[comp.sys.amiga] Moving the external

hutch@sdcsvax.UUCP (02/04/87)

<>
Other than voiding my 90 day warranty, does anyone know of any pitfalls in
moving the quiet panasonic drive to inside the chasis, and the noisy NEC
drive out to the A1010 box?

It's not just noise alone, the rom sockets in the CMI rom kit won't fit under
the contrary-to-spec NEC drive, but will fit under the apparently-to-spec
Panasonic drive.  Is it as simple as plugging in the power and data cables
correctly, or do I have to switch a jumper or other such magical switch?

--
    Jim Hutchison   		UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!hutch
		    		ARPA:	Hutch@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <2684@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> hutch@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Jim Hutchison) writes:
><>
>Other than voiding my 90 day warranty, does anyone know of any pitfalls in
>moving the quiet panasonic drive to inside the chasis, and the noisy NEC
>drive out to the A1010 box?

No, just be aware that some of the drives have the 34 pin connector running
the opposite way from others and you may have to make a new ribbon cable with
a "knot" in it if the drives have different arrangements...

>It's not just noise alone, the rom sockets in the CMI rom kit won't fit under
>the contrary-to-spec NEC drive, but will fit under the apparently-to-spec
>Panasonic drive.

Mumble, grumble - have you ever seen a "spec" 3.25 drive? The original Panasonic
drives were even fatter!  There is really no "standard height" 3.25 drive, they
just keep getting thinner as time goes on...