[comp.sys.amiga] Request for hard disk driver info

candym@calgary.UUCP (01/26/87)

I have recently obtained an SCSI hard drive sub-system for a very
good price that I'd like to use on my Amiga. The system came with a
host adapter for a Motorola EXORciser bus, which I have succesfully
adapted to the expansion port. (No auto-configure)
Success being determined by:
	i)  writing a small test program that accesses the registers of
	    the host adapter causing the heads to step. (interrupts disabled)
	ii) observing expected signals on the bus.
	iii)the heads step.
	iv) the status registers contain valid values.

I now need to write (or obtain) a driver. After reading the appropriate
sections of the RKM, I still don't know how to go about this. I'm
currently running under 1.2, and can create the appropriate entry in
DEVS:Mountlist, with DEVICE = L:harddisk.device. The questions are what
parameters does it get passed and what in skeleton form does it need to do?

You still can't purchase an official enhancer (V1.2) package around here,
so any information contained in that documentation is not available to me
at the moment. Is there any pertinent information in the enhancer
package?

I have looked at the skeleton handler provided by Phillip Lindsay posted
mid Oct. 86. Though this is not what I require it was a starting point.
The executable worked as advertised, however when I tried to recreate
the executable from the given source it hangs in WaitPort() waiting
for the initial startup message. All the passed parameters look
reasonable to me. I'm using Lattice 3.10 and did have stack checking
disabled. Did any one get this example to work? Were there any follow
up articles with corrections? Is any one at Commodore planning to post
a similar article for device drivers?

Thanks to any and all for any info.
Mike
						Mike Candy
UUCP:	..!{ubc-vision,ihnp4}!alberta!calgary!candym
BIX:	mrcandy		(not checked very often)

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (02/02/87)

In article <767@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> candym@calgary.UUCP (Mike Candy) writes:

>I now need to write (or obtain) a driver. After reading the appropriate
>sections of the RKM, I still don't know how to go about this. I'm
>currently running under 1.2, and can create the appropriate entry in
>DEVS:Mountlist, with DEVICE = L:harddisk.device. The questions are what
>parameters does it get passed and what in skeleton form does it need to do?

   You need a harddisk.device driver for your harddisk, not a handler.
I think most harddisks use the same handler as the trackdisks.
Check out Lee Erickson's sample device driver on Fish Disk 39.
It can be used as the starting point for a harddisk.device.

carolyn
Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

candym@calgary.UUCP (02/09/87)

Thanks Carolyn for the pointer to Lee Erickson's example disk driver,
I'm modifing it for my hardware and things look good. Many thanks to
Lee for providing an excellent example.

During my latest tests (and many times before) I would like to have
been able to have used Wack when I guru, unfortunately I don't have
a 9600 baud terminal available. I DO have a debug terminal (an old
printer with keyboard) but it doesn't support 9600 baud. I could
build a little bi-directional buffer board to do a baud rate
translation, but a software solution would be much preffered.

I assume Wack gets loaded into the WCS from Kickstart; is it possible
to use one of those little routines that sit in ram to patch the WCS
so that Wack uses other baud rates?? ( I forget the proper name for this)
Failing that how about a location and value on the Kisckstart disk itself
to patch  to get a different baud rate. I'm using Kickstart 33.180,
Workbench 33.47, and would be interested in 300 baud (slow is better
than what I've got now!)

Thanks