[comp.sys.amiga] Shell V2.05, mea culpa

reh@rayssde.UUCP (01/30/87)

	A previous posting of mine raised suspicions that the Shell V2.05
had reintroduced a problem from the Shell V2.03 which occasionally caused
disks to be trashed.  Through correspondence with Steve Drew I was able to
reproduce the problem (mine).  After editing/exiting a file I was not waiting
sufficient time for all the disk I/O to complete before rebooting.
Apparently this was causing one of the disk's bitmap to be corrupted
(Track 0, sector 0).  Again I apologize for casting doubt on such a fine tool.

				Mea Culpa,  Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa

cjp@vax135.UUCP (02/02/87)

I've occasionally trashed Workbenches by chucking them into the drive and
rebooting too soon.  Folks, *don't* reboot while your drive lights are on!

phils@tekigm2.UUCP (02/03/87)

In article <1748@vax135.UUCP> cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>I've occasionally trashed Workbenches by chucking them into the drive and
>rebooting too soon.  Folks, *don't* reboot while your drive lights are on!

And I've occasionally trashed disks by pulling them out of drives before
drive activity has *started*. (Too quick with the eject button). I suspect
that this happens when data has been written to the disk buffers, but not
yet actually written to the disk. Sometimes I've seen a lag of a
second or more between typing commands which should generate a disk access
and actually seeing the access take place.

My new procedure is to wait ~ 5 seconds after taking my hands off the
keyboard and after disk activity has apparently completed.

Phil Staub              tektronix!tekigm!phils    (206) 253-5634
Tektronix, Inc., ISI Engineering
P.O.Box 3500, M/S C1-904, Vancouver, Washington  98668

news@umnd-cs.UUCP (02/11/87)

[here boy eat this]

In article <1748@vax135.UUCP> cjp@vax135.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:

>I've occasionally trashed Workbenches by chucking them into the drive and
>rebooting too soon.  Folks, *don't* reboot while your drive lights are on!

Well I think its alright to reboot while your light is on, BUT (This is
important), don't reboot when the head is reading or writing. I have rebooted
a disk that was spinning and the light was on, and it still work A O.K.
Just listen to you disk drive for any action or a repeating pattern and at
the right time ,POW, reboot the system.
At least its better to try this way then really trashing a disk.

Badges, We don't need no stinking Badges......

- pat

farren@hoptoad.UUCP (02/12/87)

In article <383@umnd-cs-gw.umnd-cs.UUCP> pkenny1@umn-d-ub.UUCP (Pat Kenny) writes:
>Well I think its alright to reboot while your light is on, BUT (This is
>important), don't reboot when the head is reading or writing. I have rebooted
>a disk that was spinning and the light was on, and it still work A O.K.
>Just listen to you disk drive for any action or a repeating pattern and at
>the right time ,POW, reboot the system.
>At least its better to try this way then really trashing a disk.

I'm amazed.  Someone who can actually hear the electrons running through
the heads.  Such little critters, they must make very tiny noises!  Ser-
iously, DON'T DO IT!  I've trashed too many disks by taking them out when
I "knew" it was safe.

--
                 "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness