[comp.sys.amiga] Window limits in Interlaced Workbench

john13@garfield.UUCP (02/09/87)

[]

Yesterday I got to thinking about some of the uses of Workbench interlace
under 1.2. I tried Scribble 1.0 in 640X400, but the window _limits_ were set to
640X200! Now, I'm all for bigger and better machines and everything, but
Scribble is my favourite Amiga wordprocessor (although I like Professional
Text Engine better for plain text), and it won't allow me to do something
that the C-128 can do (yes, Pocket Writer II allows you to do WYSIWYG editing
in 640X400, don't ask me how)!

** Can anyone come up with a patch to change the "200" in the window structure
definition to a "400"? Would resizing the window be likely to break the
program (it seems to me that it shouldn't)? In a more general fashion, how
difficult would it be to grep an executable for a particular string (the title
of a screen, window, or menu item), and then locate pointer references to that
string? I can imagine a display screen with something like

struct Window Window = {
	<list of items & comments>
};

Wish to change parameter (y/n)?

The labelled parameters in the structure declaration should make it clear
whether or not it is actually the right spot in the code, or just a random
integer that happens to be a pointer to the string, ie if the top edge is
at 0xffff, 0x4232 you know you need to look farther on.

This might be helpful for cutting down the # of bitplanes in some of those
applications using custom screens, moving poorly placed submenu hit boxes,
etc.

But since I'm not familiar with the format of executable files, I'll leave
that to some other enterprising soul (perhaps the authors themselves, or
beta tester with source?).

--------------

Since we are soon to see an improved printer.device (what? you mean I can't
quote you guys on that?), if anyone does write a skeleton driver to intercept
calls to the printer.device, one of the nice things that I would like to see
added is the redirection of a print job (control codes and all) to a file,
maybe under a standard name like "capture:logfile", with capture: being a
re-assignable directory. The chances of my getting a laser printer within
10 feet of my Amiga are slim to none for the foreseeable future, but I do
know of a few (and a couple of plotters also) that might be used if I only
had some way to upload completed print files. There is already an ST utility
to do this...

-------------

I've seen recent messages announcing the return of mod.amiga.sources (under
a variety of different names). Now, there have been some recent postings
from mod.amiga, but none reaching here in the sources/binaries newsgroups.
I was told that any that came in destined for uncreated newsgroups would be
funnelled to the local "junk" newsgroup; I've been monitoring it, without
success. Has anyone received any postings from these newsgroups (or under
other newsgroup names) since #45??????

-------------

John

dfisk@ulowell.UUCP (02/11/87)

In article <3459@garfield.UUCP> john13@garfield.UUCP writes:
>[]
>
>Yesterday I got to thinking about some of the uses of Workbench interlace
>under 1.2. I tried Scribble 1.0 in 640X400, but the window _limits_ were set to
>640X200! Now, I'm all for bigger and better machines and everything, but
>Scribble is my favourite Amiga wordprocessor (although I like Professional
>Text Engine better for plain text), and it won't allow me to do something
>that the C-128 can do (yes, Pocket Writer II allows you to do WYSIWYG editing
>in 640X400, don't ask me how)!

I haven't tried Version 1.0 (I have 2.0) of Scribble! but I think that this
might be your problem.  To my knowledge 2.0 is their release for Workbench
1.2, in fact they recommend using 1.2.  I have used Scribble! 2.0 with the
Workbench interlace on, and with a simple resizing of the window, you're in
buisness.  If you don't have 2.0 then I would recommend getting it, as they
seem to have made a number of improvements to it such as the SpellCheck and
MailMerge additions, plus a few small features such as not having to click
on requesters before typing in them.

Hope I've been some help,
David Fisk
Sorry, no .signature yet.