[comp.sys.amiga] more re: Mimetics, Pro MIDI Studio, and _Copy Protection_

spencer@eris.UUCP (01/29/87)

In article <401@vaxine.UUCP> nw@vaxine.UUCP (Neil Webber) writes:
>In article <398@vaxine.UUCP>, nw@vaxine.UUCP (that's me) flames
>mildly about Soundscape Pro MIDI Studio (PMS) being copy protected.
>To which, Jeffrey Clesius has replied:
>>
>> Do people have a choice?  Maybe.  Look at DPaint.  Are there enough of us to
>> pressure Mimetics?  I doubt it.
>>

>I say we certainly do have a choice.  My Lattice C compiler costs about
>the same as Mimetic's Pro MIDI Studio, is much more attractive to software
>pirates (much larger audience), and is not copy protected.  Why?  Because
>no one would buy a C compiler which is copy protected.  Could you imagine
>having to insert a "key disk" every time you wanted to compile something?
>(or, worse yet, having to type in some particular word from the manual?)
>
>When it comes to copy protection, we have a choice: just say NO.
>
>Neil Webber     Automatix Inc (or current resident)     Billerica MA
>                        {decvax,allegra}!encore!vaxine!nw

Maybe, but I am sometimes amazed at what gets protected.  Have you seen
Marauder II.  I do not pirate software, nor do I buy software, I just
spend my time giving thanks to all the PD writers out there.  (Maybe it
takes someone like me to want to be the users group's Librarian)  So I
am waiting frantically for Marauder II to come out.  I can finally make
lots and lots of copies of Fish disks just by using my many external drives.
Finally it arrives at a friends.  We played with it one night, and the
next day we went to our users group and used it.  That copy protection is
a pain in the ass!  (oops, can I say that?)

Here is a product that makes more pirating possible and I can't use it
unless I bring my _only_ copy of the non-xerox blue totally useless
manual with me to lose at the meeting so that I can't use it later.

Well, I went back to copperstate QuickCopy (the PD one).  It is fast and
copies without breaking copy protection (which I don't care about anyway)
and doesn't have the audasity to ask for a password first after requiring
me to reboot my machine to run that program only, and taking over my
drives so I can't see the title of the disk I want to copy on a drive not
involved in the copy process.

My Marauder II arrived in the next couple of days and I haven't yet
opened it.  Piracy protection is just toooo much of a hassle.  Even
the game my company publishes annoyes me with that protection.  But I
never understood buying games any way.

Here's to the days when the software industry makes so much money that
they can charge me $12.00 for a product that is not copy protected.
Too bad all this garbage is now sinking over to the Audio industry,
love those copy protected Digital Audio Tapes (DATs).

Ugh, grumble, smurff......
Randy Spencer P.O. Box 4542 Berkeley CA 94704 (415)284-4740 C#(415)283-5469
                         I N F I N I T Y          spencer%eris@berkeley.edu
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .      spencer@USCVAXQ.bitnet
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. . ....ucbvax!eris!spencer
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..
                         s o f t w a r e