[comp.sys.amiga] Juggler Workings and decompression

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (01/12/87)

I never got the original posting, instead a friend gave me the
executable with movie.dat all sewn up.  Since I don't know whether
'frame' is refering to an entire frame of video (doubtful?) or a much
smaller 'section' of the entire frame we see, I can't really get excited
about the decompression.  Are we talking 64-128k of src frame data being
decompressed from 64-128k of displayed image data?  Or 10-30K of source data
decompressed to 64-128K of displayed image data? Or ... well you get the
idea...  Did I miss something?

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

keithd@cadovax.UUCP (01/18/87)

In article <549@elmgate.UUCP> jdg@aurora.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:
>I never got the original posting, instead a friend gave me the
>executable with movie.dat all sewn up.  Since I don't know whether
>'frame' is refering to an entire frame of video (doubtful?) or a much
>smaller 'section' of the entire frame we see, I can't really get excited
>about the decompression.  Are we talking 64-128k of src frame data being
>decompressed from 64-128k of displayed image data?  Or 10-30K of source data
>decompressed to 64-128K of displayed image data? Or ... well you get the
>idea...  Did I miss something?

Well, I posted the original message, and I really don't know just what
we are talking about either.  From the text that pops up at the beginning
of the juggler program it implies that 10k is decompressed to 'something'
in 30ms.  That started me wondering about a possible application of the
blitter to decompress screen data on the fly.  So far, I still don't know
just what the comments on the startup screen of the Juggler mean in
these regards.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa