[comp.sys.amiga] How to cheat at MINDWALKER

d@alice.UUCP (12/31/86)

This hack for the game MindWalker which will let you determine how many lives
are available for your disposal :-).

WARNING: Some might call this cheating. I would, but I have neither the skill
	nor the patience to play MindWalker all the way through the way it is.
	It is simply *too* difficult (for me). Everything gets harder and meaner
	and beyond my ability, and I could never finish it in ten years
	without extra help. If this sounds like you, go ahead and try this.
	If not, don't blame me!

Start a game of MindWalker (new, saved, whatever.) Save it. Now, your job
is to find and modify offset 0x71 (hex 71) in the saved file, named
MWDisk:MindWorld<x>, where <x> is the letter you saved your game under.

This is how I do it: boot up a Workbench, open a CLI, and...
TYPE MWDisk:MindWorld<x> opt H TO PRT:

Offset 0x71 is the next one over from the first byte on the line marked
0070. Now, change it to whatever value you want - that'll be the number
of lives left when you restore this game.

This is how I do it: use a text editor that doesn't throw out funny characters,
like TxEd 1.2. Most versions of EMACS throw weird characters (control, ALT,
etc.) out. So does MANX Z. TxEd doesn't. (There are 768 or 0x300 bytes in this
file.) Find offset 0x71 by looking at your printout, finding an ASCII
character on the ASCII side (right-hand side),
and count off from there until you get to 0x71. Type in the new value using
hex entry mode, and press DELETE to get rid of the old one. Write it back to
disk. Fire up MindWalker, and continue the challenge.

Even after "cheating" and another two hours worth of play, I haven't won,
but the triumph is at least now in reach.

Good luck!

--
# Daniel Rosenberg (CE) AT&T Bell Labs, Murray Hill / Mi parolas Esperanton.
# disclaimer: These opinions are necessarily mine, not my employer's.

wagner@utcs.UUCP (01/01/87)

In article <6504@alice.uUCp> d@alice.UUCP writes:

>This hack for the game MindWalker which will let you determine how many lives
>are available for your disposal :-).
>
>WARNING: [deleted]
>
>This is how I do it: use a text editor that doesn't throw out funny characters,
>like TxEd 1.2.  [...]

I just thought I'd mention that there is a better (I think) way of doing this.
Having done arbitrary file fiddling with TxED before, I stumbled one day
across filezap, on fish disk 10.  Much nicer.  No source, unfortunately.
It's a full screen file zapper.  No documentation, either, but it's actually
helpful as you go along. I'm a little scared to try a file zapper without a
backup, so I copied the file first, but it went ok.

Oh, I used it to make EXECUTE temporary files go to ram rather than disk.
For the little that I use CLI scripts at all, it has worked so far.
Wonder if I should post it.  It makes EXECUTE a little faster, but it's still
no competition for a real command language.

Michael

andy@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (01/02/87)

In article <1987Jan1.121828.12467@utcs.uucp> wagner@utcs.UUCP (Michael Wagner) writes:

>Oh, I used it to make EXECUTE temporary files go to ram rather than disk.
>For the little that I use CLI scripts at all, it has worked so far.
>Wonder if I should post it.  It makes EXECUTE a little faster, but it's still
>no competition for a real command language.
>
>Michael

You can also reassign T: to ram:t  (after doing makedir of ram:t).
Under V1.1 this had occasional problems.  Under V1.2 it works fine.
(He said, crossing his fingers.  I use it, occasionally, anyway)

To speed up scripts still further, you can also reassign
the s: directory there (after making the ram:s directory, and
moving whatever scripts you need there)

			andy finkel
--

			andy finkel
			Commodore/Amiga

"Never make anything simple and efficient when it can be complex and wonderful."

cc1@locus.ucla.edu (Michael Gersten) (01/03/87)

There is a much better way to cheat at mind-walker: The mouse button gives
a two second pause. Using this, I won on my third try. Haven't played since.

The game is nice, but no replay value.
			Michael Gersten
      Views expressed here may not be those of the Computer Club, UCLA, or
  anyone in their left OR right mind.  And that's the name o' that tune.

wagner@utcs.UUCP (01/03/87)

In article <1197@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:

>You can also reassign T: to ram:t  (after doing makedir of ram:t).
>Under V1.1 this had occasional problems.  Under V1.2 it works fine.
>(He said, crossing his fingers.  I use it, occasionally, anyway)

Ummm...are you sure this works for EXECUTE?  The string I zapped was
:T/Commandsomethingorother, not T:.  But, of course, there could be
code to use T: if it was defined.  I don't remember running across this
feature in the enhancer manuals.  All I can find is reference to EDIT,
which will produce a T: if it doesn't exist (god knows how they do that...
I assume they mean :T!).

>To speed up scripts still further, you can also reassign
>the s: directory there (after making the ram:s directory, and
>moving whatever scripts you need there)

True enough, but copying files you plan to keep and modify back and forth
from RAM disk is a pain.  The temporary file fix is operationally very
simple, and it really is where such a file belongs.  If the system crashes,
I won't miss that temporary file. In fact, I only want it for a few seconds
at most - good use for a ram disk.

While we're talking about the Enhancer documents (well, I did mention
them up above, there), I found the updates to the RKM very sparse on
good information.  All that was in there were hints, and then, suggestions
to go consult some machine readable documentation I never got.   How come?
Can we get some of this stuff here?  I'd like to know about romtags in ram.
Also CopyMem().  I'd also like to know about fine-tuning my disk drive
step rate.  The parameters mentioned aren't in my 1.1 LC header files
(not surprisingly, I suppose).  How do we go about getting 1.2 header files?

Michael