[comp.sys.amiga] WARNING: problem with Amiga shar program on StarChart

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (01/18/87)

[ ... go ahead, eat my bits ... ]

I have been using the "shar" program from Fish Disk #28 for a couple of
months, and haven't had any problems unsharing anything on the Amiga ...
until today!

I was going to look at Amiga-izing the StarChart programs and condensed
Yale star catalog that were posted to net.sources this past week by Alan
Paeth, and discovered that the 1st character of each line had been tossed
away when it was unshared.  Naturally, this discovery was made after I'd
already blown off the shar files themselves :-( !

Now to go get the shar files again, and figure out what's so unique
about this particular format that's being used (sigh).

BTW, anyone who is Beta testing Marco Papa's Tektronix Emulator might want
to give the StarChart s/w a try ... there is a driver for Tek tubes, as
well as for UNIX(R) pic format, and now PostScript.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

glee@cognos.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) (01/20/87)

In article <5213@amdahl.UUCP> kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

>I was going to look at Amiga-izing the StarChart programs and condensed
>Yale star catalog that were posted to net.sources this past week by Alan
>Paeth, and discovered that the 1st character of each line had been tossed
>away when it was unshared.  Naturally, this discovery was made after I'd
>already blown off the shar files themselves :-( !
>
>Now to go get the shar files again, and figure out what's so unique
>about this particular format that's being used (sigh).

What happened is that some shar files are constructed without a fill character
at the start of the line, but the sed command line has something like /^@/,
which I guess means 0 character, but the unshar routine in the shar program
doesn't know that @ is magic, and counts it as 1 character, hence the
stripping of the first character.
Godfrey Lee, Cognos Incorporated, 3755 Riverside Drive,
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1G 3N3
(613) 738-1440				decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!glee