[comp.sys.amiga] Flight Simulator II

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (12/30/86)

I finally decided to fork over some green and acquire a copy
of Sublogic's Flight Simulator II for the Amiga.  After about an hour
or two of use here are some comments (and a short flame):

1. It takes over the machine (which is understandable), but the mouse
   interface is foreign to an Amiga owner.  It seems the Amiga version
   is a port from the Atari ST version and they ported the GEM interface.
   You point to a menu item, click left to pull it down, then click again
   either on another menu item, the desired menu  item or anywhere else to
   forget it all.

2. It comes up in the SFO area.  Since I got my intrument ticket here,
   I tried to shoot an ILS at SFO, OAK and SJC.  No luck!  After a phone
   call to them today, boy am I PO'ed!  "Oh, none of the instrument approaches
   in the Bay Area works.  We're planning an update sometime soon.  Try
   calling us back at the end of January to see if it's ready.  Oh, and it
   should fix the green clouds too."  When I asked about the update policy:
   "We don't have any policy yet, but in the past you'd send in your original
   disk and we'd send the update back out.  It might be the same now, but
   I don't know."  Then we talked about letting such an obvious bug get out:
   "So many people wanted it, that they were willing to take it with bugs."

-- short flame --
   I think that releasing a program with such an obvious bug (since it
   starts up by default in the Bay Area) is an awful thing to do.
   Although it IS a nice simulation (and well worth buying, so far), I
   suggest you consider waiting a month or so until the next release
   gets out.  Those of us that are funding your development effort
   should be amply rewarded by promptly sending us updates FREE for
   some reasonable period of time (not just ONE update).  I also feel
   that emulating the GEM interface was the WRONG choice.  They should
   have done the Amiga for the Amiga and then maybe emulated that
   interface on the ST.  (Having done a port to the Amiga, I do
   understand the problems involved.)