[comp.sys.amiga] NO more restrictions on discussion

grunau_b@husc4.UUCP (02/03/87)

In article <803@pwcs.StPaul.GOV> dennisg@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Dennis Grittner) writes:
>The point of my posting - - PLEASE post all your drivel about
>PC's to some PC newsgroup - and your drivel about Amigas to the
>Amiga newsgroup and likewise for you Atari folk to the Atari
>newsgroup. I WANT TO READ THIS NEWSGROUP TO READ ABOUT MAC's -
>not the other 3 systems. If I want to find out about them I'll
>read the correct newsgroup.
>--
>Dennis Grittner, Computer Services Manager, St. Paul Public Works
>U.S.Mail: Room 700 City Hall Annex, 25 W. 4th St., St. Paul, Minn., 55102
>A.T.&T.: (612)-298-4402 UUCP:{your path to:}ihnp4!mmm!quest!pwcs!dennisg
>"developing nuclear arms for peace is like fu**ing for chastity"

I have a better idea.  Rather than having a few closed-minded people deciding
for the rest of us what we will and will not talk about, let's instead just
ask that they use the KILL option that rn kindly supplies, and let the rest of
us listen to whatever people might have to say about comparing some very
interesting machines.

Some people may think they have heard it all -- but I for one learn something
new with almost every new note posted about 68K-box comparisons.  Frankly, I
have learned more about the Amiga from these notes than I have from reading
all the reviews, articles, AND all the notes in comp.sys.amiga from the past
six months put together!  I am always interested in information, so if you
aren't interested in this discussion, please just skip it, and let the rest of
us who are do what we choose.

									JJMG

jdb@mordor.UUCP (02/03/87)

It appears that the USENET backbone sites strongly favor condensing
the moderated and unmoderated Mac and Amiga newsgroups into a single
*moderated* group.  (This excludes "sources" and "binaries" moderated
groups, which would still be separate.) One of the reasons for this
is the high level of traffic.

The debate regarding the supposed superiority of the Mac, Amiga,
ST (or whatever else) raises the traffic level and increases the
chances that these groups will be forced into moderation.

I think moderation is generally a good idea, but I gather that most
readers of these newsgroups don't.  (Certainly the Amiga enthusiasts
have been vocally opposed to it in the discussion in "news.groups".)
So, you might consider it in your (and everyone else's) best interest
to reduce the volume of "my computer is better than yours" traffic.

P.S. (1) I have nothing to do with the USENET newsgroup reorganization,
except that I am a site administrator and read "news.groups".
(2) If you want to discuss the future of the newsgroup for the Mac, Amiga,
ST, PC, or any other machine, please subscribe to "news.groups" and make
your comments there (don't cross-post to your favorite micro newsgroup).
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb@mordor.s1.gov		(415) 422-0758

tony@artecon.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <1156@husc6.UUCP> grunau_b@husc4.UUCP (Justin J. M. Grunau) writes:
>I have a better idea.  Rather than having a few closed-minded people deciding
>for the rest of us what we will and will not talk about, let's instead just
>ask that they use the KILL option that rn kindly supplies, and let the rest of

    I think the major concern involved is that comp.sys.[mac,amiga,atari] are
all in danger of being moderated (yuck), and the discussion (or arguments)
are rising the traffic of these groups and helping to endanger the very
integrity of these groups.

    So, please try to keep this traffic terse (not verbose) and to the point,
and posted in the proper groups.

      ***** NO to the tyranny of the moderated groups ! *****

      [too much said...]

--
**************** Insert 'Standard' Disclaimer here:  OOP ACK! *****************
*  Tony Parkhurst -- {hplabs|sdcsvax|ncr-sd|hpfcla|ihnp4}!hp-sdd!artecon!adp  *