[comp.sys.amiga] Need Comparative Info on AMIGA vs. MAC+ for use in a MIDI system

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (01/21/87)

I am seriously looking to add a computer to my electronic music system.
I have investigated the Macintosh+ (along with an Imagewriter II printer)
and software and MIDI interfaces need to go with it.

I have also started to hear talk about the speed, graphics and power of the
AMIGA for MIDI.

What I'd like to know is, what is the cost of the AMIGA (and a printer) versus
the MAC+?  Are they both equally easy to use?  Is one more versatile than the
other?  How's the support for them?  Is there as much music sotware
available for the AMIGA as there seem to be for the MAC+?

Please send me e-mail if you have ANY knowledge about the above.  I would
really appreciate it.

Thanks.

						Jim Collymore

ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) (01/22/87)

	I am in the exact same position as you are:  considering both
the Amiga and the Mac+.  Here is what I have discovered.

COST:
	The same.  I can get a Mac+ and Imagewriter for $1695, and
a 512K Amiga with printer for the same price.

GRAPHICS:
	The Amiga wins.  4096 colors, the Deluxe Paint program, and
ease of animation are much better than the Mac+ features.

EASE OF USE:
	Mac+ wins, with a qualification.  The Mac interface is trivial
to learn.  The Amiga's, with its 2-button mouse, is slightly more
complicated.  However, the Amiga gives you a second user interface
(a command-line interface, like the [yecch] IBM does), so you have
a choice unavailable on the Mac.  I am sure that with practice,
all these computer interfaces are fine to use.

MUSIC SOFTWARE:
	The Mac+ has better software available, including:

	Notation:		PROFESSIONAL COMPOSER
	Sequencer:		PERFORMER
	Sample editing:		SOUND DESIGNER
	Additive Synthesis: 	SOFTSYNTH

	Realize that these packages all cost between $200-$500.
For the Amiga, there are a few sequencers (SOUNDSCAPE, TEXTURE),
a few sampler packages, notation (DELUXE MUSIC CONSTRUCTION SET),
and so on, but the software is not as polished as the Mac software
is (in my opinion).  No wonder -- the Amiga is a newer machine!
If you plan to "roll your own" software (as I do), I suspect you
will find the Amiga easier to program.  (No flames about this,
please!!  I based that sentence on numerous talks with both Mac
and Amiga programmers.  If you want more justification than that,
send me e-mail.)

COMPUTER ITSELF:
	The Amiga is multi-tasking, and the Mac is not.  For me,
this feature is all the difference in the world.  This means you
can run several programs simultaneously.  (For more details, send
me e-mail.)

CONCLUSION:
	If you are a relative computer novice, the Mac is for you.
If you want lots of great software right now, the Mac is for you.
If you plan to write your own software, the Amiga is for you.
If you plan to do graphics-intensive work, the Amiga is for you.

	Realize that these are just my opinions!  I don't want to start
a Mac-Amiga war.  Both computers are fantastic machines (I use a Mac+
and an IBM PC regularly at the Peabody Computer Music Studio), and I would
be happy to own either one.  That's why I am having such a tough choice
between these 2 machines.
--
  -- Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
			barrett@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa

shebanow@ji.Berkeley.EDU (Mike Shebanow) (01/23/87)

I think that the Macintosh is definately the better computer for MIDI
applications at this time. There is really very little music software
available for the Amiga at this time. In fact, the only programs for
the Amiga that I know of are Yamaha DX and Casio CZ synth patch editor/
librarians, and a sequencer program.

The Mac, on the other hand, has many different types of MIDI applications:

	Patch Librarians/Editors for many (20 or more) different synths
	Sound Editors for most digital samplers
	Additive Synthesis software for Samplers
	Sequencers (both pattern and track oriented)
	Notational software
	SMPTE support
	"Artifically Intelligent" Music Composition and Improvisation Tools

As you can see, this is a pretty comprehensive list. The amiga doesn't even
come close.

One machine that you may be interested in is the Atari ST. Although I am
not a big fan of the machine, it does have a great deal of potential in
the MIDI area. A great deal of software is available for it already (more
than the Amiga), and more products are being introduced every day. What
makes this a good MIDI box is its low cost, speed, and built in MIDI
interface. There is at least one area in which the ST is way ahead of
the Mac: digital sampling and recording. Hybrid Arts is making a very
interesting hardware device for the ST that turns it into a sophisticated
digital sampler. If you add a hard disk, it can turn the ST into a multi-
track digital recorder that rivals the most expensive Sony PCM units.
Unfortunately, this type of hardware will still cost a relatively large
amount of money, when compared to the price of the computer itself.

Despite all this, I still think the Mac is the best machine on the market.
No other machine has such a broad range of music software available. I
could give you specific product recommendations, but this thing is getting
pretty long....

Andrew G. Shebanow
(Just visiting...)

6111231@PUCC.BITNET (Peter Wisnovsky) (01/24/87)

In article <17012@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, shebanow@ji.Berkeley.EDU (Mike Shebanow) writes:

<
<I think that the Macintosh is definately the better computer for MIDI
<applications at this time. There is really very little music software
<available for the Amiga at this time. In fact, the only programs for
<the Amiga that I know of are Yamaha DX and Casio CZ synth patch editor/
<librarians, and a sequencer program.
<
<The Mac, on the other hand, has many different types of MIDI applications:
<
<        Patch Librarians/Editors for many (20 or more) different synths
<        Sound Editors for most digital samplers
<        Additive Synthesis software for Samplers
<        Sequencers (both pattern and track oriented)
<        Notational software
<        SMPTE support
<        "Artifically Intelligent" Music Composition and Improvisation Tools

One other mac goodie: a mac can be easily connected to a LaserWriter or
even a typesetter and produce publication quality sheet music using the
(Adobe, I think) Sonata font: I know you will all hate me for saying this,
but Sonata brings Desktop Publishing (there! I said the DP word! so sue me!) to
music publishing, which in some ways is more revolutionary than what
programs like PageMaker are doing with word processing.

Peter Wisnovsky
Virtual Address:         UUCP: ...ihnp4!psuvax1!6111231@pucc.bitnet

korn@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (01/24/87)

In article <327@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>What I'd like to know is, what is the cost of the AMIGA (and a printer) versus
>the MAC+?  Are they both equally easy to use?  Is one more versatile than the
>other?  How's the support for them?  Is there as much music sotware
>available for the AMIGA as there seem to be for the MAC+?

(posted 'cause I think there's probably a fair amount of interest in this
area)

From talking with friends who own Amigas and use them for MIDI work,
I'd wait a little while longer before getting an Amiga for studio MIDI
work.  The complaints were mostly that the software out there was
still pretty buggy (SoundScape's stuff), or just wasn't powerful enough
(Instant Music, Delux Music Construction Set).

Mac music software is currently a cut above (and a lot more expensive),
though it's not without it's problems.  Professional Composer has
been known to do wierd things when working in 512K of RAM...it also doesn't
handle lyrics as well as one would like.

Also worth checking out are the PC-type machines.  They've been around
for a lot longer, and there actually is a fair amount of MIDI software
available for them (if you can find a computer store that has ever
heard MIDI and PC in the same sentence).  While I haven't worked with
MIDI sofware on the PC personally, I have talked with musicians who
have--their feeling was that the best stuff currently available was
to be found on PC's, though as soon as some of the bugs in Pro. Composer
are fixed the Mac would become top dog.

I'm not familiar with Atari ST MIDI software.  Is there anyone out
there whos actually used an Atari ST for such?  (as opposed to reprinting
marketing crap and wasting our time with hype).

Peter
-----
Peter "Arrgh" Korn		         Hacker?  Me?  A hacker?  No, actually
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU			 I'm a mac-er.  All's we do is
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!korn            make library calls.