[comp.sys.amiga] Shellv2.05 trashing disk?

reh@rayssd.UUCP (01/27/87)

	I recently installed Steve Drew's ShellV2.05 on my system.
After using it for most of the night I rebooted my system one last time
and got a "not a DOS disk message".  This was like deja vu having had a
disk trashed with the shell V2.03.  After running diskdoctor I was told
that track 40, sector 0 was bad.  This software is great but what a price.
I am backing out to V2.04 and hoping the problem doesn't exist there and
just hasn't manifested itself yet.

	Anyone else seen this?

		        Robert E. Hathaway
       			Raytheon Submarine Signal Division
       			1847 West Main Road,  Mail Stop 188
       			Portsmouth, RI  02871-1087  (401) 847-8000 (X4013)
       			{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus} rayssd!reh

fdfishman@watcgl.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <595@rayssd.RAY.COM> reh@rayssd.UUCP writes:

>	I recently installed Steve Drew's ShellV2.05 on my system.
>and got a "not a DOS disk message".  This was like deja vu having had a
>After running diskdoctor I was told that track 40, sector 0 was bad.
>This software is great but what a price.
>
>	Anyone else seen this?
>
>		        Robert E. Hathaway

I am having the same problem but I thought it was the diskdrive.  So I
was doing all my read and writing in the internal drive with no problems.
But sure enough, after reading this message I looked over at the AMIGA
and saw READ/WRITE, man I am glad I saw this message before the read write
error, or I would have physically harmed the machine.
I do have a slightly different death and that is my error is on track 40
sector 1 and I even saw one on track 41

      FDFISHMAN (Flynn D. Fishman) @ WATCGL

UUCP  :	...!{decvax|ihnp4|clyde|allegra|utzoo}!watmath!watcgl!fdfishman
ARPA  :	fdfishman%watcgl%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
CSNET :	fdfishman%watcgl@waterloo.csnet
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
This Cutsie saying space left intentionally left blank until such a time as
   1) The above mentioned user can think of a cutsie saying
   2) The above mentioned user with the aid of some friends can think of a
      cutsie saying.
or 3) Sufficient time has passed such that plagerism of someone else's cutsie
      saying would not be noticed by many.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

walton@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (01/29/87)

In article <595@rayssd.RAY.COM> reh@rayssd.RAY.COM (Robert E. Hathaway) writes:

>	I recently installed Steve Drew's ShellV2.05 on my system.
>After using it for most of the night I rebooted my system one last time
>and got a "not a DOS disk message".  This was like deja vu having had a
>disk trashed with the shell V2.03.  After running diskdoctor I was told
>that track 40, sector 0 was bad.  This software is great but what a price.
>I am backing out to V2.04 and hoping the problem doesn't exist there and
>just hasn't manifested itself yet.

   Sounds like an old bug got mistakenly re-introduced.  To do the command
line editing, Drew's shell sets the console to RAW mode when taking input,
then back to CON mode while a command is running so as to get typeahead
capability.  But when he used WaitForInput(file-handle, 1L) to get the
typeahead after completion of the command, he got disk trashing.  Setting
the timeout on WaitForInput to any value other than 1L (2L or more) fixed
the problem.  A quick look at the source for Shell 2.05 shows at least one
WaitForInput() call with 1L as the timeout, in main().  Change it to 2L
and see if it fixes the problem.