[comp.sys.amiga] ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk News

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (01/22/87)

I plan to work on creating uuencoded shar files for the ASDG Recoverable Ram
Disk  tonight. This  means the net might see a posting before Friday of this
week.

What Is The ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk?

It is an AmigaDOS device driver which implements a completely DOS compatible
(unlike ram:)  disk device in  memory. Unlike ram:, the ASDG recoverable ram
disk survives resets, guru's, and crashes. That  is,  after the guru visits,
one simply reboots to find the full contents of the ram disk still in tact.

Is The ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk Tied To ASDG Hardware?

It was since its first  shipping  in August of 1986. However, I have removed
dependencies on the ASDG  hardware (which amounted only to looking at serial
numbers) for the public version.

Will The ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk Work With Anyone's Hardware?

It should, unless the memory board designer was totally inept and caused the
ram to become mashed when system resets take place.

Will The ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk Work With NO Fast Ram At All?

Yes. I put in this feature knowing  that a lot of people don't have fast ram
expansion boards yet but could still benefit from a recoverable ram disk.

Is The ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk In The Public Domain?

NOOOOOO. It is not. ASDG Incorporated retains all rights to the software. We
are specifically not releasing it  to the public domain so that we may main-
tain at least some legally enforcable  control over who may and may not dis-
tribute this product.

Who Can Distribute This Product?

	(1)	Networks and BBS's run by non-vending entities.
	(2)	User Groups (for non-profit benefit).
	(3)	Fred Fish (he...and he alone).

Who Cannot Distribute This Product?

	(1)	No vendor or hardware or software may distribute this
		product under any guise or pretense. Especially you Ed.
	(2)	People who repackage Fred Fish's work for a quick buck.

Does The ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk Cost Anything?

	We'd appreciate a payment of 10 bucks sent to ASDG. This is optional,
of course, but if the product saves  hours  of your work that would have been
lost due to a guru, don't you think 10 bucks is a small price to part with?

	Sending a  payment to ASDG also will make you registered owner of the
Recoverable Ram Disk  which  means  we'll  answer your questions and keep you
informed about new releases of  the  recoverable  ram disk and other software
and hardware products.

	People say the  shareware  concept is dead. I'm betting a substantial
product that it isn't. Keep Shareware alive. If you find  the recoverable ram
disk a life saver (and you probably will), send a donation.

Why Is ASDG Doing This?

	Several reasons:

	(1)	I promised  I would (to  people  on  the Well) when I was
		developing the recoverable ram disk.
	(2)	I am a big  believer  in user  supported software (anyone
		remember Scrimper, SSV, Balls and a lot of other programs
		I've contributed to the public).
	(3)	It'll demonstrate that  ASDG  is  the only hardware house
		in the Amiga market with  a  bona-fide software expertise
		in house. Good hardware is good to have. But...good hard-
		ware with good software is *great* to have.

Sorry to be so  long but...watch comp.sys.amiga for the recoverable ram
disk posting.

Perry S. Kivolowitz
  ASDG Incorporated

chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) (01/24/87)

In article <2445@well.UUCP> perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
>Who Can Distribute This Product?
>
>	(1)	Networks and BBS's run by non-vending entities.
>	(2)	User Groups (for non-profit benefit).
>	(3)	Fred Fish (he...and he alone).
>
>Who Cannot Distribute This Product?
>
>	(1)	No vendor or hardware or software may distribute this
>		product under any guise or pretense. Especially you Ed.
>	(2)	People who repackage Fred Fish's work for a quick buck.

The way I read these rules, Fred is allowed to place the program one one
of his disks, but my dealer is not allowed to let me make a copy of that
disk, even if they don't charge me anything (a dealer is a "vendor", nyet?).

Is this your intent?

Note: I look forward to getting this thing, and I applaud you for releasing
it (I was gonna get it when I got your new 8Meg board, but so much the better
to have it now); I'm just curious about how you plan to distribute this
thing.  If your redistribution conditions are more restrictive than Fred's
(as demonstrated above), he may be understandably unwilling to place it on
one of his collection disks.

Brent
--
Brent Chapman

chapman@eris.berkeley.edu	or	ucbvax!eris!chapman

spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) (01/24/87)

In article <2322@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) writes:
>In article <2445@well.UUCP> perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
>>Who Can Distribute This Product?
>>
>>	(1)	Networks and BBS's run by non-vending entities.
>>	(2)	User Groups (for non-profit benefit).
>>	(3)	Fred Fish (he...and he alone).
>>
>Note: I look forward to getting this thing, and I applaud you for releasing
>it (I was gonna get it when I got your new 8Meg board, but so much the better
>to have it now);

I was hoping to be the first to comment on this, but I am just too slow.
Well, here is the official list of non-working programs to reach this node.

Cleanramdisk            works
Cleanramdisk.info       don't
Deleteramdisk           don't
Deleteramdisk.info      don't
Sysmon                  don't
Sysmon.info             works
Fastmem                 works
Fastmem.info            works
asdg.vdisk.device       don't  (I think) (hard to tell)

And all the stuff that wasn't uuencoded is the same.  What makes me think I
am right and the posting was bad?  Well, all the stuff that does work.  The
icons that *are* pictures right next to icons that don't appear.  The way
that cleanramdisk brings up a window saying can't find "asdg.vdisk.device"
and the other executables say "not an object module".  I used the same
uudecode on them all and moved them with one kermit file transfer.  And
of course sh never complained about checksum errors.

Well, I hope that there is a repost this weekend, I have a users group
meeting Monday, what a scoop for my users group.

I don't mean to not thank Perry for his great (I hope) rrdisk, I will when
I get my hands on a working copy.

Makes sense to me!
Randy Spencer P.O. Box 4542 Berkeley CA 94704 (415)284-4740 C#(415)283-5469
                         I N F I N I T Y          spencer%eris@berkeley.edu
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .      spencer@USCVAXQ.bitnet
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. . ....ucbvax!eris!spencer
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..
                         s o f t w a r e

g-cheng@gumby.UUCP (01/27/87)

In article <2445@well.UUCP>, perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
> I plan to work on creating uuencoded shar files for the ASDG Recoverable Ram
> Disk  tonight. This  means the net might see a posting before Friday of this
> week.

This is really great !!!!!!!

> What Is The ASDG Recoverable Ram Disk?
>
> It is an AmigaDOS device driver which implements a completely DOS compatible
> (unlike ram:)  disk device in  memory. Unlike ram:, the ASDG recoverable ram
> disk survives resets, guru's, and crashes. That  is,  after the guru visits,
> one simply reboots to find the full contents of the ram disk still in tact.

Some questions about a recoverable ram disk that survives crashes though.
Assuming that before a program crashed, it wrote to the ram area
occupied by the ram disk. What consequences would this have on the
ram disk itself after the guru? Unless the ram memory has been
write protected, wouldn't this result in inconsisten ram disk data?

> Perry S. Kivolowitz
>   ASDG Incorporated

Chin-Long Cheng
UW Madison

kaz@cadovax.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <2323@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
>In article <2322@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> chapman@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) writes:
> (discussion about recoverable ram disk recently posted)
>
>Well, here is the official list of non-working programs to reach this node.
> .....(list of files that worked and didn't work)
>
>.....and the other executables say "not an object module".
>I used the same
>uudecode on them all and moved them with one kermit file transfer.  And
>of course sh never complained about checksum errors.
>Randy Spencer P.O. Box 4542 Berkeley CA 94704 (415)284-4740 C#(415)283-5469

Just thought you would like to know that I experienced the same failures
when I downloaded with Kermit.  Since I am new to this stuff,
(uudecode kermit etc) I thought it might have been my error.

Well, last night I used Xmodem to download and then I CHOPed to size.
All the programs I tested that previously failed ("not an object module")
now work.

Is this the fault of kermit or what?

Regards,
Kerry Zimmerman
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!kaz
#  cadovax!kaz@ucla-locus.arpa

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (01/28/87)

spencer@eris says:
>I was hoping to be the first to comment on this, but I am just too slow.
>Well, here is the official list of non-working programs to reach this node.
>
>Cleanramdisk            works
>Cleanramdisk.info       don't
>...etc...
>I used the same
>uudecode on them all and moved them with one kermit file transfer.  And
>of course sh never complained about checksum errors.

    i had trouble downloading asdg.vdisk.device from the vax to my amiga.
i used c-kermit on the vax end, and i tried both vt100 and akermit on amy.
i made repeated efforts, making sure i had binary/image mode emabled on
both kermit's.  i always got complaint-free transfers, but the result was
always a munged file!  i don't know why kermit was failing, and it makes me
nervous about kermit in general.  ultimately, i noticed that the corruption
was starting at the same place in the file each time, so i used "dd" to chop
it at that point, downloaded the pieces seperately, and used "join" to
reconstruct.
   in the case of deleteramdisk, after the initial uudecode, the file
looked like:

	000003f3	hunk_header
	00000000	no name
	00000003	3 hunks,
	00000000 	numbered 0,
	00000002	thru 2
	00000340	1st hunk is x340 longwords (3,328 bytes)
	00007c00	2nd hunk is x7c00 longwords (126,976! bytes)
	00000100 	3rd junk is x100 longwords (1,024 bytes)
	0003e900	supposed to be 000003e9, hunk_code
	00034efa	supposed to be code hunk size
	032c436f	code

after playing around with it, i think it was supposed to look like:

	000003f3	same as before
	00000000
	00000003
	00000000
	00000002
	0000030d	1st hunk is x30d longwords (3,124 bytes)
	0000004d	2nd hunk is x4d longwords (308 bytes)
	00000001	3rd hunk is x1 longwords (4 bytes)
	000003e9	hunk_code
	0000030d	x30d longwords
	4efa032c	code

this passes as a valid "object module", but i haven't tried running
it to see if it really works.  it looks to me like the file was bad
BEFORE it was uuencoded; the .uu file looks fine, and part of the
problem is missing, not just modified, data.  thus, uu-checksums
would NOT have prevented it.  i haven't checked the icons yet, either.
    [at this point, i wonder why metacomco didn't include checksums
in their object module format...]
    in spite of the problems, i have it running on my amiga, and it's
saving me a lot of time every warm-boot.  thanx perry!

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	ihnp4!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink: w hamilton

stever@videovax.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <1359@cadovax.UUCP>, Kerry Zimmerman (kaz@cadovax.UUCP) writes:

[ discussion of problems with the ASDG Recoverable RAM Disk posting ]

> Just thought you would like to know that I experienced the same failures
> when I downloaded with Kermit.  Since I am new to this stuff,
> (uudecode kermit etc) I thought it might have been my error.
>
> Well, last night I used Xmodem to download and then I CHOPed to size.
> All the programs I tested that previously failed ("not an object module")
> now work.
>
> Is this the fault of kermit or what?

I uploaded the files from our VAX/750 using Kermit 4D(060) on both ends
(Amiga Kermit 4D(060) is by those fine fellows at the Software Distillery),
in image mode (no newline-to-carriage return/line feed translation), with
error checking type 3 (16-bit CRC).  To ensure they were uploaded
correctly, I then downloaded them back to the VAX and compared them
with the originals.  All files were identical.

Uudecode (from Fish disk #38, I think) loved them.  The resulting files
appear to work correctly (I only have 512K, so won't be using the RRD
very much!).

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

perry@well.UUCP (01/31/87)

For the people having downloading the ASDG recoverable ram disk with
kermit, please use ``set file type binary'' from within kermit.  Hey
the rrd works  as  posted (except for deleteramdisk which I reposted
correctly).

stever@videovax.UUCP (02/02/87)

In article <172200029@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu>, Wayne Hamilton
(hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu) writes:

> . . .

>     i had trouble downloading asdg.vdisk.device from the vax to my amiga.
> i used c-kermit on the vax end, and i tried both vt100 and akermit on amy.
> i made repeated efforts, making sure i had binary/image mode emabled on
> both kermit's.  i always got complaint-free transfers, but the result was
> always a munged file!  i don't know why kermit was failing, and it makes me
> nervous about kermit in general.  . . .

I have followed a strategy that has proven quite successful at ensuring
reliable uploads from our VAX.  First, I upload the file.  Then, I
download it *back* to the VAX and use diff to compare the original file
with the doubly-copied file.

With Amiga Kermit, this is easily mechanized.  I have a shell script that
walks a directory tree, generating a makescript for the amiga (file
makescript.amiga) which creates any needed directories, a file for the
Kermit "take" command (file takefile.kermit), and a parallel directory
(<directory name>.check) which receives the doubly-copied files.

After the files have been transferred both ways, I use the directory
form of the diff command to compare all of the doubly-copied files
with the original ones (note the use of "more" to control output):

    diff -crs <directory name> <directory name>.check | more

I can begin a transfer and go to bed, secure in the knowledge that the
files will be waiting for me in the morning (the last line of
takefile.kermit is a "bye" command, which causes the VAX Kermit to log
off when the transfer is finished).  The next time I log on, I just diff
the two directories, and any transfer errors are immediately apparent.
This has worked for many megabytes of data.

If anyone is interested in a copy of the shell script, send email to
me.  If I get enough requests, I will post it.

					Steve Rice

{decvax | hplabs | ihnp4 | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

walton@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (02/05/87)

In the referenced articles, a few people complain about problems getting
the ASDG RRD (and other files) into their machine.  One even goes so far
as to transfer all the files back to the original machine, with a diff
to catch any failures.  This sounds like an unnecessary waste of time to
me.
   I think some of the problems people have been having are due to a
recently reported bug in C-Kermit (used under Unix and also the basis
of Amiga Kermit) which can result in a truncated transfer of a binary
file.  Details and a possible bug fix are in mod.protocols.kermit
(Volume 6, Number 1 of the Info-Kermit Digest).  Until the fix is
verified, C-Kermit users had probably best send uuencoded files to
their Amiga's as text and decode them there.