[comp.sys.amiga] Request for TxEd info

adjones@mcnc.UUCP (Amy D. Jones) (01/15/87)

I'm tired of Ed's weirdness with <CTRL>-characters and Tab expansion (etc),
so I'm looking around for an alternate editor.  uEmacs (The Extras 1.2
version) is very powerful, but I don't really like the way it 'feels'.
The multiple-character commands (i.e., ^X^D, ^Xe, ^X^X,...) seem clumbsy
to me--wouldn't it have been nicer to have used the 'Amiga'-key combinations
instead (though I suppose it wouldn't be uEmacs then).  Anyway, my point is
that I've played with the TxEd 1.3 demo and I really like it.  I know some
of you have it & I'm hoping you can give me some information about its
capabilities.  In particular, I'm interested in the following features:

 - Does it support any sort of macro structures--or can it take input from
   an external file?  This one feature (command files) has made the 'Edit'
   line editor very useful to me.

 - How about repeated commands?  By this I'm referring to the Ed *rp(..)
   or Edit 0(..) type of structure.

 - Is it easy to insert an external file at a certain point.  I've never
   seen an editor without this capability, but I thought I'd ask since
   I didn't see how to do it from the demo (no instructions).

 - How easy is it to export a marked block to another file?  This is
   very easy with Ed -- not so easy with uEmacs -- very slow with Edit.

Those specific questions come to mind, but anything else you want to throw
in (special likes/dislikes) would also be appreciated.  If there are any
other screen editors that I don't know about (Does anybody have MetaScribe
from Metadigm?) please tell me.

  -->...........................aTdHvAaNnKcSe............................<--
  -->    // Amiga |  adjones@mcnc  /  UNC@CH Chemistry  /  PLink: ohs733 <--
  -->  \X/ Amy    |  Amy Jones; RR 4, Box 411; Chapel Hill, NC  27514    <--
  -->....................................................................<--

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (01/18/87)

TxEd has no command file, or repeat command functions, sorry.
However it has a slick (maybe quick & dirty) way of doing cut & paste
between files (or import/export of a section). You simply open a second
(or third or....) copy of TxEd, and using the clipboard, cut & paste
between the two (or more) copies of TxEd till you've got what you need.

I hate ED, both ED and EDIT have been deleted from my C dir, and
replaced with TxEd. I'm not sure if TxEd is worth the $60 list, but I
only paid $35-$40 for it from Go-Amiga. Well worth that price! Buy it!

"The Admiral is well aware of the regulations..."

Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland
{ihnp4, decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
560 Arapeen Drive  Salt Lake City, Utah 84108  (801) 582-5847

wagner@utcs.UUCP (01/19/87)

In article <501@mcnc.UUCP> adjones@mcnc.UUCP (Amy D. Jones) writes:

>I'm tired of Ed's weirdness with <CTRL>-characters and Tab expansion (etc),
>so I'm looking around for an alternate editor.
>I know some of you have it
>[TxEd 1.3] & I'm hoping you can give me some information about its
>capabilities.

Well, I have TxEd 1.1 (I didn't know 1.3 was available..guess I should have
sent in the little card, huh)...I'll try to answer.

>In particular, I'm interested in the following features:
>
> - Does it support any sort of macro structures--or can it take input from
>   an external file?

Nope.

> - How about repeated commands?  By this I'm referring to the Ed *rp(..)
>   or Edit 0(..) type of structure.

None that I've found.

> - Is it easy to insert an external file at a certain point.  I've never
>   seen an editor without this capability, but I thought I'd ask since
>   I didn't see how to do it from the demo (no instructions).

Well, I must admit is is counter-intuitive.  You have to use MORETXED
to open a second copy of TxEd, paste the file you want into the clipboard,
and then pick it up with Insert on the first copy of TxEd.  Did that make
sense?

> - How easy is it to export a marked block to another file?  This is
>   very easy with Ed -- not so easy with uEmacs -- very slow with Edit.

This is the same, basically, as the question above.  You export the marked
block to the clip, pick it up with another copy of the editor, and do whatever
you want to do with it there.

>Those specific questions come to mind, but anything else you want to throw
>in (special likes/dislikes) would also be appreciated.

It has the best disclaimer in the business!  Also, I couldn't find a way
to remove nulls from a file.  Oh, and I think it doesn't use the system
keymap, because I couldn't find a way of making an e' (for the word resume')
properly.

Hope this helps.

Michael