[comp.sys.amiga] Kermit Problem with VT100

wagner@utcs.UUCP (12/30/86)

I'm having a problem either with VT100 or with Kermit, I'm not sure
which.  I have a bunch of files on our UNIX system, which I'm downloading
en-masse to my Amiga (since I'm leaving soon to take a sabatical, and I want
to take the stuff with me).

To cut down on time, I compressed the files with compress(1).
It produces file names like strings.c.Z.  Using Unix Kermit and VT100 (v2.2?)
on my Amiga, these come out as strings.cxz.  Now I have to go back by hand
and change all these files to strings.c.z so that compress -d will uncompress
them.

Does anyone know what is going on here?  Is this fixed in a more recent
release of vt100?

As a secondary problem (which I can live with), all my
nicely-thought-out mixed case file names are converted to lower case.
There seems to be a #defined constant that controls this.  Is there any
reason not to turn this off?  Are there any side effects?

As a tertiary problem, compress for the Amiga (thanks, Fred) doesn't
seem to remove the old file when it creates the new one. Once again,
this one I can live with.  The code (on fish disk 6) to do this is all
#ifdef-ed out if your not running unix.  There's clearly some code in
that area that hasn't a hope on an amiga, but some of it looks OK.  Any
gotcha's in there before I go and put the unlink code back in?

Michael

dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) (12/31/86)

> Checksum: 43566
>

> I'm having a problem either with VT100 or with Kermit, I'm not sure
> which.  I have a bunch of files on our UNIX system, which I'm downloading
> en-masse to my Amiga (since I'm leaving soon to take a sabatical, and I want
> to take the stuff with me).
>
> To cut down on time, I compressed the files with compress(1).
> It produces file names like strings.c.Z.  Using Unix Kermit and VT100 (v2.2?)
> on my Amiga, these come out as strings.cxz.  Now I have to go back by hand
> and change all these files to strings.c.z so that compress -d will uncompress
> them.
I've been using my kludgely hacked arc from the net (kludged to the point
of not being able to automatically apply diffs to the originals that others
post). Anyhow, using unix arc both compresses and allows you to grab
directories of crud at a time.

> Does anyone know what is going on here?  Is this fixed in a more recent
> release of vt100?
I doubt vt100 is the culprit. Can you type:
Ckermit> help set file names

--
#include <std-disclaimer.h>
Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee mmm

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (12/31/86)

wagner@utcs says:

> I'm having a problem either with VT100 or with Kermit, I'm not sure
> which.  I have a bunch of files on our UNIX system, which I'm downloading
> en-masse to my Amiga ....
> To cut down on time, I compressed the files with compress(1).
> It produces file names like strings.c.Z.  Using Unix Kermit and VT100 (v2.2?)
> on my Amiga, these come out as strings.cxz.  Now I have to go back by hand
> and change all these files to strings.c.z so that compress -d will uncompress

    my amiga is still down for monitor repair, so i can't test this.  try
telling unix kermit "set file names literal".  if vt100 is the culprit,
try using amiga c-kermit; it's based on the same c-kermit you use on unix,
so it also has a literal-name option.  i think it also leaves case alone.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink: w hamilton

chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) (01/01/87)

In article <1986Dec30.131352.22951@utcs.uucp> wagner@utcs.uucp (Michael Wagner) writes:
>I'm having a problem either with VT100 or with Kermit, I'm not sure
>which.
>
>To cut down on time, I compressed the files with compress(1).
>It produces file names like strings.c.Z.  Using Unix Kermit and VT100 (v2.2?)
>on my Amiga, these come out as strings.cxz.  Now I have to go back by hand
>and change all these files to strings.c.z so that compress -d will uncompress
>them.
>
>As a secondary problem (which I can live with), all my
>nicely-thought-out mixed case file names are converted to lower case.
>There seems to be a #defined constant that controls this.  Is there any
>reason not to turn this off?  Are there any side effects?

To the best of my knowledge, this is a "feature" of the Kermit protocol; I
don't think vt100 is doing anything to the names, it's using them just as
it receives them.  The names are probably being "mangled" by the UNIX
Kermit program, in accordance with the Kermit protocol definition.

I messed with this issue for a while, and decided that I'd pretty much
have to live with it.  Then Mike Meyer gave me a better solution...

Mike has written (or obtained; I'm not sure which) a little hack called
'tarsplit' which runs on the Amiga and splits standard-issue UNIX 'tar'
files (subject to a couple of minor restrictions), and unpacks them into
AmigaDOS directory structures.  Neat stuff!  So now, when I want to do
major downloads, I organize all the stuff on the UNIX system into a directory
(if I have more than about 750k of stuff, I use more than one top-level
directory), run 'tar' on that directory, download the tar-file to a
scratch disk, and run 'tarsplit' on the Amiga to unpack the tar-file
onto a blank disk.

It should be possible to run 'compress' on the tar-file before downloading
and 'uncompress' afterwards, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'll talk to Mike when he gets back from vacation, and see if I can
get 'tarsplit' released.

Brent
--
Brent Chapman

chapman@eris.berkeley.edu	or	ucbvax!eris!chapman

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (01/01/87)

In article <1986Dec30.131352.22951@utcs.uucp> wagner@utcs.uucp (Michael Wagner) writes:
>As a tertiary problem, compress for the Amiga (thanks, Fred) doesn't
>seem to remove the old file when it creates the new one. Once again,
>this one I can live with.  The code (on fish disk 6) to do this is all
>#ifdef-ed out if your not running unix.  There's clearly some code in
>that area that hasn't a hope on an amiga, but some of it looks OK.  Any
>gotcha's in there before I go and put the unlink code back in?

I've since gone back and taken another look at compress, and cut
back the amount of code that was ifdef'd to a very minimum.  The version
I have is now a fully working version as far as I can tell, and will
appear on one of my new disks.  There were no real gotcha's that i recall.

-Fred

Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976

dpvc@ur-tut.UUCP (David Cervone) (01/14/87)

>In article <1986Dec30.131352.22951@utcs.uucp> wagner@utcs.uucp (Michael Wagner) writes:
>>I'm having a problem either with VT100 or with Kermit, I'm not sure
>>which.
>>
>>To cut down on time, I compressed the files with compress(1).
>>It produces file names like strings.c.Z.  Using Unix Kermit and VT100 (v2.2?)
>>on my Amiga, these come out as strings.cxz.  Now I have to go back by hand
>>and change all these files to strings.c.z so that compress -d will uncompress
>>them.
>>
>>As a secondary problem (which I can live with), all my
>>nicely-thought-out mixed case file names are converted to lower case.
>>There seems to be a #defined constant that controls this.  Is there any
>>reason not to turn this off?  Are there any side effects?

For C-Kermit based Kermits (like unix kermit and Jack Rouse's Amiga Kermit),
you can use the command SET FILE NAMES LITERAL to suppress file name
translation.  I haven't used VT100, so I don't know whether is has such an
options, but if you set literal file names on the unix side, it should at
least avoid having the second period turned into an "x" (that's being done at
the unix end).  I don't know where the case change is ocurring, but I suspect
it's at the Amiga end.  If you use Amiga C-Kermit (available from Columbia
University for free, and I think it's on a Fish Disk, too), you get the SET FILE
NAMES LITERAL command, so that should avoid the case problem, too.

Hope this helps.

Davide P. Cervone
University of Rochester Computing Center
Rochester, New York
DPVC@UORDBV.BITNET
DPVC@UR-TUT.UUCP

wagner@utcs.UUCP (01/15/87)

In article <958@ur-tut.UUCP> dpvc@ur-tut.UUCP (Davide Cervone) writes:
>>In article <1986Dec30.131352.22951@utcs.uucp> wagner@utcs.uucp (Michael Wagner) writes:
>> [I write about my problems with file name mangling with C-kermit and VT100]
>
>For C-Kermit based Kermits (like unix kermit and Jack Rouse's Amiga Kermit),
>you can use the command SET FILE NAMES LITERAL to suppress file name
>translation.  I haven't used VT100, so I don't know whether is has such an
>options, but if you set literal file names on the unix side, it should at
>least avoid having the second period turned into an "x" (that's being done at
>the unix end).  I don't know where the case change is ocurring, but I suspect
>it's at the Amiga end.  If you use Amiga C-Kermit (available from Columbia
>University for free, and I think it's on a Fish Disk, too), you get the SET FILE
>NAMES LITERAL command, so that should avoid the case problem, too.
>
>Hope this helps.

Actually, I now run with set file name literal on the unix side (it's in my
.kermrc file), and it doesn't seem to help.  Not sure why.

Michael