[comp.sys.amiga] More RAM = Less Hack

hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) (01/15/87)

   I recently got a 2 Meg RAM expansion box(*).  I figured that now, with
all this RAM power, I would be able to have lattice compiling while
having enough room to play Hack in the background.  But no...
   I have the Software Distillery (thats the one that says John A
Toebes VIII all over it) Hack v1.01E.  This has cute little pictures
for the monsters.
   With RAM expansion, Hack boots up with an *Empty* screen.  No walls,
nothing.  You can't even see yourself, and the only way you know that
the game hasn't crashed is when you hit the "j" key, and it says
"You hit your dog".  Nice, eh?
   Obviously Hack failed to AllocMem into CHIP, but is instead putting
its graphics into fast mem.  Since the video chip can't see the fast
mem image data, you get a blank screen.
   Does anyone know whether the rumored version of Hack (v1.03) is
out yet for the Amiga, and if so, does it solve this problem?

*: Even after being subjected to all of Perry's ads, I still managed
to get a non ASDG ram board.

-- Dan Green
--
ARPA:  hsgj%vax2.ccs.cornell.edu@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
UUCP:  ihnp4!cornell!batcomputer!hsgj   BITNET:  hsgj@cornella

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (01/17/87)

hsgj@batcomputer says:

>    Obviously Hack failed to AllocMem into CHIP, but is instead putting
> its graphics into fast mem.  Since the video chip can't see the fast
> mem image data, you get a blank screen.
>    Does anyone know whether the rumored version of Hack (v1.03) is
> out yet for the Amiga, and if so, does it solve this problem?

    i spoke to john toebes a few days ago.  hack 1.03 should be out
in a couple weeks.  he has been using expansion ram on his amiga, so
presumably this new version is fast-mem-compatible.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	ihnp4!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink: w hamilton

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (01/21/87)

In article <2027@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, Dan Green
(hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu) writes:

[ Dan writes about his 2 meg ram expansion and problems with Hack v1.01E ]

>    With RAM expansion, Hack boots up with an *Empty* screen.  No walls,
> nothing.  You can't even see yourself, and the only way you know that
> the game hasn't crashed is when you hit the "j" key, and it says
> "You hit your dog".  Nice, eh?
>    Obviously Hack failed to AllocMem into CHIP, but is instead putting
> its graphics into fast mem.  Since the video chip can't see the fast
> mem image data, you get a blank screen.

Try FixHunk.  Here is the description from Fish Disk #36:

    FixHunk      A program to modify executable files to allow them to
          run in external memory.  It forces all DATA and BSS hunks
          in the file to be loaded into CHIP memory.  CODE hunks will
          still load into FAST ram if available.  Version 1.2a.
          Author: D.J. James

This ought to have you Hack-ing again in no time!

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever