[comp.sys.amiga] Checksumming in postings....

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike Meyer) (01/13/87)

I've just been told that the latest version of news (C news) does
checksummed transfers itself. Articles that don't checksum are
rejected.

In other words, plans to add checksumming to postings will result in
double checksumming in the not-to-distant future.

	<mike

ses@oliveb.UUCP (Dean Brunette) (01/14/87)

In article <2179@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike Meyer) writes:

> I've just been told that the latest version of news (C news) does
> checksummed transfers itself. Articles that don't checksum are
> rejected.
>
> In other words, plans to add checksumming to postings will result in
> double checksumming in the not-to-distant future.
>
> 	<mike

Checksumming the postings with a program which does the checksums on the
Amiga (such as ARC) will allow checking of the ENTIRE transfer, not just
the news portions.  If checksumming through the mail is already performed
(assuming EVERY machine along the path has the latest news), then we can
be relatively sure that the only errors that would come up would be in
transferring from mainframe/micro to Amiga.

I mean, come on, the IBM sections use ARC, the CPM sections use ARC, the
ST sections use ARC, the Mac sections use PackIt (their equivalent), so
it can't be ALL that bad...

Dean Brunette, Olivetti Advanced Technology Center, Cupertino, CA

DISCLAIMER: I only know of one other person here with an Amiga...