[comp.sys.amiga] PCCopy Woes...

bliv@mit-eddie.UUCP (02/06/87)

	I seem to have discovered a bug in the PCCopy utilities on the
Enhancer Extras disk!  I have a one 3 1/2" drive, one 5 1/4" drive,
and a MicroBotics Starboard II fully popped to 2 megs (to give you
folks an idea of the hardware that may cause this bug).

	The deal is that I run up PCcopy and I can't get the 5 1/4"
drive to recognize MS-DOS format disks.  Yes, I remembered not to
'mount' the 5 1/4", and I remembered to hit the 'diskchange' box in
the utility after I started it up.  I couldn't figure out what I had
done wrong!

	Here's the weird part: I got this bright idea to unplug the
fast memory from the expansion bus, and, lo and behold, PCCopy started
working just fine, moving files back and forth from the MS-DOS disk to
AmigaDOS disks (!?).  Ok, fine and dandy, that probably means the
utility doesn't run properly in fast mem, so I can just memgrab and
get the system to work, right?  WRONG.  It seems the only way I can
get the darn utility to work is to unplug my memory expansion
[:-(].

	My question is whether or not this bug is due to my memory
board, or a bug in the utility package.  Can somebody with close to
the same setup duplicate this bizarre behavior?  If so, I wanna know
why, Commodore... after being shafted with transformer, why can't I at
least move my text files back and forth without cabling?  Well, at
least I can still use the 5 1/4" as a 440K drive (sigh).

			Frustrated and Confused,

			Jim Haleblian (bliv!mit-eddie)

mikeb@cbmvax.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <4753@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> bliv@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Jim "Bliv" Haleblian) writes:

>	I seem to have discovered a bug in the PCCopy utilities on the
>Enhancer Extras disk!  I have a one 3 1/2" drive, one 5 1/4" drive,
>and a MicroBotics Starboard II fully popped to 2 megs...
>	The deal is that I run up PCcopy and I can't get the 5 1/4"
>drive to recognize MS-DOS format disks.
>
>	Here's the weird part: I got this bright idea to unplug the
>fast memory from the expansion bus, and, lo and behold, PCCopy started
>working just fine, moving files back and forth from the MS-DOS disk to
>AmigaDOS disks (!?).
>			Frustrated and Confused,
>
>			Jim Haleblian (bliv!mit-eddie)
The PCCopy utilities were tested with 2 3 1/2" drives 1 5 1/4 and a 512k Allegra
expansion board. -No problems-  We have a 2Meg Starboard here and will test
your configuration with a single 3 1/2" drive.