[comp.sys.amiga] Dave Wecker's Ray-traced images not credited

papa@bacall.UUCP (Marco Papa) (01/06/87)

Today I received a copy of Deluxe News from Electronic Arts.  It
featured an article on NewTek's DigiView, and as part of that article
it included a picture of Dave Wecker's HAM GLASS image with NO credit
attributed to Dave. Very unprofessional!

-- Marco Papa
   Felsina Software

chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) (01/07/87)

In article <2249@bacall.UUCP> papa@bacall.UUCP (Marco Papa) writes:
>Today I received a copy of Deluxe News from Electronic Arts.  It
>featured an article on NewTek's DigiView, and as part of that article
>it included a picture of Dave Wecker's HAM GLASS image with NO credit
>attributed to Dave. Very unprofessional!

I've been told (though I haven't seen for myself) that the ray-traced
are Amiga-formatted versions of pictures that are on the MicroVAX demo
tapes (note that Dave works for DEC...).  As such, it is possible that
either they are public domain, or that Dave is not the original creator
anyway (not that I don't thank Dave for converting them to Amiga and
then posting them!).  It's possible, in other words, that EA hasn't really
done anything wrong this time...

Brent
--
Brent Chapman

chapman@eris.berkeley.edu	or	ucbvax!eris!chapman

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (01/07/87)

In article <2249@bacall.UUCP> papa@bacall.UUCP (Marco Papa) writes:
>Today I received a copy of Deluxe News from Electronic Arts.  It
>featured an article on NewTek's DigiView, and as part of that article
>it included a picture of Dave Wecker's HAM GLASS image with NO credit
>attributed to Dave. Very unprofessional!

Actually, that picture is captioned: " A 320x400 computer generated
image displayed in Digi-Paint in 4,096 colors."  That makes it sound
more like it was created by Digi-Paint.  In all fairness, it is possible
that that pic was shown using Digi-Paint and credit was not known.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (01/08/87)

Whether or not Dave W. was the video artist, the source of the
image should be clearly cited.  None of the art presented in Deluxe
News was very clearly referenced.  If they got something from what
they believed to be the public domian, they should have clearly
said so.

What I'm really curious about is the Deluxe Library diskette with
the digitized impressionist paintings on it.  I don't know if they
have obtained the rights to reproduce the images; I'll assume for
the moment that they did.  What bothers me is that they imply that
I can freely use the images in my own work.  It seems like this
could get leagally sticky, as most of the works of art from the
impressionist era are currently protected under copyright.
Prehaps, they don't have to worry about me, and legally it's up to
me to seek permission, and they can say whatever they want.

By the way take the time to write a letter to the Editor.  I wrote
to EA to complain about the copy protection after my dPaint disk
crapped out.  They actually to the time to wirte back,
acknowledging that they read my letter.  Maybe, if enough annoyed
users take time to wirte, they'll change their minds, and well be
able to buy a useful (read that copyable) version right in the
store.  I don't care if I have to pay a little more.  The idea of
having to send the cover from the manual in with more money and
waiting three weeks before you can use a program is stupid.  I
won't consider using a program for real business until I have a
copy I know that I can back-up.  The back-up method on the copy
proof disks isn't workable since you've always got to put the
master in at least to get started.  I might consider a copy proof
scheme akin to "prolock III" that is used on the IBM PC, as that
one doesn't require the master be present for every single
invocation of the program.

  --Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP    ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

In article <353@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP writes:
>What I'm really curious about is the Deluxe Library diskette with
>the digitized impressionist paintings on it.  I don't know if they
>have obtained the rights to reproduce the images; I'll assume for
>the moment that they did.  What bothers me is that they imply that
>I can freely use the images in my own work.  It seems like this
>could get leagally sticky, as most of the works of art from the
>impressionist era are currently protected under copyright.

How do you figure that?  The impressionist paintings are all over
52 years old (max copyright).  Have the museums since re-copyrighted
them?  I kinda doubt it, though they may control peoples ability to
photograph them.  If there's a copyright law that would cover the old
masters paintings, I'd like to hear how it works.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/18/87)

> How do you figure that?  The impressionist paintings are all over
> 52 years old (max copyright).  Have the museums since re-copyrighted
> them?

I might have been wrong about some/all impressionist paintings
being protected.  I was going on the experinece that I had when I
was in Paris two years ago.  At the Louvre, you're not restricted
in carrying a camera and can photograph anything in sight as long
as you don't go waving a flashbulb around.  At the Gerre du Pomme
(sorry if I misspelled that!) that houses Impressionist era work,
they are very surly about confiscating one's camera while in the
galleries.  I asked the interpreter why that was, and she said that
is was becuase of copyright restrictions.  Perhaps she was wrong,
or some of the younger works are still protected.

  --Bill  (I hope this is more than 75%, Ugh!)