[comp.sys.amiga] Clueless about printers...

ali@navajo.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (01/20/87)

---

I just saw an ad on a local bboard for a "barely used" EPSON MX80 MT
dot matrix printer for $150. Not knowing much about printers, I have
a couple questions:

Is this compatible with any of the printer drivers in the Amiga (like JX80
or whatever -80 Amiga has a printer driver file for...)?

What *is* the difference between the various prefixes on Epson printer
names? (JX, FX, MX, etc...)

And, finally, the grand question, if I were to want to buy a printer for
my Amiga, and wanted to spent less than, hmm, say $400, what's the "best"
choice? Note that "text" is more important than graphics for me, but
I wold like to be able to print monochrome dot-matrix graphics if possible.

Ali Ozer, ali@navajo.stanford.edu

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (01/21/87)

In article <1323@navajo.STANFORD.EDU>, Ali Ozer (ali@navajo.ARPA) writes:

> . . .

> What *is* the difference between the various prefixes on Epson printer
> names? (JX, FX, MX, etc...)

> . . .

The MX is a text-only printer.  The FX is text and graphics.  The JX is
text and graphics in color.  The number after the dash (e.g., 80, 100,
or whatever) is the print width in tenths of an inch.

You could use an MX-80 for text (choose the FX-80 printer selection in
Preferences), but couldn't print graphics.

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

ee173way@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) (01/22/87)

  I just bought an Epson EX-800 for $500.  It's fast- 300 cps, has 2
excellent NLQ modes, and will do color for an extra $70 (up to 240
dpi).  Configures as an Epson or JX-80 in preferences.
  Check it out, it's worth the extra expense...

  John
  7OHN

hsgj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dan Green) (01/22/87)

In article <1323@navajo.STANFORD.EDU> ali@navajo.ARPA (Ali Ozer) writes:
>And, finally, the grand question, if I were to want to buy a printer for
>my Amiga, and wanted to spent less than, hmm, say $400, what's the "best"
>choice? Note that "text" is more important than graphics for me, but
>I wold like to be able to print monochrome dot-matrix graphics if possible.
>
>Ali Ozer, ali@navajo.stanford.edu

   I wound up buying a "SEIKOSHA SP-1000A" printer for my Amiga.  Never
heard of it, eh?  Well it is a $250 printer that is pretty robust and
has been working since I bought it 3 months ago.  It emulates an Epson;
at least using the plain Epson entry on Preferences it works fine.  Some
features:
1. Comprehensive 88 page manual with examples
2. ONLINE, NLQ, FORM FEED, LINE FEED switches on console
3. Power, Paper Out, Online, NLQ lamps on console
4. Proportional, Condensed, High Quality (NLQ), Double Strike printing
5. Super Script, Sub Script printing
6. Bold, Elite, Pica buit-in fonts.
7. 2K Buffer
8. Dip Switches for language, paper empty, zero character, page length
9. Dips for cr/lf, skip-over-pref, italic, downloadable chars.
10. 100% Compatible with Epson:
    A.  Notepad can print out fonts on it
    B.  GraphicDump (V1.2) works.

As you may guess, I am quite satisfied with it.  It also came with its
own Printer->Amiga cable.  No software is necessary to get it running.

I have no connection with Seikosha Co. Ltd.
-- Dan Green

--
ARPA:  hsgj%vax2.ccs.cornell.edu@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
UUCP:  ihnp4!cornell!batcomputer!hsgj   BITNET:  hsgj@cornella

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike Meyer) (01/22/87)

In article <4172@videovax.Tek.COM> stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
>You could use an MX-80 for text (choose the FX-80 printer selection in
>Preferences), but couldn't print graphics.

Sorry, but not true. The MX-80 did black&white graphics quite nicely,
thank you. 218 dpi vertically by 17? horizontally, if I remember
correctly.

Of course, there were two versions of the MX-80; the original had
scummy graphics, you could add the Graftrax option to get much better
graphics. The MX-100 did had a slightly different graphics command set
than the MX-80/Graftrax. This command set later became standard on the
MX-80, and you couldn't get the Graftrax version anymore (a minor
loose).  So there are at least THREE different flavors of MX-80. All
of them supported a "8 bit wide graphics slice" mode, similar to that
found on the newer printers.

The FX-80 has a graphics command set similar to the MX-80, but with
some restrictions removed. If the "Epson" driver is for that, it'll
give the MX-80 fits. You couldn't use that driver to do graphics.

	"There was something GROWING in your MX-80!"
	<mike

P.S. - all data in this article dates from the time that Epson
introduced the MX-100, and could well have suffered from neuron rot.

cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) (01/22/87)

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
*>
*> The MX is a text-only printer.  The FX is text and graphics.  The JX is
*> text and graphics in color.  The number after the dash (e.g., 80, 100,
*> or whatever) is the print width in tenths of an inch.
*>
*> You could use an MX-80 for text (choose the FX-80 printer selection in
*> Preferences), but couldn't print graphics.
*> 					Steve Rice

Hmm, I have an FX-286 hooked up to my Amiga and it sure ain't 28.6" wide!
The only consistency I have been able to find with Epson printers
(besides most of their escape codes) are that all print on paper.
Remember there is also the LX, DX, LQ, EX series as well.

--
--Chuck McManis

afo@s.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (01/23/87)

In article <4172@videovax.Tek.COM> stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) writes:
>The MX is a text-only printer.  The FX is text and graphics.  The JX is
> . . .
>You could use an MX-80 for text (choose the FX-80 printer selection in
>Preferences), but couldn't print graphics.

Uhh, excuse me Stever, but I have an MX100 and I have always been able
to print graphics.  The key here is that the MX series is text-only
unless the printer is equipped with GRAFTRAX(tm) ROMs which allow
graphics equal to the quality of their other printers.  As a matter of
fact, GRAFTRAX is included in all Epson printers now as standard
goodies. Also, most MX printers had GRAFTRAX installed also. They just
costed a little more.  The newer MX models had GRAFTRAX III installed.
This came out about a year before they released the RX series and
allowed italics, super/subscript, underlining and all of those other
neat little features we have grown to expect as standard.  Anyone who
has an MX but does not have GRAFTRAX can upgrade by installing the ROMs
(3 I believe) for ~$70.

PPPPPPPPP	Alan Davis
PPPPPPPPPP      Purdue University Computing Center
  PP     PP
  PP     PP     Usenet: {backbone}!pur-ee!s.cc.purdue.edu!afo
  PPPPPPPP      BITNET: ADAVIS@PURCCVM
  PPPPPPP
  PP
  PP            Disclaimer: I don't agree with Purdue's opinions,
PPPPPP                      they don't agree with mine.
PPPPPP

eve@ssc-vax.UUCP (01/23/87)

> > What *is* the difference between the various prefixes on Epson printer
> > names? (JX, FX, MX, etc...)
> The MX is a text-only printer...
>
> You could use an MX-80 for text (choose the FX-80 printer selection in
> Preferences), but couldn't print graphics.

The MX-80 models can do graphics if they have the appropriate ROM.
The first, early models were shipped with text-only ROMS; many(all?) of
the later models had graphics ROMs standard.  I know; I upgraded my
early MX-80 to graphics with the GRAPHPLUS ROM.

The FX is a newer model than the MX.

stever@videovax.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <43@s.cc.purdue.edu>, Alan Davis (afo@s.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP)
writes:

> . . .

> Uhh, excuse me Stever, but I have an MX100 and I have always been able
> to print graphics.  The key here is that the MX series is text-only
> unless the printer is equipped with GRAFTRAX(tm) ROMs which allow
> graphics equal to the quality of their other printers.  As a matter of
> fact, GRAFTRAX is included in all Epson printers now as standard
> goodies.  . . .

Must be a sign of advanced age (mine!).  We had an MX-100 here two or
three years ago that had no graphics capability.  At that time we were
told that to get graphics, we had to buy an FX-whatever.  (We bought
a VAX and a LaserWriter, instead. . .)

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

inews > 50 % filler
  inews > 50 % filler
    inews > 50 % filler
      inews > 50 % filler