[comp.sys.amiga] ...

hutch@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Jim Hutchison) (01/08/87)

fig()

Since uuen/decode do not do checksums, how about something as simple as
using a shar with wc built into it.  That way the check travels with the
data.  Admittedly not as good as a CRC, which I can send out source for a
simple program that does stdin to stdout and makes sure that the CRC equals
argv[1] (spews on stderr if a match does not occur).  Better than wc, but
not as automatic.
-
--
    Jim Hutchison   		UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!hutch
		    		ARPA:	Hutch@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (01/08/87)

In article <2431@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> hutch@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Jim Hutchison) writes:
>fig()
>
>Since uuen/decode do not do checksums, how about something as simple as
>using a shar with wc built into it.  That way the check travels with the
>data.  Admittedly not as good as a CRC, which I can send out source for a
>simple program that does stdin to stdout and makes sure that the CRC equals
>argv[1] (spews on stderr if a match does not occur).  Better than wc, but
>not as automatic.

How 'bout using sum(1) (from the man page):

     Sum calculates and prints a 16-bit checksum for the named
     file, and also prints the number of blocks in the file.  It
     is typically used to look for bad spots, or to validate a
     file communicated over some transmission line.

so run your file thru sum and include the value it returns with the
file, eh?

keith