[comp.sys.amiga] Zipper 2400 modem woes

dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) (01/23/87)

I receieved my order of a Zipper 2400 modem from Priority One yesterday.
The Zipper is a relabeled Prometheous 2400G for $299.

I notice alot of noise, and especially noticed when in mail a ~r
appeared and caused an error, and couldn't help but make me think
about whether I was really safe using it while doing sensitive
commands.

Of course I could have had a bad line and will further test it. Anyone else
have anything to say about these suckers?

The other thing is I'm using a normal 3 (or 4?) wire serial cable. Is there
any reason to get any kind of special cable for the amiga?

Are there any better modems around at a reasonable price that are more
reliable?

--
#include <std-disclaimer.h>
Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee mmm

bobb@tekfdi.UUCP (01/24/87)

In article <1639@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) writes:

[With regard to a  Zipper 2400-baud modem]

>I notice alot of noise, and especially noticed when in mail a ~r
>appeared and caused an error, and couldn't help but make me think
>about whether I was really safe using it while doing sensitive
>commands.

I use a Signalman Mark XII modem (1200 baud), and the "~r" is my most common
symptom of a bad connection. Dialing in again once or twice usually fixes it.
I changed modems at about the same time as we got new computer hardware, so I
don't know what is at fault.

   Bob Bales
   Tektronix, Inc.

dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (01/25/87)

in article <736@tekfdi.UUCP>, bobb@tekfdi.UUCP (Robert Bales) says:

> In article <1639@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) writes:
>
> [With regard to a  Zipper 2400-baud modem]
>
>>I notice alot of noise, and especially noticed when in mail a ~r
>>appeared and caused an error, and couldn't help but make me think
>>about whether I was really safe using it while doing sensitive
>>commands.
>
> I use a Signalman Mark XII modem (1200 baud), and the "~r" is my most common
> symptom of a bad connection. Dialing in again once or twice usually fixes it.
> I changed modems at about the same time as we got new computer hardware, so I
> don't know what is at fault.

I have (since day 1 when I got all the noise) had little trouble with the unit.
Must be the lines or something....

--
#include <std-disclaimer.h>
Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee mmm
Internet: dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp:  uwvax!uwmcsd1!dave        {o,o}
Csnet:	  dave%uwmcsd1@uwm	   Phone: +1 (414) 963-5133          \u/

walton@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (01/26/87)

Over on the WELL, there has been much discussion in the telecommunications
conference about modem line noise.  Many people have gotten relief by
going to their nearest AT&T Phone Mart and buying an RF filter.  This little
widget plugs into your wall phone jack, your modem plugs into the filter.
Costs about $6, if I remember correctly.
    DISCLAIMER:  I have no connection with AT&T except as a satisfied
customer of their long distance phone service.

papa@bacall.UUCP (01/27/87)

Dave Rasmussen writes:

> I receieved my order of a Zipper 2400 modem from Priority One yesterday.
> The Zipper is a relabeled Prometheous 2400G for $299.
>
> I notice alot of noise, and especially noticed when in mail a ~r
> appeared and caused an error, and couldn't help but make me think
> about whether I was really safe using it while doing sensitive
> commands.

The ~r or ~{ is definetely noise. It could be the line or the sensitivity
of the modem (or both).

> Of course I could have had a bad line and will further test it. Anyone else
> have anything to say about these suckers?
>
> The other thing is I'm using a normal 3 (or 4?) wire serial cable. Is there
> any reason to get any kind of special cable for the amiga?

The only important thing is that you do NOT connect some of the pins
that have power (pins 14, 21 and 23), or you might fry your modem.
Usually connecting pins 2,3,5,5,6,7,8 and 20 straight through works.
Many times the 3 pin arrangement (2,3,7) also works.  If the software
looks for CD (Carrier Detect) you must have pin 8 connected and set your
modem such that it asserts CD when REALLY carrier has been detected (I
believe Online needs this; in A-Talk it is user selectable)

> Are there any better modems around at a reasonable price that are more
> reliable?

I recently bought the BT2400ES External Hayes-compatible 2400 baud modem
from QUBIE'.  You might have seen their ads in PC Magazine and other PC
publications.  The price was great: $239! I have tested the Prometheus,
The Zipper and they seem very unreliable compared to the Qubie'.  I have owned
a 1200 baud external modem also from Qubie for about 3 years now (I paid
$329 at the time, sigh), and I have NEVER had any problem with Comm programs
running on either IBM PCs or the Amiga.  The BT2400ES seems to be TOTALLY
compatible with the Hayes 2400 baud modem (both in synchronous and
Asynchronous mode).  In fact, it seems that lines are actually BETTER at
2400 baud than at 1200 (I guess the modulation type is more advanced).

All in all I am very satisfied customer.  You can get the Qubie' from:

Qubie'
507 Calle San Paolo
Camarillo, CA 93010
(805)987-9741

They also have an 800 toll free number, but I don't have it handy. Look in
any issue of PC Magazine for it.

-- Marco Papa
   Felsina Software