[comp.sys.amiga] What document describes disk layout?

pwu@uwmacc.UUCP (02/09/87)

Can someone tell me which document describes the disk layout on
floppy disks (i.e. structures of directories, how file sectors
are linked together, etc)? Thanks.

Also, what's the present interleave factor on floppy? If it's not
optimal is it possible to change it?

peter
/*
** ARPA: pwu@unix.macc.wisc.edu              BITNET: WU at WISVMACC
** UUCP: {seismo|harvard|topaz|caip|ll-xn|                      <-+
**        allegra|akgua|ucbvax|bellcore|ihnp4}!uwvax!uwmacc!pwu   |
**                                                                |
**   Uuhosts on this line may have faster delivery time.  --------+
*/

cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <1037@uwmacc.UUCP>, pwu@uwmacc.UUCP (Peter Wu) writes:
> Can someone tell me which document describes the disk layout on
> floppy disks (i.e. structures of directories, how file sectors
> are linked together, etc)? Thanks.

Yup, it's the AmigaDOS Technical Reference manual. This is part of the
Bantam Book, in the developer set it is a separate manual. Much can
be gleaned by running disked while reading this manual. Note: Disked
is also documented in there.

> Also, what's the present interleave factor on floppy? If it's not
> optimal is it possible to change it?
> peter

I think what you are really asking is "Is it possible to speed up the
floppies?" But to answer your original question, there is no interleave
factor since the trackdisk.device reads floppies a full track at a
time.

--
--Chuck McManis

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (02/10/87)

> Can someone tell me which document describes the disk layout on
> floppy disks (i.e. structures of directories, how file sectors
> are linked together, etc)? Thanks.
>
> Also, what's the present interleave factor on floppy? If it's not
> optimal is it possible to change it?
>
> peter

The document I've used in the past is the AmigaDOS Technical Reference
Manual, from the original "Phonebook" collection of Amiga reference
books.  I believe the contents of this book are available in the Addison
Wesley bookstore series, probably as part of the AmigaDOS User/Reference
Manual (whatever they call it; the one that describes AmigaDOS, the
CLI, etc.).

The book contains information on the basic disk layout.  Essentially, each
floppy (or other device with a file structure) is organized as a logical
sequence of 512 byte blocks.  The floppy has around 1760 of these blocks.
Blocks have various types.  A ROOT block is a one-per disk item, found at
block 880 on the floppy.  This contains the hash table for the disk's
root directory, plus the block allocation map for the disk.  A related type
is a root extension, which extends the block allocation map for large
devices.  Next is the user directory block.  Each of these contains its
own hash table for what's contained within it (in either case, the hash
table is made up of 72 longword pointers, representing disk block
locations).  Files all start with a file header.  The file header contains
pointers to each block in the file, the file name, size, a pointer to
the first block in a file, and a pointer back to the parent directory.  Also
avaiable is an extension pointer, which points to a file extension block,
which will contain another set of block pointers, used for large files.
Thus, a file header and its extension blocks contain pointers to each 512
byte block in the file.  Each of the blocks actually making up the file is
a data block.  Data blocks have pointers to the next block in the sequence,
the file header, some other bookkeeping stuff, and 488 bytes of data. Due
to the random links available in file headers and the serial links
available in data blocks, most or all of any file under AmigaDOS can be
recovered independently of any other file or directory.  You could clobber
every directory entry on a disk and still get back every file, undamaged.

As for interleave factor, there isn't any.  All floppy read/writes are
done by the Paula chip as full track reads/writes; never are individual
sectors addressed by the hardware.
Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

     "You can keep my things, they've come to take me home"
						-Peter Gabriel