[comp.sys.amiga] 1.2R PATH question

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (01/09/87)

I've had some time to get acquainted with the 1.2 Enhancer, and all
around I really like it.  A lot of the "rough edges" I disliked in 1.1
are gone, including the ugly icons, the ram: driver running out of
memory and crashing the system (now it tells me it's full), system
requestors automatically bringing the workbench screen to the front,
etc.  But the one command I was looking forward to so much, PATH, is
not behaving the way I expect it to.

Since I only have one disk drive, I spend lots of time swapping disks
in and out to load programs and data files.  I put the programs I use
90% of the time on my Workbench disk, in a directory called
newcommands (following a suggestion I picked up in the manual).  My
startup-sequence currently looks like the following:

addbuffers df0: 25
path add sys:newcommands sys:system sys:utilities sys:c
echo " "
prompt "Ok, Mike %N> "
echo "moving common commands to ram:..."
makedir ram:c
copy c:copy ram:c
assign c: ram:c
;
; lots of commands to copy files to ram:c go here...
;
run popcli

What I want to do is set up a search path such that, if I have some
random disk in the drive and I type the name of a command or a program
that resides on the Workbench disk, the machine will pop up a
requestor saying "Insert Disk Workbench 1.2 in any drive".  Then it
will load the command and program and I can go about my business.

Right now, when I attempt this feat, the CLI barks something like
"Unknown command foobie.bletch".  When the Workbench disk is in the
drive, however, it searches the directories on the path and finds
anything I can type.

If this system worked, I could have my cake and eat it too.  When I
type the name of an oft-used command, the system retrieves it from
ram:c.  When I type the name of a an obscure command, the system would
automatically request me to insert the disk, then load and execute it.

Also, I regularly use MicroEmacs 3.7 (until I can get my hands on
microGNU 1.0).  From what I can tell, it searches the current
directory and c: for the init file.  When I run Emacs from the
top-level directory with the .emacsrc file in newcommands, Emacs
doesn't find it.  Newcommands is on the search path.  Why isn't it
found?

Is it my expectations that are too high or does the PATH command do
more than the manual leads me to believe?

| Mike Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University Computer Science Department     |
|									     |
| ARPA: mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu						     |
| UUCP: {harvard | seismo | ucbvax | decwrl}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp	     |
|									     |
| "Salt and pepper people, stirred not shaken"				     |
|			--Big Audio Dynamite, "C'mon Every Beatbox"	     |

robertw@hpcvc0.HP (Robert Williams) (01/10/87)

  Since you are not assigning the rest of your system to RAM:,
it would make more sense to leave c: assigned to the boot disc.
(Also, WorkBench will like it better.)

  So do this:

makedir RAM:c
copy c:copy RAM:c
path RAM:c c:
{This makes your PATH:
  current dir
  RAM:c
  c:}
{Note that you will now use the RAM:c version of copy so the rest of
your script will be considerably faster.}
.
.
{copy the rest of your files}
.
.

-robertw

john13@garfield.UUCP (01/11/87)

In article <1115@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>What I want to do is set up a search path such that, if I have some
>random disk in the drive and I type the name of a command or a program
>that resides on the Workbench disk, the machine will pop up a
>requestor saying "Insert Disk Workbench 1.2 in any drive".  Then it
>will load the command and program and I can go about my business.
>
>Right now, when I attempt this feat, the CLI barks something like
>"Unknown command foobie.bletch".

There is a whole range of stuff like this that should probably be looked at:

- if I have path set to look at c: and drive_a:, and drive_a: is in the drive,
  it should look there first instead of having to <cancel> at the "Insert
  Workbench" prompt (after which it will work)
- it would be great to have directories like devs: on a path basis too;
  ie before forcing me to insert Workbench to load up the ser:, par:, ram:
  etc drivers, it should do something akin to an "if exists dfX:devs..."
- if I have many K tied up with addbuffers, then this should function something
  like a "partial virtual disk drive"; it should know when I try to
  access track foo of disk bar: that the info is available from the buffer,
  even though the disk may have been removed

On a completely unrelated topic, does Intuition actually eat right-Amiga-N/M
sequences, as well as left-Amiga ones? I thought I was doing something wrong
in the menu structure for "New  (A)N", but all the other (identical) ones
work perfectly. I realize, of course, that only the left-Amiga ones work
for WBenchToFront and WBenchToBack.

John

aaron@uwmacc.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (01/13/87)

In article <3388@garfield.UUCP> john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) writes:

>- if I have many K tied up with addbuffers, then this should function something
>  like a "partial virtual disk drive"; it should know when I try to
>  access track foo of disk bar: that the info is available from the buffer,
>  even though the disk may have been removed
>
>On a completely unrelated topic, does Intuition actually eat right-Amiga-N/M
>sequences, as well as left-Amiga ones? I thought I was doing something wrong
>in the menu structure for "New  (A)N", but all the other (identical) ones
>work perfectly. I realize, of course, that only the left-Amiga ones work
>for WBenchToFront and WBenchToBack.
>
>John

As near as I can tell, when you remove a disk from the drive (unmount it),
AmigaDOS throws out the buffer. So, if I do a list, and the next time I do
a list and it loads it from ram, if I put in a different disk and try to
list it, the Amiga demands the Workbench disk. I think they should at least
keep the buffer full until the next disk access.

I have a menu element with (A)N assigned to it, and it works fine, and I
can't imagine what your problem may be.

Aaron Avery ({seismo,harvard,caip,topaz,allegra,ihnp4}!uwvax!uwmacc!aaron)
            (aaron%maccunix@rsch.wisc.edu)
            (aaron@unix.macc.wisc.edu)

glee@cognos.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) (01/14/87)

In the operating system QNX (on IBM/PC), it has a very good scheme. It has two
things you can set, path and search. Path is where the system looks for
commands, and is a list of directories (without the disk drive portion), and
search is the search order of the drives for all file references without the
drive portion specified.

So, if we adopt this for Amiga, the search order for 2 floppy system might be
"ram: df0: df1:", and for hard disk system might be ram:/dh0:. The path might
be "c myc" -- on the drives in the search list -- or whatever. Very nice scheme
as long as you treat the drive specification above as "whatever disk happens to
be in the drive at the time the file open is made", and not as "whatever disk
happens to be in the drive when the search list is set".

By the way, I am not sure my postings are getting out, so I wouldn't mind some
flames!!
drive
Godfrey Lee, Cognos Incorporated, 3755 Riverside Drive,
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1G 3N3
(613) 738-1440				decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!glee