

Yes, at LEAST one Meg!  Adding a one meg board to my system really changed
the character of the Amiga - from being able to barely run one application at a
time to being able to really multitask!  I now ALWAYS have at least two CLIs
active, usually an editor running, and something else going on at the same
time.

As far as 2 disk drives go, I don't agree.  With a machine of the power
described in the preceeding articles, most people will probably want a hard
disk... save me the $300 for the second floppy and apply it toward a hard
disk please!

	Gary

wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (12/17/86)

	Now all they gotta do is to put Unix on it...

--
========================->  Rebel or be oppressed!  <-========================
Michael R. Wayne           Working at (but not employed by) Ford Motor Company

wilkes@beatnix..UUCP (John Wilkes) (12/24/86)

In article <617@fmsrl7.UUCP> wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) writes:

>	Now all they gotta do is to put Unix on it...
                                                    ...in an AmigaDos window!

Seriously, folks, is U**x really all that wonderful?

-- John Wilkes --    UUCP: {ihnp4|decwrl|pyramid}!sun!elxsi!beatnix!wilkes
                     USPS: ELXSI, 2334 Lundy Pl., San Jose CA 95131

# My Employer appologizes for the fact that I have access to the network.
# Furthermore, my Employer has absolutely no responsibility for the above
# random ramblings, which are clearly the product of a deranged mind.

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/25/86)

In article <210@elxsi.UUCP> wilkes@beatnix.UUCP (John Wilkes) writes:
>In article <617@fmsrl7.UUCP> wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) writes:
>>
>>	Now all they gotta do is to put Unix on it...
>                                                    ...in an AmigaDos window!
>
>Seriously, folks, is U**x really all that wonderful?

I just read the announcement in mod.newprod about Andy Tanenbaum's
new book and the MINIX system.  MINIX is apparently a V7 UNIX clone and
is available in source form along with the book from Prentice-Hall.  It
includes lots of utilities (from ar through wc :-), including a C compiler.

Now, does anyone want to form a working group to port this to the Amiga?
How about you guys at the Software Distillery?

-Fred
Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976

wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (12/27/86)

In article <210@elxsi.UUCP> wilkes@beatnix.UUCP (John Wilkes) writes:
>In article <617@fmsrl7.UUCP> wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) writes:
>>
>>	Now all they gotta do is to put Unix on it...
>                                                    ...in an AmigaDos window!
>
>Seriously, folks, is U**x really all that wonderful?

	While I do not want to get into a discussion of the wonderfulness
of Unix, I would like to point out that it is a great joy to be able to use
the same set of commands on EVERY machine I use.  For this reason, although
I think the amiga is a wonderful machine, I won't purchase one without Unix
on it.

	I would think that the way to do this would be to put Unix on the
machine as the base operating system and write an Amigados emulator that
dropped on top (as a shell).  CLI could also be a shell.  Graphics,
multitasking and sound are wonderful but without Unix, it's just another
computer.

--
=======================-->  Rebel or be oppressed!  <--=======================
Michael R. Wayne           Working at (but not employed by) Ford Motor Company
(313) 322-3986                         UUCP: {epsilon|ihnp4}!mb2c!fmsrl7!wayne
Above opinions are my own but can be purchased  (quantity discounts available)  "Let's get sex and violence off the streets and back on TV where it belongs."

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (Don't have strength to leave) Meyer) (12/27/86)

In article <617@fmsrl7.UUCP> wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) writes:
>Seriously, folks, is U**x really all that wonderful?

No. Unix started life on a small system, supporting a couple of users.
It's since moved to large systems, supporting hundreds of users. Some
of the changes to make that work have not been pretty; some of them
have not been made.

Unix started with the wrong set of basic objects (files instead of
ports+messages). In the original Unix environment it didn't matter
much. It matters a lot now.

The Unix documentation SUCKS. I've been saying for 10 years that the
important part of the Unix docs are the sources. Compared to them, the
stuff for AmigaDOS is wonderful. At least they TRIED to tell you how
to write a device driver. With Unix, you get no such help (of course,
there may be people shipping Unix with just that, and I know there are
people who've done real docs for Unix). I should dig out my random
collection of humorous posting based on the Unix documentation.

On the other hand, Unix has one of the nicest sets of development
tools I've ever run into. The only thing I've even heard of which
might be better is Interlisp. If we could get all those tools on an
Amiga, that'd be great! As for Unix itself, the box is slow enough as
it is. Why make it worse?

Oh, yeah, the people suggesting porting the v7 clone to the Amiga:
That's the right one to use. V7 is as the "common subset" of the sysV
and 4BSD lines. It also hasn't suffered nearly as much random growth
as modern Eunices. Still no longer small and tight, but better than
the other choices.

	<mike

root@mentat.UUCP (doug) (12/27/86)

The question was "is Unix really all that wonderful", and Mike Meyers
correctly points out that Unix documentation sucks and furthermore is
based on an obsolete paradigm -- that of files and streams.

But we can learn an important lesson from the ways in which Unix *is*
wonderful. Note that most people still prefer doing development under
Unix than under any other commonly available system. And the first thing
we ask for (or write) on the Amiga are Unix development tools. In the
abstract, what is good about Unix is that what it does, it does "right".
Everything is just a stream of characters, and everything from system
calls to utilities generically supports this (actually Unix is best at
supporting streams of *lines* of printable characters) in a pretty modular
way. This made it so much easier to get things done that a lot of people
wrote programs for it in the early Bell Labs days, which would have been
too annoying to develop otherwise. It is no coincidence that Unix has
the development tools programmers want...it is a direct result of the
ease of assembling standard parts, just like in Henry Ford's revolutionary
assembly line. Interchangeable standard off-the-shelf parts are really
the only thing that made automobiles accessible and affordable; same
thing with Winchester rifles earlier.  And this is what makes Unix great.
So any future systems/applications we do should similarly operate on a
generic model.

The IFF standard for the Amiga is a good example of how useful it is to
have everyone speaking the same language. Unfortunately we lack some
flexibility...I'm told that on the Mac, you can cut and paste gadgets as
generically as text, for example. And isn't it too bad that, icon/workbench
flames aside, icons and executables are not part of that generic IFF
model. What you really want is to be able to design a program that deals
with anything easily. Why do we need an icon editor when we've already
got a paint program? Because of this lack of unity between icons and IFF.
Ideally icons would be part of the IFF standard, instead of just including
a reference to an IFF picture. Why should it be impossible to have digitized
sound played when you click an icon? Or to see a closed-loop animation
when you click? Why can't you "pipe" an image through a filter before
it hits the screen, then redirect it to the printer? (This last could be
emulated by a special purpose program, of course, but note that such
services are not generically available.)

In summary, this is not about Unix wars or Workbench flames; it's about
a neat little machine with a lot of potential which is as yet unrealized.
Fortunately, the Amiga has (I think and I hope) what we need to build a
good modular system. Along with IFF, it also has virtual device drivers,
which helps. For examples of what you get from highly developed modularity,
look at Smalltalk's objects and messages, look at Hypertext, look at
Unix shell scripts using dozens of utilities to massage text.

I believe that this kind of approach is necessary to really make the Amiga
shine. Otherwise it'll go down in history as just yet another machine with
yet another operating system, and that would be a real shame.

	Doug Merritt	hoptoad!mentat!doug, pesnta!mentat!doug,
			ucbvax!unisoft!certes!mentat!doug

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (12/31/86)

In article <216@mcdsun.UUCP> fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <210@elxsi.UUCP> wilkes@beatnix.UUCP (John Wilkes) writes:
>>In article <617@fmsrl7.UUCP> wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) writes:
>>Seriously, folks, is U**x really all that wonderful?

Yes.

>I just read the announcement in mod.newprod about Andy Tanenbaum's
>new book and the MINIX system.  MINIX is apparently a V7 UNIX clone and

Now I'd like to know as soon as someone finds out if MINIX will run
on the sidecar.  From what I heard MINIX requires an IBM PC or hardware
compatible clone.  Is the sidecar compatible enough for MINIX?

Sure I'd love to see UNIX on the Amiga, but if I can get UNIX on
the sidecar now, I'll buy the sidecar instead of the hard disk I've
been saving for.

Marnix