[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Repairs: Successful

jwabik@umnd-cs.UUCP (02/03/87)

A while back I posted a question regarding the failing of my real-time clock..
Andy Finkel and Dave Haynie responded that "...  the 8520 chip is broken ..."

Sure enough.

My 8520 order finally arrived at my dealer today, and after about 1 hour of
slow and careful replacement (its really a 10 minute job, but I'm not a *real*
hardware hacker..), I'm now watching the second hand on my clock swing around
quite nicely..   A note of thanks to both you guys..  Who was it that said
Commodore doesn't provide support?

The whole experience gained me an interesting piece of trivia (forgive
me if this has come up before), too..  As I was replacing the top cover,
I noticed that there are 52 signatures, assumedly the "creators" of the
Amiga, as raised surfaces on the inside of the cover.  (Actually, 52
signatures and something that looked like a dog's pawprint.  I'm not quite
sure what to make of that.. )   The "John Hancock" award goes to Robert J.
Michal, and the inverse thinking award goes to Rob Peck.

Oh.. One more question to you CBM'ers..  If you REALLY know everything
about Amiga hardware...  Tell me where this one last screw goes...  8^)

Thanks again!

	-Jeff

mikeb@cbmvax.UUCP (02/04/87)

The dogs footprint on the inside of the top cover belongs to Mitchie,
Jay Miner's constant canine companion. (Jay is the "father" of the
custom graphics chips.)

     - Mike -

r5k@psuvm.bitnet.UUCP (02/04/87)

Well, seeing that his problem was fixed correctly, I'll post mine and hope
for the best.
I've been having a strange problem with the graphics. Every once in a while,
when various objects are moved around the screen, they leave behind specs.
This is very prominent in Deluxe Paint when Moving brushes. They leave many
stray dots all over. When I swap screens and swap back, the dots usually
dissapear, but not always.. Any Ideas what the problem could be?
(its not the software, and does it in 1.2 along with 1.1)
  psuvma.bitnet!R5K
Randy Katz

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <10058R5K@PSUVMA> R5K@PSUVMA.BITNET writes:
>I've been having a strange problem with the graphics. Every once in a while,
>when various objects are moved around the screen, they leave behind specs.
>This is very prominent in Deluxe Paint when Moving brushes. They leave many
>stray dots all over. When I swap screens and swap back, the dots usually
>dissapear, but not always.. Any Ideas what the problem could be?
>(its not the software, and does it in 1.2 along with 1.1)
>  psuvma.bitnet!R5K Randy Katz

Sounds like you've got a bad chip in there somewhere - service time, since
it probably won't get any better.  It could be a bad agnus or denise chip
or just some marginal timing problem...