[comp.sys.amiga] Multi-User with the amiga

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (02/04/87)

> I would like to know if the Amiga can be used as a Multi-user system.  If
> so what Equiptment do i need and What data base program can i use.
>  Thank You.
>  Jared A McNeal
>  Columbus Ohio

	Theoretically, there is no problem.  Practically, it's
infeasible... (assuming your talking about a generalized interface for
each user).  I can tick off three reasons off the top of my head which
apply to ANY micro:
	-Lack of I/O bandwidth
	-Lack of Processing Power
	-Lack of memory protection (applies only to programming enviroment)
	-Filesystem not optimized for multiple process file access.

	-Multiple CRT's is impossible, and thus a multi-user interface would
	 have to be run over multiple serial ports, with only one user able
	 to use the screen and mouse

	Unfortunetly, the rest of your question is too vague to give a proper
answer, and even if you were more specific, I doubt anybody would be able
to come up with an exact answer.

			-Matt

cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (02/04/87)

In a recent article, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
> [ Replying to Jared's question about running an Amiga multiuser ]
>
> 	Theoretically, there is no problem.  Practically, it's
> infeasible... (assuming your talking about a generalized interface for
> each user).  I can tick off three reasons off the top of my head which
> apply to ANY micro:
> 	-Lack of I/O bandwidth

Certainly there is a lack of I/O bandwidth to do two intuition interfaces
however there is no problem with serial port access.

> 	-Lack of Processing Power

I have run multiuser on a Z80, not that it was much fun, however... The
above means is will get slow at times.

> 	-Lack of memory protection (applies only to programming enviroment)

You run into the exact same problems here as you do when running multiple
tasks. Well behaved ones don't interfere, some do.

> 	-Filesystem not optimized for multiple process file access.

Whoa! The filesystem *was* optimized for multiple process file access, thats
why you have to lock a file before writing to it, etc. When running multiple
tasks or users this prevents files from getting corrupted. What the file
system isn't is fast.

> 	-Multiple CRT's is impossible, and thus a multi-user interface would
> 	 have to be run over multiple serial ports, with only one user able
> 	 to use the screen and mouse

Yup, this would be impossible. But you can run programs over the serial
port. And since the CLI interface makes no use of menus or the mouse you
don't lose there. What you do lose is a simple way to throw the window
behind and stuff like that.

> 	Unfortunately, the rest of your question is too vague to give a proper
> answer, and even if you were more specific, I doubt anybody would be able
> to come up with an exact answer.
> 			-Matt

The reference to "What data base program can i use." in Jared's question
was incredibly nondeterministic. I think with the following caveats
	- It will be slow
	- #define Multiple  Two  /* Thats MAXUSERS = 2 */
	- One person lives in a serial/tty world
	- Other person doesn't hit Ctrl-Ah-Ah :-)
	- You don't try to do new code testing (writing/compiling is ok)
	- You have at least 1M preferably 2.5M of memory
	- You have a CLI that talks to the serial port
You can run multiple users.

--
--Chuck McManis