[comp.sys.amiga] Mac vs. Amiga vs. ST vs. IBM-PC vs. VAX vs. IBM-3090 vs. CRAY

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike Meyer) (01/24/87)

[More tongue in cheek flamage]

In article <243@gssc.UUCP> jdm@gssc.UUCP (John D. Miller) writes:
>ok, enough of this crap about which is better: the amiga, mac, or atari.
>they're all toys!!

That's MICROtoys to you, BOZO!

>*real* disk drives.  i mean, what good is a little three and a half inch
>jobbie compared to my 12-platter rm-05's?

They're reliable? RM05'S! Gag me with a fork.  I don't even put those
on my network switches. They all get BIG disks. None of this silly
little RM05 stuff.

>i had brought some "real" software over to test this thing - you know, fire up
>a couple makes an troff jobs and see what happens - but it seems that he didn't
>have no nine-track for his little pee-cee.  hrmph.

What's this sillyness about tape drives?  REAL computers don't do IO!
That's what VAXen and other little boxes are for; so they can talk to
the hyperchannel that talks to the I/O processor on real computers.
I/O that happens at less than a hundred megabytes a second just ain't
worth foolin' with for a real computer.

>you can still dial-up to a real computer and do some real work, i suppose,

No, I dial up to bigger toy computers (VAX 8800's, nowadays) and read
mail and occasionally typeset something. REAL computers don't have
dialin lines.

>well, now wait a sec - you can use it as a typewriter.  yeah, that's it. that's
>the ticket.  a $2000 typewriter!!  you're all set!!  i *knew* there was a
>reason you had to have that thing.  add a few bucks more for a cuisenart word
>processor and you've got it!!

Naw, for a typewritter, you need something that's almost worth
noticing. I use an IBM 3090/200 (a Sierra, if ya know what I mean).

> >-- jdm

	"My other computer is a CRAY." (x/mp-14, SN #301, to be exact)
		(It says so, right here on my Amiga!)
	mwm@lynx.berkeley.edu
	Joe Bob Hacker

Just in case it's not obvious: