[comp.sys.amiga] ASDG-RAM does not survive reboots

rbw@lanl.UUCP (01/29/87)

Thanks to Perry for the ASDG-RAM disk software.  This has been on my
most-needed list for some time.  I think it downloaded here correctly,
but I am having trouble getting it to work consistently.  As soon as
I get my problem fixed, the $10 is yours.

I cannot get the ASDG-RAM to consistently survive voluntary reboots.
I do not know if it will survive a guru or a hung machine for me.  I
am running V1.2 KickStart and WB (33.47) with 512K chip and 2M fast
(Pacific Cypress) memory.  I have set HighCyl=(anything odd from 63
to 241).  All the proper files seem to be in the proper places, or it
would never work.  My Startup-Sequence file begins with
	   (a)             or             (b)
	MOUNT VD0:                     MOUNT VD0:
	CD VD0:                        CD VD0:
	INFO                           WAIT 4 SECS
				       INFO
The remainder of the startup-sequence creates vd0:c and copies c: to it,
followed by the usual kinds of Workbench things.  When the disk
survives, info shows data in the disk from the past;  when the disk
fails to survive, in case (a) above, info says the disk is being
validated, and in case (b) above, it says that the disk exists (empty)
with 2K of data stored in it.

The inconsistent survivability of the disk seems to be independent of
the exact command used on line 2 of the startup-sequence;  I have
tried CD VD0:, DIR > NIL: VD0:, and IF EXISTS VD0:C, in addition to
others.  Survivability seems to be independent of the size of the disk,
from 63 to 241 cylinders.  It seems to be independent of the size of
the Startup-Sequence file (< or > than 512 bytes).

As a test, I often reboot immediately after completing a boot sequence.
I have no reason to expect that the data in the ram disk has been
corrupted prior to rebooting, so I assume something in the startup
activity must be trashing some critical locations in fast ram.  Is this
possible?  If so, can I do anythingnything to prevent it?  Any advice
would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Walker (rbw%a@lanl.arpa)
Group T-12
Los Alamos National Laboratory

perry@well.UUCP (01/31/87)

In article <12068@lanl.ARPA>, rbw@lanl.ARPA (Bob Walker) writes:
> Thanks to Perry for the ASDG-RAM disk software.  This has been on my
> most-needed list for some time.  I think it downloaded here correctly,
> but I am having trouble getting it to work consistently.  As soon as
> I get my problem fixed, the $10 is yours.
>
> I cannot get the ASDG-RAM to consistently survive voluntary reboots.
> I do not know if it will survive a guru or a hung machine for me.  I
> am running V1.2 KickStart and WB (33.47) with 512K chip and 2M fast
> (Pacific Cypress) memory.  I have set HighCyl=(anything odd from 63
> to 241).  All the proper files seem to be in the proper places, or it
> would never work.  My Startup-Sequence file begins with

I think the subject line by Bob is uncalled for.

(1)	The ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk has  been  in  use for over four months
	by all ASDG customers. This is a  commercial quality product not some
	crock posted for a quick buck.

	If thirty people already posted comments praising how well the usenet
	version works, how can some  people claim ``the asdg ram disk doesn't
	work''?

	Please check  that you have downloaded the code properly using binary
	file transfer protocols  if  you  uudecode  on  a unix machine before
	downloading.

	Please adhere to the guidelines on  how to install the ram disk. They
	are there for a reason.

(2)	Bob, call Pacific Cypress and ask  them  if  they continue to refresh
	their ram when the  Amiga  is  reset, or if any spikes occur on their
	board during resets. I suspect this is your problem.

	Anyone else with Pacific Cypress products experience these troubles?

	What might be   happening  is if the Pacific  Cypress  board does not
	refresh the dram   array   when  rests  occur,   the  bits are simply
	dribbling away during some resets and not  during  others (some reset
	sequences might last longer than others).

	Or, maybe the  Pacific  Cypress board may act irrationally during re-
	sets (some chips coming up in undefined states).

	Or Bob, maybe you could go into more detail (in private email) about
	what you're doing?

Perry S. Kivolowitz
ASDG Incorporated