[comp.sys.amiga] comp.sys.amiga moderation?

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <972@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:

>At a meeting of Usenet admins during USENIX, it was decided to start
>the renaming of the mod.* groups.  This means mod.amiga.sources will
>become a comp group, but will still be moderated.
>
>                                                    It also means
>that mod.amiga and comp.sys.amiga will be merged into comp.sys.amiga,
>and will be moderated.
             ^^^^^^^^^

Since when?  The last two times this confusion came up, I checked with the
net.gods repsonsible for the various postings (Mark Horton and Rick Adams).
They both indicated that the comp.sys.amiga group *was not* to be moderated.

In previous postings, you idicated that it was your intent that the mod.amiga
group was desired by many persons and that you hoped it would eventually
replace the net.micro.amiga group (now comp.sys.amiga).

The relativly small number of postings emitted from the moderated group
(~50 total vs ~750/month) suggests to me that most of the users of this group
prefer the unmoderated format.

Now it is painfully obvious that comp.sys.amiga (like the other popular comp.sys
groups) generate volume out of proportion to their readership.  Perhaps a switch
to the moderated format is the only netwide solution to this problem, but if so,then some discussion is indicated.  There are alternatives, like getting the
sources and binary groups working reliably so that that volume is not reflected
here...

Subjects:

a) would you intend to be the moderator?

b) how would you plan to handle the volume (this is several times that of
   the highest-volume moderated groups most of which are just echo groups
   for essentially unmoderated arpanet mailing lists).

c) what provison for alternate moderators or alternate sites in case the
   moderator/site takes a powder for a time.

d) what kind of turn-around would result for question / answer vollies?

Now as a CBM person, with a massive conflict of interest in the whole thing,
I'll shut up.  But as one of the (unofficial) shepherds of the group, I feel
that the issue deserves discussion rather than just simple notification of
some (possible) netocratic fiat.

mende@aramis.UUCP (01/26/87)

> [... lots of stuff about comp.sys.amiga being moderated deleted for
>      sake of the net and your eyes...]
> Subjects:
>
> a) would you intend to be the moderator?

  At rutgers there are a few of us that have taken on the job of
running the  arpanet side of comp.sys.amiga, INFO-AMIGA.   The first
person to do this Eric Lavitsky.  Eric had to stop moderating
INFO-AMGIA do to his new job and other responsibility.  After a long
interium Eliot Lear took on this task.  Eliot gets very bogged down
with this work and has ask another person, me, to help him.  In other
words moderation (not just letting everything go through) takes more
than one person.

> b) how would you plan to handle the volume (this is several times that of
>    the highest-volume moderated groups most of which are just echo groups
>    for essentially unmoderated arpanet mailing lists).

   What we have been doing is re-formatting postings to 70 colums
(ARPA restrictions) and removing articles that are non benificial for
the general user.  Also we have not been passing source code (have
made some of it available via ftp) and doing just what the name
implys, moderation.

> c) what provison for alternate moderators or alternate sites in case the
>    moderator/site takes a powder for a time.

  We have none, I am sure I could do it if Eliot could not, but there
is nothing official arraged.

> d) what kind of turn-around would result for question / answer vollies?

  Expect at least one week from time of posting to time that it was
seen.  This is not too unrealistic considering the massive volume
that comes in every day.

> Now as a CBM person, with a massive conflict of interest in the whole thing,
> I'll shut up.  But as one of the (unofficial) shepherds of the group, I feel
> that the issue deserves discussion rather than just simple notification of
> some (possible) netocratic fiat.

  I have a few numbers on the time it takes to moderate this group.
We spend approximatly 8-10 man hours per 100 articles.  If anyone can
expect to keep comp.sys.amiga active and up to date, then they have a
truly full time job on their hands.  Eliot and I have been spending
more time that we should doing it.

> George Robbins

				Bob Mende
--
      {Both Reality and this message are figments of my imagination}
ARPA: mende@rutgers.edu     	    BITNET: mende@zodiac.bitnet

perry@well.UUCP (01/27/87)

Sorry Bob, I just don't trust the moderated news group principle any more.
NO TO A MODERATED AMIGA GROUP.

mende@aramis.UUCP (01/28/87)

From: perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz)
> Sorry Bob, I just don't trust the moderated news group principle any more.
> NO TO A MODERATED AMIGA GROUP.

   If I did not make myself clear... I DO NOT WANT ONE EITHER!!  I was
telling everyone the impossiblity of moderating such a high volume
group!

				Bob
--

woods@hao.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <253@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU> mende@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU (Bob Mende) writes:

>   I was
>telling everyone the impossiblity of moderating such a high volume
>group!

  The alternative may be that certain sites that have very high phone bills
but few or no Amiga users may drop the group, thus limiting its distribution
and therefore its usefulness. If you don't want such groups (and this is
not to pick on Amiga; the same applies to Mac, PC, etc. source groups) to
be moderated, then I would recommend coming up with some other ways of
reducing volume to reasonable levels before the hammer falls. Personally,
I don't think there are any, but I certainly welcome constructive suggestions.

--Greg
UUCP: {hplabs, seismo, nbires, noao}!hao!woods
CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
INTERNET: woods@hao.ucar.edu

jxc@rayssd.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <2485@well.UUCP>, perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:

> Sorry Bob, I just don't trust the moderated news group principle any more.
> NO TO A MODERATED AMIGA GROUP.

I will second that!  Need an example?  How about all the great programs
we've all gotten out of mod.sources.amiga the last few months!!  :-(
   |  Jeffrey Jay Clesius,  Raytheon Submarine Signal Division    |
   |  1847 West Main Road,  Mail Stop 188                         |
   |  Portsmouth, RI  02871-1087  (401) 847-8000 (X4015)          |
   |  { allegra | gatech | mirror | raybed2 } -----\              |
   |  { linus   | ihnp4  | uiucdcs } --------------->!rayssd!jxc  |

mwm@eris.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <253@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU> mende@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU (Bob Mende) writes:
>I was telling everyone the impossiblity of moderating such a high volume
>group!

That may be true, but one of the reasons for a moderated group is to
cut the volume down to a level that the backbone sites won't bitch
about and then turn off.

Some other points:

1) Moderated groups can, and do, work well. Check out mod.os.

2) They _don't_ tend to work well if there's a competing non-moderated
	group.	For instance, how many people tried posting sources to
	mod.amiga.sources instead of to comp.sys.amiga? The only
	exception I know of is mod.sources, and that's because one
	of the moderators worked hard at making it work.

3) Most importantly, a moderated newsgroup has to be run from a
	well-connected site. Backbones work best; if the moderator
	doesn't live on a backbone, and can't get an account on a
	backbone site, then the machine the group is run from should
	be connected to a backbone. Note: UCBVAX is _not_ a backbone,
	and you can't get new connectsion to it anyway.

In other words, I predict that any attempt to have a moderated amiga
group will fail (== look like mod.unix) if the unmoderated groups
still exist. If we try cutting to only a moderated group, it's not
clear what will happen. A lot will depend on how hard the moderater is
willing to work at it, cutting out flamage (like the recent MCISBTYC
stuff), repeated answers, and the like. What the job amounts to is
reading comp.sys.amiga, and posting the worthwhile stuff to
mod.sys.amiga. Hmmm - maybe if we used that route for the cutover, it
would work...

	<mike

george@scirtp.UUCP (01/31/87)

> From: perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz)
> > Sorry Bob, I just don't trust the moderated news group principle any more.
> > NO TO A MODERATED AMIGA GROUP.
>
>    If I did not make myself clear... I DO NOT WANT ONE EITHER!!  I was
> telling everyone the impossiblity of moderating such a high volume
> group!
>
> 				Bob
Surely it will be possible for both
	comp.sys.amiga
and	COMP.SYS.AMIGA
to exist.  Nobody really intentionally proposed getting rid
of the non-moderated group, did they?  It is unfortunate if
something was read that way.

cjp@vax135.UUCP (01/31/87)

In article <510@hao.UCAR.EDU> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <253@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU> mende@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU (Bob Mende) writes:
>>
>>   I was
>>telling everyone the impossiblity of moderating such a high volume
>>group!
>
>  The alternative may be that certain sites that have very high phone bills
>but few or no Amiga users may drop the group, thus limiting its distribution
>and therefore its usefulness. If you don't want such groups (and this is
>not to pick on Amiga; the same applies to Mac, PC, etc. source groups) to
>be moderated, then I would recommend coming up with some other ways of
>reducing volume to reasonable levels before the hammer falls. Personally,
>I don't think there are any, but I certainly welcome constructive suggestions.

If the alternatives are a) to cripple the group for EVERYBODY by
enforcing slow, unreliable moderation, or b) to have some low-budget
sites give up on the group and refuse to carry it,  then let us choose
b.  Sure there may be sites cut off from the group who are willing and
able to carry it, when their feeder site drops the group.  This is
relatively easy to fix by just finding another site to connect to.
"You get what you pay for" applies here.

There is currently more than one way to skin a cat, requiring only a
sufficiency of funds at *participating* sites.  With moderation, there
is only one way to skin the cat and the cat can't be relied upon to
cooperate.  It's a problem of compound probabilities.  P(entire mail
path to moderator is working) * P(moderator's machine is working) *
P(moderator is not vacationing or doing her day job) * P(moderator
likes your posting) * P(moderator doesn't lose or mangle your posting)
* P(your posting is still relevant four weeks later when it finally
comes around) is a good approximation of zero.

Besides, is there really *that* much "fat" to be trimmed?  On balance,
for comp.sys.amiga, I think not.

	Charles Poirier   (USENET)!vax135!cjp

Disclaimer: I don' need no steeenkin' disclaimer.

lear@aramis.UUCP (02/01/87)

On the subject of moderation of this newsgroup, I am of the opinion that
much of the useful information is drown out by superfluous postings and
widgets (you know the ones "> soandso said thisandthat").  I guess I am
not really in favor of complete moderation after actually moderating on
the arpanet for a while.  It is very hard to judge what actually is
important and what is trash.  However, I really wish that some of the
people out there would take a little care with regard to what they post
on the net.  Many questions can be answered by reading the manual and in
many cases, only ONE answer is required.  Also, a message need not be
quoted in its entirety or AT ALL in many cases.  Furthermore, many
questions can be answered locally without posting to the net.

In short, let's try to moderate comp.sys.amiga by individually moderating
ourselves.  (I can hear the backbone administrators laughing from here..)

	Anyway, that's my $.02 for what it's worth,

					Eliot Lear
					Info-Amiga Moderator
--

[lear@rutgers.rutgers.edu]
[{harvard|pyrnj|seismo|ihnp4}!rutgers!lear]

jones@dg_rtp.UUCP (02/02/87)

In article <510@hao.UCAR.EDU> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <253@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU> mende@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU (Bob Mende) writes:
>>telling everyone the impossiblity of moderating such a high volume
>>group!
>  The alternative may be that certain sites that have very high phone bills
>but few or no Amiga users may drop the group, thus limiting its distribution
>be moderated, then I would recommend coming up with some other ways of
>reducing volume to reasonable levels before the hammer falls. Personally,
>j don't think there are any, but I certainly welcome constructive suggestions.

If the discussion of Mac vs. Amiga vs. Atari could be stopped it would cut
down at least 30 %.  Lets keep this bullentin board unModerated by limiting
discussion to useful information about the amiga, personally if I wanted to
know about the Mac or the Atari I would read their boards !

--

				Greg Jones
				Data General, RTP, NC

glee@cognos.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) (02/03/87)

Judging from the current state of affairs in the Amiga groups, I would say
that a single unmoderated group is the best solution. The signal to noise
ratio is good, software that are posted are high quality, software is
effectively archived via the Fred Fish disks, all the benefits of a moderated
group and a moderated source group supposedly provides!!

If the group (comp.sys.amiga - unmoderated) deteriorates, let's re-examine.
For now, LEAVE IT ALONE AND LET US STOP DISCUSSING THIS - THIS IS NOISE!
Godfrey Lee, Cognos Incorporated, 3755 Riverside Drive,
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1G 3N3
(613) 738-1440				decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!glee

ross@ulowell.UUCP (02/05/87)

I think that before people judge the comp.sys.amiga group to be too high
in volume, they should keep in mind that there is NO effective sources
group for the Amiga.  All the sources are therefore posted to the
discussion group, as well as the discussion.  This is why the volume is
so high.  If a working sources group was set up, the moderated one
is a well known black hole, then people would use it; people who only
wanted to see discussion, but not get massive source files would no
longer be inconvienenced.
	Please don't moderate comp.sys.amiga.  I know the person who
moderates mod.amiga.  And he definantly could do it if he had too, but it is
really too much to expect any 1 person with moderate a discussion group
with the popularity of comp.sys.amiga.
	[insert arguments about unreliability of moderated groups here]

	So, why not get the sources stuff working, and then see what
the volume is like before condeming the group to death.

							Ross Miller

uucp: ross@ulowell.uucp
csnet: ross@ulowell.csnet

thomps@gitpyr.UUCP (02/07/87)

In article <510@hao.UCAR.EDU>, woods@hao.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
> In article <253@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU> mende@aramis.RUTGERS.EDU (Bob Mende) writes:
> >
> >   I was
> >telling everyone the impossiblity of moderating such a high volume
> >group!
>
>   The alternative may be that certain sites that have very high phone bills
> but few or no Amiga users may drop the group, thus limiting its distribution
> and therefore its usefulness. If you don't want such groups (and this is
> not to pick on Amiga; the same applies to Mac, PC, etc. source groups) to
> be moderated, then I would recommend coming up with some other ways of
> reducing volume to reasonable levels before the hammer falls. Personally,
> I don't think there are any, but I certainly welcome constructive suggestions.

Gregs comments are very important. I am not sure if everyone who reads this
group actually understands how the net works. The net is dependent on back
bone sites which pass along the entire volume of net traffic. For the last
couple of years there have been continual complaints about high cost of
phone bills for these sites and thus pushes for moderation of high volume
news groups. If a back bone site desides to drop a news group, it restricts the number of sites that receive it. It may not happen only to sites with few
amiga users. Even sites that have a lot of readers of a group may succomb to
cost problems especially since many are academic institutions. Concerted
action of news administrators at back bone several sites has eliminated
binary postings in the ibm pc group. They accomplished this by simply
stating that the news group would be dropped if the postings did not cease.
Unfortunately, it can happen to comp.sys.amiga too. I don't want moderation
but perhaps everyone could stop and think before posting another Ammiga vs.
the world (or world vs. amiga) tirade.
group would be dropped if such postings continued.
--
Ken Thompson  Phone : (404) 894-7089
Georgia Tech Research Institute