[comp.sys.amiga] Monitor reflections

ekijak@ARDEC.ARPA (Edmund S. Kijak) (01/05/87)

The best anti-reflection method I have seen is the one used by DEC on
their (for example) Rainbow 100 PC.  It is an optical coating the same
as is used on expensive camera lenses, telescope and riflescope
lenses.  In my opinion, it works better than etched glass, polarizing
filters, and fine wire-mesh screens that I have seen in front of the
screen.  A fingerprint on the screen instantly destroys the
non-reflective property but so far, the fingerprints have been
removable with a cleaning solution (probably alcohol based) with no
apparent damage to the coating.  The Rainbow monitor I use is
monochrome (green) and I have not seen this method used with a color
monitor but it should still work.  Maybe it's too expensive to apply.

wagner@utcs.UUCP (01/07/87)

In article <911@ulowell.UUCP> ekijak@ARDEC.ARPA (Edmund S. Kijak) writes:

>The best anti-reflection method I have seen is the one used by DEC on
>their (for example) Rainbow 100 PC.  It is an optical coating the same
>as is used on expensive camera lenses, telescope and riflescope
>lenses.

By the description, this sounds similar to the coating put on modern
IBM 3278 terminals. It sure works well.

>Maybe it's too expensive to apply.

It might well be expensive.  Certainly the IBMers make a big deal of it.

Michael