[comp.sys.amiga] Delay in EGAD updates

root@mentat.UUCP (doug) (01/11/87)

Since John Draper (a.k.a. Cap'n Crunch, well!crunch) has been arrested
on charges of counterfeiting $32 BART tickets (public transit), it looks
like it may be awhile before we see another release of EGAD.

BTW Draper got his nickname for using free whistles from boxes of
Captain Crunch cereal for "phone phreaking" in the 70's (the whistles just
happened to be the right frequency to fool the phone equipment) and was
convicted in 1976 for this activity.

EGAD is a great idea, sorry to see Draper unavailable for work on it,
especially on such a ridiculous alleged activity.
	Doug Merritt	ihnp4!hoptoad!mentat!doug,
			ucbvax!unisoft!certes!mentat!doug

	I just spoke to John Draper on the phone a few minutes ago.  Here is
what he has to say about this event [BART scam].

	Nothing.

	He has been ordered by his attorney not to discuss this case under
any conditions with anyone.  He has allowed me to say that he is not
involved with the BART scam, and that you should vigorously ignore anything
you read or see in the media, as it is all untrue.

	All his equipment has been confiscated, and he will be off-line for
quite a while yet.  His attorney suspects that he will be absolved of any
involvement in this case by Monday (tomorrow).  In any case, John is
preparing a statement to be approved by his attorney for release onto the
networks.

	Patience, my friends.....

 ________		 ___			Leo L. Schwab
	   \		/___--__		The Guy in The Cape
  ___  ___ /\		    ---##\		ihnp4!ptsfa!well!ewhac
      /   X  \_____    |  __ _---))			..or..
     /   /_\--    -----+==____\ // \  _		well ---\
___ (   o---+------------------O/   \/ \	dual ----> !unicom!ewhac
     \     /		    ___ \_  (`o )	hplabs -/       ("AE-wack")
 ____ \___/			     \_/
	      Recumbent Bikes:			"Work FOR?  I don't work FOR
	    The _O_n_l_y Way To Fly!		anybody!  I'm just having fun."

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (01/12/87)

In a previous article Doug Merrit writes:
> Since John Draper (a.k.a. Cap'n Crunch, well!crunch) has been arrested
> on charges of counterfeiting $32 BART tickets (public transit), it looks
> like it may be awhile before we see another release of EGAD.
>
> BTW Draper got his nickname for using free whistles from boxes of
> Captain Crunch cereal for "phone phreaking" in the 70's (the whistles just
> happened to be the right frequency to fool the phone equipment) and was
> convicted in 1976 for this activity.

  Not quite the whole truth.  John built and sold some of the first
"Blue Boxes" and it was this that got him into jail.  And got his back
broken and his two front teeth knocked out by some mob types who didn't
like it when he said he wouldn't build any more boxes....

> EGAD is a great idea, sorry to see Draper unavailable for work on it,
> especially on such a ridiculous alleged activity.
> 	Doug Merritt	ihnp4!hoptoad!mentat!doug,
> 			ucbvax!unisoft!certes!mentat!doug

  We've been discussing this on the WELL, and the general feeling here
is that John probably isn't that stupid (many of us know him personally).
On the BART tickets, well, almost ten years ago IEEE Spectrum ran an
article that detailed how incredibly unsecure they are; I'd be VERY
surprised if there weren't fake tickets for sale out there somewhere.
Whether John might have been dumb enough to buy some of these I don't
know.....
  He is out on bail, and arraignment is set for <sometime this week>.
But, the moron police took his computer equipment, so he's not on-line.

--
Robert Bickford    {hplabs, ucbvax, lll-lcc, ptsfa, msudoc}!well!rab
terrorist cryptography DES drugs cipher secret decode NSA CIA NRO IRS