[comp.sys.amiga] ASDG Ram Disk

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (01/24/87)

	First off I would like to commend Perry for writing and now posting
this extremely useful peice of software!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

	A few helpful hints in installing it:

- the commands	'mount vd0:' and
		'dir > nil: vd0:' (or some other reference to vd0:)
  MUST BE THE FIRST TWO COMMANDS IN YOUR STARTUP-SEQUENCE ELSE YOU MAY
  TRASH RAM AND THUS THE RRD (Recoverable Ram Disk).

- as Perry mentioned, 'asdg.vdisk.device' and 'Mountlist' MUST be in
  devs:.

- I have downloaded and tested ALL of the programs that came with the
  posting and it appears that 'DeleteRamDisk' did not make it correctly.
  I spoke with Perry and it appears that the file is 2 bytes short.
  Here is a list of files and sizes:

	CleanRamDisk.Info	 674
	CleanRamDisk		3808
	DeleteRamDisk.Info	 482
	DeleteRamDisk		4176 (mine is 4174 so it doesn't work)
	FastMem.Info		 274
	FastMem			2240
	SysMon.Info		 302
	SysMon			7896
	Mountlist		4572
	asdg.vdisk.device	6040

- don't forget to read the Mountlist for instructions on how to configure
  the rrd.

Problem: As I said before everything works fine...until I try and boot
workbench (I normal run under cli).  As soon as I do a 'loadwb' the
system crashes.  I suspect that this may be due to the Micro Forge
device driver as I run with a 20 meg drive.  Does anyone else out there
have a MicroForge drive who has the rrd and workbench working?  I should
point out that I spoke with Perry and he informed me that this is the
first reported problem with the rrd as it works fine with all other
hard disks.

	I for one am going to send Perry the $10.00 he requests in the
docs.  As far as I'm concrened it's worth a heck of a lot more than that.
So if you end up using his software why not do the same?  It will help
to promote this type of software.
--
David Berezowski	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveb

Disclaimer: I work for myself, so my words must be my own.
            (You may borrow them if you like)

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (01/25/87)

	Yes, I also would like to thank Perry for posting the rrd.  All the
pertainent stuff worked without a hitch. (DeleteRamDisk didn't work).

					-Matt

mark@unisec.UUCP (01/25/87)

This is just a quickie to thank a few folks for some outstanding Amiga
contributions:

	1. To the MicroEMACS folks for my favorite text editor.  I'm
	   currently working on the conversion of a large simulation
	   program (for the Amiga, anyway; 150k executable and growing).
	   The ability to edit multiple files concurrently is a godsend
	   and being able to customize my editing keys is icing on the
	   cake.

	2. To Captain Crunch and his gang for EGAD!.  Though the above-
	   mentioned project hasn't allowed me to use this tool in any-
	   thing but 'play' mode, it definitely will be useful when I
	   start to add the bells and whistles.

	3. To Perry for his recent ASDG recoverable ram disk.  Neat
	   trick!  Now I'm going to have to go out and buy some expansion
	   memory so I can use it :-) .  I'll be writing for literature...

	4. To Matt and Mike for the shells (Hey! I can hear the ocean!).

	5. To all the good folks at CBM and on the net for their comments,
	   tips, programming examples and just plain making me feel like
	   I belong to a group that's trying to do "something good".
	   I LOVE MY AMIGA!

     I, like many others, I suspect, am a "quiet participant".  That is,
I do lots of listening but seldom make a public posting, though I usually
respond via email if I think I have something to offer (thank God not all
net users are as reticent as myself!).  Anyway, I just wanted to post a
note of gratitude from the "quiet sector".  Thank you very much!

Mark Rinfret

spencer@eris.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <411@unisec.USI.COM> mark@unisec.USI.COM (Mark Rinfret) writes:
>This is just a quickie to thank a few folks for some outstanding Amiga
>contributions:
>
>	1. To the MicroEMACS folks for my favorite text editor.
>
>	2. To Captain Crunch and his gang for EGAD!.
>
>	3. To Perry for his recent ASDG recoverable ram disk.
>
>	4. To Matt and Mike for the shells (Hey! I can hear the ocean!).
>
>	5. To all the good folks at CBM and on the net for their comments,
>	   tips, programming examples and just plain making me feel like
>	   I belong to a group that's trying to do "something good".
>	   I LOVE MY AMIGA!
>
>Mark Rinfret

        6. To DBW, aka Dave Wecker for single handedly filling my entire
           workbench c: directory (well, he had help on VT100).

        7. To the folks at the Software Distillery for PopCLI and Kermit.
           (I use Kermit whenever VT100 just ain't enough).  Blink is
           nice too.

        8. FRED FISH.  For somehow opening up the largest PD/Stuff soft-
           ware distribution on any computer.  When does this guy sleep?

  Who would have thought when I bought my Amiga that I wouldn't have to
  go out and buy any software for it.  One good C compiler and I am set!

        9. I left the best for last, I have to thank Leo Schwab for Oing!
           Possibly _the_ most popular demo to run on the Amiga.

I am sure that I am not the only one that will follow up that message with
his/her most popular programmers listed, I know that everyone on this net
knows all this stuff already.  I was thinking of posting to net.atariST
where it might do some good... Nah! that wouldn't be such a good idea.

PS. to the man who pointed out that I can't spell Tektronics, can you
spell dislexia?  (anybody writting a spell checker that hangs off
the input.device?)
Randy Spencer P.O. Box 4542 Berkeley CA 94704 (415)284-4740 C#(415)283-5469
                         I N F I N I T Y          spencer%eris@berkeley.edu
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .      spencer@USCVAXQ.bitnet
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. . ....ucbvax!eris!spencer
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..
                         s o f t w a r e