[comp.sys.amiga] Database application ideas sought

gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) (01/05/87)

[]

What would/do you all use databases for?  For what would you use a database that
allows pictures to be stored in it as well as text and numbers?

Are there any interesting applications that you are using or that you are
thinking about building that use databases of this sort?

	Thanks,
	Gary

glee@cognos.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) (01/08/87)

In article <4431@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) writes:
>What would/do you all use databases for?  For what would you use a database that
>allows pictures to be stored in it as well as text and numbers?

There are a lot of commercial use for it, such as storing catalog of inventory,
showing houses along with the description of the house for realty companies.

The combination of a home computer with colour graphics, a cheap digitizer, and
a database like the above make all that possible.

Somethings off the top of my head for personal use:

. online cookbook with the picture of the result of each recipe, or illustration
of the steps.

. phonebook with image of person

. catalog of my jewelry with picture of the jewelry, great for insurance
companies.

. database of icons

Come to think of it, you probably want a database where each column in a table
(item in a record) can be an iff object, so you can store not only pictures, but
also documents (encoded with layout information), sound piece, or even a
program. Actually, you could generalize it so each column can be a file
(actually pointer to a file).
Godfrey Lee, Cognos Incorporated, 3755 Riverside Drive,
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1G 3N3
(613) 738-1440				decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!glee

foy@aero.UUCP (01/15/87)

In article <298@cognos.UUCP> glee@northstar.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) writes:
>In article <4431@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> gary@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad)
> writes:
>>What would/do you all use databases for?  For what would you use a
>> database that
>>allows pictures to be stored in it as well as text and numbers?
>

>Come to think of it, you probably want a database where each column in a
> table
>(item in a record) can be an iff object, so you can store not only
> pictures, but
>also documents (encoded with layout information), sound piece, or even a
>program. Actually, you could generalize it so each column can be a file
>(actually pointer to a file).
>--
>Godfrey Lee, Cognos Incorporated, 3755 Riverside Drive,
>Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1G 3N3
>(613) 738-1440				decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!glee
Here are some thoughts on how I would use databases with images etc. Acutally
I am starting to do some of this now using PageSetter for images and for
text with Fig. No of the images referrences in the text. I can search the text
from a CLI window then go to PageSetter to see the image. I am very new to the
Amiga so am learning.

Uses:

Notes from articles, books etc, on a variety of subjects where information is
both in text and images, ie sketches of schematics, of historical movements,
of brain structures etc.

Index of tape cassetts with samples of the sound to give a quick review of the
type of music or meditation relaxation on the tape.

Notes from classes with appraopriate images.

Notes and images of family trees.

Notes and images of slides of places I have been on vacation.

If the idea of a phone directory with pictures could be searched by facial
characteristics, it would be quite helpfull in locating someone whose name
is lost in the recesses of my brain but whose picture is still somewhat
familiar.

Richard Foy, Redondo Beach, CA
The opinions I have expressed are the result of many years in the school of
hard knocks. Thus they are my own.