[comp.sys.amiga] With friends like these....

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (01/05/87)

When is owning an Amiga not fun?  When you encounter the following
scenario:

I was at home in Detroit for Christmas.  I decided to pick up some
software for my machine while I was there.  My two prime objectives
were to get a copy of the 1.2 Enhancer and access to the Fish Disk
collection.  I investigated two dealers in Detroit that were big on
Amiga support -- The Slipped Disk and Micro World (the place sells
the reconditioned Amigas and also the same place from which I bought
my machine).  Micro World has four shops in the Detroit area.

I called Micro World's Roseville store earlier in the week and asked
if I could get copies of the Fish Disks.  Sure, they said, but you
have to be a member of their software rental club.  I explained to
them that my permanent home is Detroit, that I spend most of my time
attending college in Pittsburgh, and that a membership in their
software rental club would be useless to me.  They said that I could
copy the disks in-store for a fee of $3 per disk NOT COUNTING media,
which I had to purchase myself.  They also told me they sent all their
disks back to their central store in Livonia for updating (since the
contents of the disks do not change, I silently wondered to myself
why this was necessary).  I would have to go to the Livonia store (a
60 mile round trip drive from my house, compared to 10 for Roseville)
to get copies.

I called the Livonia store and asked if it was okay for me to stop in
and get copies.  After explaining my situation and the fact that I
purchased my Amiga from Micro World, the man on the phone confirmed it
was okay.  This was Tuesday; I planned to go out and get the copies
Saturday.

Saturday came.  I decided to call The Slipped Disk, since they were
much closer to me than the Livonia Micro World store.  They politely
informed me there was no way I could obtain copies of the Fish Disks
without being a member of their rental club.  I explained my
situation.  They refused to allow me access to the disks.  Fine, I
thought to myself.  I can still go to Micro World.

I called the Micro World store in Livonia one more time to see if they
had the 1.2 Enhancer in stock, so I could pick it up along with the
Fish Disks.  The salesman said he didn't have any of the Enhancer disks,
but that he was going to go to the Dearborn store that day and pick up
two dozen copies.  If they would let him have that many, he added.  He
also told me that 20 of those copies were already reserved for people
that paid in advance.

I asked him when he would be going to the Dearborn store, so that I
could stop by Livonia when the disks were in stock.  He told me that
he did not know when he would be able to go and thus did not know when
the Enhancer disks would be in stock.  I asked him if the Dearborn store
had the Fish Disks, since I did not want to add another 40 miles
minimum to my trip for the day.  He said he did not know.  I asked
him if the Roseville store might have gotten either in stock since the
last time I talked to them, on the off chance he might know (after
all, this was their central store).  At this point he shouted at me:

"Look, I just don't know!"

followed by

"If you would just get off the phone and let me tend to my
customers I might be able to find out something!"

Obviously I was not considered a customer, since I was not worth his
time.  I politely replied, "This conversation is clearly counter
productive", said goodbye, then hung up.  Too bad I didn't get his name.

I went to the Dearborn store.  They had the Enhancer in stock, but not
Fish Disks.  So after a day of hassle and downright rudeness from the
Amiga dealerships in the Detroit area, I ended up with half of what I
was searching for.

I have but two questions:

	1) Where do these people get off restricting access and
charging fees for access to freely redistributable software?  Can they
legally do this?  For the record, Micro World's rental club requires a
$19.95 fee to join (free if you buy your machine from them) plus a
$200 security deposit.  The rental fee is 25% of purchase price,
applicable toward purchase should you opt to buy it.  I would be
interested in hearing Fred Fish's word on this issue.  Fred, are you
listening?

	2) How does the largest Commodore dealership in Michigan expect to
sell Amigas, let alone compete with Atari and Apple, if they have
the rudest salespeople to be found anywhere?  If anyone else had to go
through the hell I went through to get one piece of software I'm sure
they would have tossed their Amiga into the ocean and bought an ST
or //gs instead.  I did not treat the salesperson like he was dirt; I
was merely asking him innocuous questions.  He was the one to alienate me.

The above opinions are my own and not those of my institution.

| Mike Portuesi								     |
| Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department		     |
|									     |
| ARPA: mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu						     |
| UUCP: {harvard | seismo | ucbvax | decwrl}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp	     |
|									     |
| "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"		     |
|			--Laurie Anderson, "Home of the Brave"		     |

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (01/06/87)

In article <1112@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>When is owning an Amiga not fun?  When you encounter the following
>scenario:
> [detailed description of Mike's frustrating experience deleted -- fnf]

Wow, I hope most people are able to find copies of the disks without having
to go through that kind of run-around.  At least you didn't drive all
over the place to boot!

>					They said that I could
>copy the disks in-store for a fee of $3 per disk NOT COUNTING media,
>which I had to purchase myself.

Copying 50 or so disks ties up a machine for quite a while (believe me,
I know :-), so in principle, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me
for a store to charge a "machine rental fee" for arbitrary people
wandering in off the street (as opposed to their regular customers).
However, most stores are perfectly satisfied to just sell you the disks
and point you towards a machine.  If you walk in the door with a box
full of blanks they might not be so cooperative though.  I must admit
$3 per disk sounds kind of steep since it is your time and materials.

>			  They also told me they sent all their
>disks back to their central store in Livonia for updating (since the
>contents of the disks do not change, I silently wondered to myself
>why this was necessary).

Updating!!!  I have a firm policy of not changing disks once they are
released.  If anyone is adding material to, or deleting material from,
any of my disks and then passing them on as official copies I would
definitely want to know about it.  I had one scare about 6 months ago
when a rather irate gentleman called and wanted to know why I was
distributing copies of his commercial product on my disks.  I had
never heard of him or his product.  Turns out a computer dealer
had "reorganized" some of my disks to produce his own library, and
this gentleman's product somehow ended up on one of them.  The matter
was resolved amicably for everyone concerned.

>	1) Where do these people get off restricting access and
>charging fees for access to freely redistributable software?  Can they
>legally do this?  For the record, Micro World's rental club requires a
>$19.95 fee to join (free if you buy your machine from them) plus a
>$200 security deposit.  The rental fee is 25% of purchase price,
>applicable toward purchase should you opt to buy it.  I would be
>interested in hearing Fred Fish's word on this issue.  Fred, are you
>listening?

There are quite a few user groups that charge small fees for mail-ordered
copies of their library disks, and a few that do the same for disks
copied at their meetings.  I do not feel "ripped-off" or taken advantage
of by this practice, as in most cases, any small profit generally goes
to help fund other activities and promote the Amiga.  The same goes
for magazines like Amazing Computing that make the disks available for
their readers.  I think the law of supply and demand will probably
prevent profiteering, for the most part.

-Fred
Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (Don't have strength to leave) Meyer) (01/08/87)

Fred (and everybody else out there),

One of the things I've been thinking about doing is going through all
the disks you distribute (and any other PD disks I can get my hands
on), finding and classifying the most useful programs, and then
rearranging things so that 1) each disk only has programs of one
class, and 2) the most recent version of each program was on that
disk.

For instance, a general utilities disk that has dirutil, popcli,
Dillon's shell and such like on it; a development utilities disk with
cc, make and who knows what else (lex, yacc, bison, maybe others?), a
source examples disk, and an Emacs disk. Other things are obviously
possible.

However, I don't want to get involved in distribution, and this
involves a significant amount of work that I'd rather not do (the
thought of which makes me appreciate what you do all the more!). The
thought of making some money off of it makes it more likely that I'd
do it, but I'd hate to make anyone mad by doing so.

The bottom line question is: if I did this, and charged dollars for
the disks (say, $20 to $30, including printed copies of the
documentation, where available), how many people would be upset. Most
importantly, how many people contributing software to the PD would get
upset?

	Thanx,
	<mike

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (01/09/87)

In article <2125@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (Don't have strength to leave) Meyer) writes:
>	...							The
>thought of making some money off of it makes it more likely that I'd
>do it, but I'd hate to make anyone mad by doing so.
>
>The bottom line question is: if I did this, and charged dollars for
>the disks (say, $20 to $30, including printed copies of the
>documentation, where available), how many people would be upset. Most

My position is that anyone is free to do anything with my disks.  Period.
I have no interest in, nor could I legally enforce, putting any restrictions
on distribution or use of my collection.  It exists primarily through
the generosity of the many people who have made their software freely
available in source and/or binary form, and permitted redistribution.

Since it is reasonably clear from your posting that your intention is
to treat it as a "business", the only way I can see that you could
possibly stay in business at that price (I'm assuming you mean $20 to $30
per disk) is to prevent others from taking your resultant work and
remarketing it for substantially less. One way to do this, would be to
claim a copyright on the resultant collection (but not necessarily on
each individual piece).  It is my understanding that copyright law allows
you to do this.  Witness what CIS claims about their collection...

clear that doing anything with truely public domain software is perfectly
legal, but can draw public flames from the author if he deems such
action to be somehow out of line with his wishes for the software.
Doing the same thing with copyrighted, but freely redistributable, software
can not only draw public flames, but possibly legal action if it somehow
violates the author's stated restrictions on the software.  Note that
a good portion of the software on my disks falls into this second
category.

One of my goals was to get as much software as possible into the hands
of people that could take the time to enhance it and make it better,
value-added if you will, and thus increase both the quality and quantity
of available software for the Amiga.  What you propose to do is certainly
within the bounds of that goal.

adjones@mcnc.UUCP (Amy D. Jones) (01/16/87)

In article <2125@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> Mike Meyer says:

-> One of the things I've been thinking about doing is going through all
-> the disks you distribute (and any other PD disks I can get my hands
-> on), finding and classifying the most useful programs, and then
-> rearranging things so that 1) each disk only has programs of one
-> class, and 2) the most recent version of each program was on that
-> disk.
-> . . .

Our users group (ready?...Amigoids Anonymous--There I've said it.) already
does what you described--sort of.  We actually share the library of another
users group (AURA--Amiga Users of the Raleigh Area) who does this.  We take
all the PD stuff we can find (mostly Fish & AMICUS material) and categorize
it onto various disk types--currently Demos, Games, Utilities, Applications,
How2 (how to... files), and Nets (Usenet news).  We have not culled out all
of the things that don't run, but we do replace old versions of a program
with any updates we find.  As the AA librarian, I plan to propose to the
group that we do what you said--that is, include only the useful programs
in our library.  We distribute the AURA disks by mail at $5 each.  I suppose
I could upload a copy of our directory along with ordering information as
soon as I get a chance.

  -->    // Amiga |  adjones@mcnc  /  UNC@CH Chemistry  /  PLink: ohs733 <--
  -->  \X/ Amy    |  Amy Jones; RR 4, Box 411; Chapel Hill, NC  27514    <--